I need a good metal polishing paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a paste that I can dab on a rag. I used to have a blue paste, a glass polishing compound, actually, which worked well, but I can't remember the name or where I bought it. That stuff worked on metal, too. Any suggestions?

meguiars has a good line of metal polishes (and plastic as well).

you should be able to find some at advance auto.

What kind of metal? We stock Megiuar and Turtle Wax polishes, but they're geared more towards polishing chrome (although they do an excellent job at that!). We also have Blue Magic, Never Dull, and Noxon 7 (sp?), which are more multi-purpose. I had a guy swear by the Never Dull wadding, said he used it to take the rust off an exercise machine that got left outside in the rain. You might want to check out the Noxon.

It's for brass, silver, and copper. Impregnated wadding (like Eagle One) doesn't work for me. I want a thick paste. Unfortunately you can't open all containers and see what's really in there. I've tried Blue Magic and it didn't work for me, especially because it stank and made me gag. I really want a polishing compound without any solvent smell.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex P.:
-snip- You might want to check out the Noxon.

I was a custodian for over 10 years and if you can find Noxon it's one of the best metal polishes IMO. Excellent oxidation remover. It used to come in a green metal can with white lettering...

Is Noxon a paste, and where do I get it? The name is not familiar. A liquid won't do, because I have to abrade the surface to remove fine scratches.

Google found this place that sells a 12oz. bottle of Noxon for $4.50:
http://www.polsteins.com/rebe0nomepo1.html

-

mothers billet metal polish, it is a paste in like a small 2 oz glass jar. $10 vs the $5 for the larger tubs of metal polishes, but you get what you pay for. Auto stores have started carrying it, I had to buy it mail order from mothers last year. It's fairly new, but most people who use it never have anything bad to say about it. Don't use it on chrome, it's a metal polish.

you can buy noxon at most food supermarkets. Has strong ammonia smell to it from what I remember, and wasn't all that great.

I'm a big fan of never-dull too. It does work good, it's a favorite among boaters and does a good job on stainless and aluminum corroded by salt water among many other things. I always figured eagle one wadding was the same, but maybe the never-dull has a higher quality oil in it.

I think it's my fault. I should have said I'm looking for a rubbing compound. It seems there's a difference between a rubbing and polishing compound.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find any of those locally. If not, anything can be found online.
wink.gif

Wenol or Pol. It's the metal polish of choice for electron microscopists to keep their sensitive equipment clean. Most of the commercially available Wenol has silicone mixed in it, which may be desirable for your use (the silicone is undesirable for us microscopists).

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
Wenol or Maas are the best by far that I have ever tried. they are exactly the type of polishes you are looking for.

Wenol (sp)...simply is a awesome product for shine and protection.

Maas worked just fine! I actually found a tube in my garage. I must have had it for years because I don't even remember buying it.

Actually, whiting (calcium carbonate powder - dirt-cheap) works well, too. Don't know what the neighbors thought when they saw me unload five 2 lbs bags busting with white powder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back