Could changing oil too often damage the engine?

First of all before I start this I want to apologize if I sound dumb, my english is not very good.

Having said that, I just wanted to know about your thoughts on this topic:

Since my driving habits are about to change (i'm gonna drive repetitive short distances on a daily basis) I was thinking on readjusting the OCI.

I'm planning on changing oil every 6 months or 7.500 km (whichever occurs first).

The problem here has to do with doing 2 oil changes per year. During the oil change procedure, many people fill the new filter with oil, but in my case I cannot do this so I have to install it empty (in my car at least I can't pour oil in it, because when I try to screw the filter it drops).

The main issue is that every time we start up the engine after the oil change, the oil filter is empty and the engine works with zero oil during maybe one minute I guess, accelerating the wear and tear of the engine.

All in all, my main question is: changing oil twice a year will put the engine in this kind of adverse environment when starting up the car two times per year, is that worth it?

Last edited:
I change oil 4 times a year on a vehicle mainly to use up a portion of my oil stash. I’ve heard that fresh oil that’s just pour isn’t as good as those that have been in the vehicle for 1000miles or do. Not sure if there’s any truth to it.

The main issue is that every time we start up the engine after the oil change, the oil filter is empty and the engine works with zero oil during maybe one minute I guess, accelerating the wear and tear of the engine.

All in all, my main question is: changing oil twice a year will put the engine in this kind of adverse environment when starting up the car two times per year, is that worth it?
First off the engine isn't running without oil for a minute, a few seconds at most. The parts are covered with residual oil, so no worries there either. Changing it twice a year is fine. Get a UOA after a 6 month run and post it here, you might be able to run it for a year.

Oil pumps move a tremendous volume of oil very quickly. Cartridge filters that can't be pre-filled wouldn't exist if the motor wasn't building oil pressure almost instantaneously. Please try not to worry about it.

Danno (post #2) is right. You're overthinking this.

You can turn your engine over to pump oil without starting it by using the "clear flooded engine" method.
This works on all fuel injected engines.
1) Turn key to ON. This lights up the dashboard. Don't start the engine.
2) Press the accelerator all the way to the floor. This tells your vehicle's computer to shut off spark and fuel delivery.
3) Crank the engine for 2 or 3 seconds. You've built up oil pressure.
4) Release key and accelerator.
5) Start as usual.

I do this in my truck as its engine has large, oil filled timing chain tensioners which benefit from being full.
Even though cranking speed is low, it still takes no time at all to pump up some oil pressure or fill a filter.

(i'm gonna drive repetitive short distances on a daily basis)
What does this mean?
If, for example.... [drive 5 minutes-off 5 minutes].....[drive 5 minutes-off 5 minutes] repeated all day. This would be very hard on the engine and oil. Changing oil every 7,500km [4,700 miles] would not be often enough.

Danno (post #2) is right. You're overthinking this.

You can turn your engine over to pump oil without starting it by using the "clear flooded engine" method.
This works on all fuel injected engines.

1) Turn key to ON. This lights up the dashboard. Don't start the engine.
2) Press the accelerator all the way to the floor. This tells your vehicle's computer to shut off spark and fuel delivery.
3) Crank the engine for 2 or 3 seconds. You've built up oil pressure.
4) Release key and accelerator.
5) Start as usual.

I do this in my truck as its engine has large, oil filled timing chain tensioners which benefit from being full.
Even though cranking speed is low, it still takes no time at all to pump up some oil pressure or fill a filter.
No, it doesn't. It may work on some, even many, fuel-injected engines, but far from all. Example: doesn't work on my Camry.

What does this mean?
If, for example.... [drive 5 minutes-off 5 minutes].....[drive 5 minutes-off 5 minutes] repeated all day. This would be very hard on the engine and oil. Changing oil every 7,500km [4,700 miles] would not be often enough.

I drive between 5.000 and 10.000 km per year. If I change oil every 6 months I would do it every 5.000 km at most.

i drive back and forth 2,5 km 2 times per day five days per week, in other words, I drive 10 km every day divided in 4 trips.

So when I said 7.500 km I really meant 5.000 km or 6 months, whichever occurs first, and most likely I'll gonna reach always 6 months before reaching said mileage

Not correct. First off it’s not “zero oil” since the oil film is still present. Second it’s nowhere near one minute.

Back