I picked up a 3/8" composite rachet from HF today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are quite a few deals in April such as 1/4 torque wrench ($13) and corded impact wrench ($40). I received the printed April 2011 issue at home. I think I will be making a list :)

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
There are quite a few deals in April such as 1/4 torque wrench ($13) and corded impact wrench ($40). I received the printed April 2011 issue at home. I think I will be making a list :)

- Vikas

That $40 corded impact wrench is great. I used mine for rotating tires last weekend and it was great. It's got tons of power and had no problem budging the lug nuts quickly. Considering the size of compressor I'd need to replace it with a air impact wrench, it a heck of a deal. I saw a Goodyear brand at one of the auto-parts store that was obviously made by the same people on sale for $20-30 more.

I even finished it up with my 1/2" torque wrench.

I see they have that small head boroscope on sale,i am tempted but then what do i do with the Milwaukee?

Last edited:
However, each and every coupon in the Apr 2011 issue is super coupon, so you can NOT stack 20% on top of the sale prices any more.

They also have the "Chonda" engine for $95. It is the cheapest that I have ever seen. If anybody needs to re power their 6 HP Tecmush engine, this is the time to buy it.

- Vikas

In our Harbor Freight sale paper we just got in the mail they had the 6.5HP Chonda in both horizontal and vertical shaft versions for $89. Hard to beat that.

I had never seen vertical shaft version for cheap price before. Is that equally rated by users? I might consider it for my real Honda lawn mower as I am not too thrilled with its performance.
If anybody finds an electronic copy of the coupon or if scans the paper copy, I would appreciate it.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Just finished changing the oil using my new HF composite 3/8" ratchet, and all can say is, that thing works like buttah! Worth every cent, or more, imo.

It feels better than the Craftsman ratchets I've owned for 35+ years, and those are better than the Craftsman ratchets in the tool set I bought for my son as a present this past Christmas. I like the very fine teeth, and the composite feel and construction. Had to take the first one I bought back because the quick release button was cracked, no issue exchange. Don't how well it will hold up, but not concerned with the easy exchange.

My rating
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I got one yesterday after reading everything on here. Haven't used it yet, but it is very smooth and comfortable in the hand!

I have a 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet. 2 things I don't like.

1.The lever that switches ratchet directions works opposite than all my other ratchets.

2.The grey color is impossible to keep clean.

Got all 3 composite ratchets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" versions. They feel great in the hand, and I like the 72 tooth action. They seem much nicer than the raised-panel Craftsman ratchets that came in the tool kit purchased earlier this year.

I'm liking mine. Seems some of their tools are of pretty good quality.
27.gif
The nice thing about having a HF store near by is being able to actually touch the tools. I probably would have passed on a lot of their tools if buying from the catalog was my only choice.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Got all 3 composite ratchets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" versions. They feel great in the hand, and I like the 72 tooth action. They seem much nicer than the raised-panel Craftsman ratchets that came in the tool kit purchased earlier this year.

I have an older 3/8 and a newer 1/2 and I like 3/8 *lot* more than the 1/2. For some reason, the 1/2 just does not seem to be "balanced" in my hand. This could be just my problem with all 1/2 ratchets as I am not used to working with 1/2.

As far as the "backward lever", it has dual pawls inside which makes it work backward from most other ratchets but it also makes it little more sturdier.

- Vikas

Vikas - One of these days I'll probably break down and buy one of those composite wrenches. 3/8" makes most sense for me. I admit the handle is nice and the shape isn't something they could likely make lightweight in a steel rachet.

Do you have a 20% off one item coupon for HF or was it 20% off the "Whole order"? If it was the later, where did you find it?

They emailed me the 20% off over $100 code. I can not share because it has a unique code on it.

If you are on their mailing list, check you email.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
They emailed me the 20% off over $100 code. I can not share because it has a unique code on it.

If you are on their mailing list, check you email.

- Vikas

I see it - My code was good for 6 days and expired on 3/27. I guess I didn't look at it twice because I tend to only buy items with coupons and the ones I use the 20% off on tend to be less than $100. Also, the coupons for less than $100 weren't great discounts. Thanks for the reply back.

I am not even sure if they would let me use the 20% off over $100 *after* buying all the super coupon items. I am thinking of making a "dry run" on the web and see if their software makes a stink or not.

I have a huge list and I suspect it is already more than $100

- Vikas

Yesterday I picked up a socket set in a small thrift store I go to. $6 bought me a complete Craftsman V logo 3/8 ratchet set plus inside was a Mac 3/8 swivel, Snap On 1/2 long extension, and a few extra sockets. Got a bag full of other wrenches and drivers for another $5 or so. All made in USA.

Last week I bought another bag full of sockets and various wrenches and screwdrivers for $4 , all USA makes, some I never heard of. There were two 8 pt sockets which I haven't owned. I assume 8 pts are used with square nuts.

I am getting interested in all these makes/versions of USA made tools and collecting them.

The Craftsman V logos were made by Moore mfg and history tells they had to open a new factory to keep up with the demand for Craftsman back in the day. Now the Craftsman appears to be made by Armstrong. This process is called growing the economy.

Craftsman has some new full polish fine tooth ratchets that are ergonomic, and ave a metal direction lever. Used it for the tbelt repair, very smooth and worth the extra few bucks $30 (US made.) Much better than the garbage tool set cmans.

The full polish are probably Armstrong made. They look like it, Danaher, or now Apex I believe, other name brands seem mostly made in China now. Armstrong is 100% USA. I have two of the newer Cman ones with black lever. They seem to work fine enough for me, not sure if the lever is plastic, it looks like that, but may not be. I was poking at it and it seems pretty hard. If it is plastic it is doing the job. I wouldn't say they are garbage. If breaks I get a new one by driving to Sears, assuming Sears is around still.
I'm getting so many old ones I will never use them all up anyway.
At least someone in my own country is going to work in a factory, making them honestly, and they are being sold for an honest price.

i have some of those too with the plastic levers, they get the job done and take a beating. My 3/8 and 1/2 have served me very well. Every year I take all my ratchets apart, (snap on, SK, cman) and pack them with basic syn valvoline grease. Only ratchet I had fail was a chinese husky ratchet that I got as a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back