I picked up a 3/8" composite rachet from HF today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I can assure you that this will be one of the best six dollar purchase you could make!

I agree.

I cannot say enough good things about this ratchet. I hate to admit that I actually like a China-tool but I really like this one.

It is actually a Taiwan tool, NOT a China tool (I don't know if that makes a difference to you though :)

- Vikas

I couldn't resist and went back and grabbed the 1/4" and 1/2" versions as well. I looked for the orange label tools, IMO for the money they can't be beat.

I got to use the composite ratchet last night and I have to admit that it felt pretty good. HF sure has a variety of ratchets now.
They have a slim ratchet - has one drive size on one end and another drive size on the other end and these come in two different lengths. They don't have the thickness of standard ratchets. even the body is like a standard combination wrench. Sort of like ratcheting wrenches. These anyway are I believe around $20 for the short size and $30 for the longer, and next trip I'll consider getting them.
So it has a thin head and body, but instead of being a ratcheting wrench, these drive a socket. Different IMO.

Last week I picked up the 1/2" dr. adjustable length ratchet. I think after using the 1/4" composite last night, I'll now add the 3/8 & 1/2 when ever I go and they have them on sale.

Demar,

Did you get the orange label 1/2 composite? Is it as good as the 3/8?

Errtt,

Do you have a link for the slim ratchet?

^^^ Vikas - I looked on HF site (this morning) and they don't show the slim ratchets I'm talking about. I wonder why that is.
I guess I'll have to make a morning trip to HF.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like the GearHead ratcheting wrenches with the exception that it has a square drive to accept sockets. I think the shorter one was 1/4" on one end and 3/8" on the other, while the longer was 3/8 & 1/2 drives. Also, I believe the heads are swivel angle heads. They are unusual to say the least.
I'm thinking I might get the shorter (1/4 & 3/8) for motorcycle work. The way they cram things, I'm always looking for some odd-ball tools and sometimes getting into odd angles & tight places is where they pay off, sometimes saving pulling other stuff just to get to something to snug up can be a pain.

Few weeks back I needed to tighten an oil line clamp. Although I pulled a few things out of the way, it was still a bad angle & location. So I bought a hand lever squeezing drive tool to drive a 1/4" socket at 90 degrees to hex on the clamp. Didn't have the wiggle room for a ratchet handle movement, but the squeezing of the lever drive did the trick saving me draining the oil and removing more major components out of they way. Those are the times I appreciate the odd-ball when it comes to tools.

I replaced a starter in a Toyota (not mine) not long ago. I used the adjustable index ratchet HF sells. Was able to angle the ratchet handle to work one of the bolts making the job easier as things get in the way.

Now I know I'm not going to walk into HF just to get 1 tool - that never works with me. Sears or anyplace else, that just doesn't happen.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Demar,

Did you get the orange label 1/2 composite? Is it as good as the 3/8?

Errtt,

Do you have a link for the slim ratchet?

All three are orange label 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive. Quality appears to be the same, very good!

I'd like to see the slim ratchet myself. Hopefully someone can post a link.

^^^^^^ Slim Ratchets

I just picked up one of each:

Part # 67993 1/4" & 3/8" [7"-long]
Part # 67994 1/4" & 3/8"[14"-Flex Head]
Both are labeled as Pittsburgh Pro - triple chrome polish finish.
These are slim head design (smaller & thinner), quick release, limited space application. Unique to say the least. Both ANSI rated.

I also picket up the Part # 98484 T-Bar 3/8" Drive Flexible Ratchet. I believe this one is listed on HF site Weekly Sale. Since the 3/8 was on sale, I nabbed it. Will wait till the 1/2" one is on sale, then I'll nab it.

That's it as far as the ratchet department today (everything else I bought was misc stuff). They were out of the 3/8 & 1/2 Composite ratchets, they were doing restocking while I was there, but didn't feel like hanging around waiting.

Thanks! Seems like it is an in store item only. I thought I could take a look online. It looks like I'd be taking a trip to HF tomorrow.

Don't know what I'm doing, but home the slim ratchets show:
HFRatchets001.jpg

HFRatchets002.jpg

HFRatchets005.jpg

HFRatchets006.jpg

HFRatchets016.jpg

How do you like the swivel head rachet, third from the top? I was eyeing that yesterday. Thanks.

