I picked up a 3/8" composite rachet from HF today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a trip to the new HF store today, I seem to be going there a lot lately. I was after the Pittsburg Pro Screw Drivers mentioned in another thread. I printed a coupon for this Composite racket item 66313, the cost $9.99 with coupon $6.99 I haven't put it to use yet, but I have to say for $7 this thing looks pretty good. Have any of you guys tried one? I might have to buy another........

They still have them?

Awesome.

I love mine.

I have the 1/4 drive composite ratchet. It is AWESOME for working on live circuits. (ie: battery terminals, exposed terminals under the dash on VWs...etc...) I never worry about grounding it.

I have not been able to break it....yet. It's been really good and has a nice fine ratchet on it.

I want to buy another. Just because.

Yes they have them, I didn't see 1/4" though. Now I have an excuse to make another trip.

Just bought one last month, I have joint problems and sometimes have a hard time wrenching for long periods of time....the composite ratchet has a nice ergonomic shape that is easy to grip. The mechanism is tight. With HF's lifetime warranty and on sale for $7, that's tough to beat!

Yes, for the money it looks like a nice tool. I have to see if they offer it in a 1/4" and 1/2" version.

I just saw one on HF on-line weekly sale ad, & I think it is also on their Jan sale home mailer.
I think after doing an oil change today on one of the vehicles, I'll swing by HF to try the composite ratchets on sale for 6.99

I have one of the HF (on sale now - 9.99) 1/4" Drive Heavy Duty Quick Release Ratchet and it has actually impressed me. Been using it a lot lately working on the motorcycles during the rainy weeks.

The 8 Piece Professional Screwdriver Set for 7.99 got good reviews & the 24.99 5 Piece SAE Flex-Head ratcheting Combo Wrench Set for now is on my list, although I picked up a couple Gear Head seats recently.

I'm seeing a trend of tools (sockets/wrenches) getting a color finishing.

Well I just got back from HF and they were out of the 1/4" dr. composite ratchets. They still got $177 out of my wallet though.

Anybody has a coupon for 1/4 and 1/2 composite ratchet? I already have the 3/8 one and it is G R E A T !!!

The weekly online ad has the 3/8" as $2 off, but at the bottom of that ad it shows the 1/4" at $2 off and the 1/2" at $1 off.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Anybody has a coupon for 1/4 and 1/2 composite ratchet? I already have the 3/8 one and it is G R E A T !!!

When I went to HF yesterday, the coupons was not needed. They were the coupon price at the register.
They had the 3/8 & 1/2, but were out of the 1/4 which I wanted. So I bought a bunch of other stuff anyway.

I bought the 1/2 composite ratchet. I had to select between the extendable ($15) or the swivel ($20). Both were very tempting and have good reviews. When the swivel goes on sale, I am going to grab it. I selected the composite because it is lot lighter than either of them and it was only $8 after the 20% off coupon.

On garagejournal, somebody has posted the internals. The composite has dual pawls.

- Vikas

image_5863.jpg

image_5814.jpg

image_1765.jpg

Originally Posted By: Errtt

When I went to HF yesterday, the coupons was not needed. They were the coupon price at the register.
They had the 3/8 & 1/2, but were out of the 1/4 which I wanted. So I bought a bunch of other stuff anyway.

Just got back from HF (I know, I went yesterday).
They restocked so I was able to get the 1/4" composite ratchet.
They sure are getting a selection of fancy looking ratchets.
HF almost 4 miles away, doesn't help.
Got to try the mag-tip screwdriver set today, that I bought yesterday. They feel good in the hand.
Seems HF quality has stepped up quality from what I was used to some years ago - just not the same anymore.

Well I just got back from HF and they were out of the 1/4" dr. composite ratchets. They still got $177 out of my wallet though.

You need to tell us about $177 damage!

You guys are not good for my wallet. First it was building an oil stash... now a tool stash!

I hadn't bought a single HF tool - EVER - until this past week. But within the last couple of days, it's been (3) sets of screwdrivers (2x 36788 & 1x 94607 magnetics), (1) 3/8" short swivel CV ratchet and all (3) composite ratchets (NICE!). I got scooped on that 25.5" breaker bar, so I'm downhearted for the moment on that...

Additionally, there are a couple of 3" Craftsman extensions for my road set to get yet, but the infection is certainly spreading.

Such fun!

You need to tell us about $177 damage!

A lot of little misc. items...
Black Nitrile gloves
Air nozzles (few different types)
Welding rods & spool of mig wire
Weird adjustable angle handle 3/8 ratchet (index head)
Tie down set
High speed metal air saw
Bulk chip brushes
LED work light
Mini precision pliers set
A bunch more bits for magnetic drivers (like I didn't have a ton)
Magnetic parts trays (more is better)
Magnetic nut setter bit set
2 folding saw horse's
Machete & survival knife
Dual temp heat gun
And probably a few more misc. not coming to mind at the moment.

I came so close on buying the 800/900w portable generator. Would like to have something extra small, easy to tote round a few places, and fuel conservative. I hear the 1st thing is to change out the plug as the china plug is junk.
The lady says if I have any problem with it, I can bring it back to "Habba-Ferait". So I'll ponder on this one a bit.

If you are talking about one of those two stroke generators, they are wonderful, though a bit irritating to listen to. I use one on the job while my partner uses a $700 Honda. I can buy several to his one or a heck of a lot of oil and gas.

Yesterday I compared my 1/2 composite ratchet with the 3/8 one. I have concluded that I do NOT like the "green sticker" HF stuff. It seems to be manufactured by a different OEM. I noticed the same with the wobble extensions. 3/8 were lot better than 1/2. The shape of the 1/2 is little different. It also feels *lot* more heavier than its little brother. If I could find the older stock (with the orange sticker), I will exchange it.

Originally Posted By: TedT
If you are talking about one of those two stroke generators, they are wonderful, though a bit irritating to listen to. I use one on the job while my partner uses a $700 Honda. I can buy several to his one or a heck of a lot of oil and gas.

Yes the little 2 stroke. My next spring project is rebuilding the deck at the back corner of the property and there is no power there, and I don't want to string extensions from the house to that far. So a small gen to run a miter saw, small air compressor, recharge cordless drill/driver batteries, maybe a little lighting to late evening etc. I have other projects where a small gen will come in handy later.
My current old beat-up Honda gen has served me, and many others well over the years, but the main generator has gave up and the engine has gone through a few repairs in the last few years. Not worth the repairs now. It has a lot of hours on it, but dead now.

Years ago, I had a tiny Honda 350 watt generator. It was so small and did great running a few lights & radio up at the cabin, charging the boat batteries, take on other camp trips etc. Small, quiet, and sipped so little gas. It got stolen during a camp trip years ago. 350 watts won't run the small compressor or saw, so I'm looking just a little bit bigger for a few projects.

But if your saying the sound is too annoying, them maybe I'll reconsider. I'll probably start the deck in about 4 months, so I have time. I don't want to listen to a mower or chain saw sound for for hours just to have some power. So maybe reconsider or maybe give it a shot.
Thanks

Here is the HF composite ratchet opened up (taken from garagejournal) Notice the dual pawl and dual spring mechanism. That also explains why the lever works "backwards". If anybody still does not have it, I can look for $6.00 coupon. I can assure you that this will be one of the best six dollar purchase you could make!

IMG_0849.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back