I would like to know how is the dual ended flex (2nd from the top). I did NOT see that in the store. I saw non-flex version and I was NOT impressed with the quality of that one.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
How do you like the swivel head rachet, third from the top? I was eyeing that yesterday. Thanks.

I haven't used it yet, but the reason I bought it was about a month ago I replaced a starter on one of my son's car, a Camry, and I had to monkey around with extensions to get to the back bolt. Either to long or to short, so then swivels, deep sockets, extensions came into the game until I was able to work it. I could have removed the battery & air cleaner box to open up working room but I managed. A combination wrench or ratcheting wrench wouldn't work either, for the one bolt.
So when I was in HF looking, I saw this ratchet and got to thinking if I would of had it at the time, the flex head set to somewhere between 45-90 degree angle, along with a deep well socket and maybe a 2-1/2" extension, I think would have been the ticket in this case - so I bought it. Maybe another day it will find a use where a regular design ratchet wouldn't get the job. Besides, it was different so I just had to have one.
Maybe I'll use it for some motorcycle work this weekend just to put it to use instead of a regular ratchet.

I would like to know how is the dual ended flex (2nd from the top). I did NOT see that in the store. I saw non-flex version and I was NOT impressed with the quality of that one.

I don't know how they set up from store to store, but I didn't the short & longer versions together. One was near the top of where the smaller ratchets were, and the other (longer) was near the end on the isle where the breaker bars and 3/4" drive sockets/ratchets were etc.
I have a use for the flex head for motorcycle work coming in a couple months. A oil line clamp at an odd angle and where I can't fit a regular ratchet into. I bought and use a squeeze levering socket drive, but I'm still unable to get a good straight shot at it and its hard to get a good tightness from the squeeze lever action type.
I'm sure the slim head and with the handle angle back a bit will give me just what I need.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

As stated, I'm going to use it for one of my motorcycles oil lines. I been using a squeeze lever driver but never get a good straight shot at it and unable to tighten it well. I could remove the tank, seat, battery, oil tank etc. which I do once a year, but I like to check the one oil line mentioned a few times a year, and the flex head slim ratchet I' sure is what I need. Maybe this weekend I'll go ahead and check that line to use the ratchet.
Although I have other ratchets where the ratchet head swivels giving the same effect, they are to thick still with a standard socket to fit in to get to the clamp drive.
I feel very confident this slim head flexed back just a little will be just what I need - making a bit of a frustrating task quick & easy. Saving from removing other stuff off the bike and draining the oil when I don't need the oil drained.

Since we been getting a bit of rain, I think I'll finish tossing tools into the new tool box (HF-US General) and do some wrenching today/tomorrow. Get a jump start on motorcycle big spring maintenance etc.

Dual ended flex slim ratchet - used it today (1/4"-end) and with a socket on it, flex angle just right, I was able to tighten an oil line clamp which was my purpose without removal of other items to get working room. Made the task easy. The slim design with a small socket was just able to squeeze at the right angle. Just this one task alone once-twice a year made it well worth it. Good buy for my purpose.

Composite ratchet (1/4") - I used it to change out one motorcycle battery, and do tightness check to main cables and other wiring on 2 other motorcycles. The ratcheting action seems smooth. Kind of nice not having to remove the negative battery cable to do the checks, then have to go back and hook the cable back up. Some motorcycles are a pain doing this, at least one of mine is.

1/2" x 25" breaker bar. Although a bit of an overkill, it made it easy busting loose the axle nut removing back tire on one of my Harley's. Just for loosening this time. I used a standard ratchet on the re-installation and finished the job with a torque wrench.

Swivel flex head ratchet - although I did use it today, for what I did was no more than what a standard ratchet could do - just so I could try it. Any ratchet with the extensions and plug socket would have pulled the spark plugs, but at least I got to try it.

US General roll box (cabinet) - this has to be one of the best buys, probably the best buy I have got from HF - period

Is the dual headed flex (67994)locking or non-locking?

It's not locking. It does have detent's to hold position along its flex travel. Looking at the pic (page-2) you can see a little bit of it. Both ends are the same.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Is the dual headed flex (67994)locking or non-locking?

It's not locking. It does have detent's to hold position along its flex travel. Looking at the pic (page-2) you can see a little bit of it. Both ends are the same.

Huh? My dual headed flex has no detents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back