Duplicolor Paint/Clear Coat

Decided to go with duplicolor’s paint/clear coat to fix/hide a few paint scratches and rock marks on my Ranger. Always heard really good things about their stuff, especially given the price vs going to a shop. However, their paint is a deep gray vs my truck’s gray metallic. It’s such an obvious difference that I can’t help but want to send duplicolor the photos.

FWIW, I painted then clear coated after about 30 mins of dry time as they advise. I had to give it two coats of paint/primer before it blended better with the OEM paint. I guess for really small stuff this works, but not with Ford’s gray metallic.

Last edited:
paintscratch.com

I think their paints are decent quality for the price as you said, but there are a lot of variables in matching. Their clearcoat, plastic trim paint and truck bed liner are my go-to's for way too many projects, but I'd use one of the blenders for actual color touchup.

Google for auto body and paint supplies in your area, they can match the paint to the vehicle using color code and a camera and fill a spray can with the correct color blend, today it about $30 a can but it is well worth it if it matches.
The problem with a lot of colors is for the same year and color code there can be as many as 2-4 variations of the same code. Duplicolor uses the most common one. Early 2000's GM polar white for example had 4 variations for the same color code and they were significantly different.
I think this is what you may be running into.

I agree with Trav. That's what I'm doing with Toyota paint and Infiniti paint.

Yeah, it's expensive. But you get what you pay for - expertise, knowledge, and quality paint.

None is cheap or cheaply earned.

I like using Doctor Color Chip paint....It has the clear coat mixed in with the paint...So no need for a clear coat top coat..

their paint is a deep gray vs my truck’s gray metallic
Silly question, but… how long did you shake the can? If it doesn’t appear to be metallic, that probably means the flakes are still in the bottom of the can. You can verify this by spraying the rest of the can onto a piece of cardboard; if it’s a different color from what you applied on the truck, or if it sprays different colors at different times, you’ll know that it wasn’t fully agitated.

Silly question, but… how long did you shake the can? If it doesn’t appear to be metallic, that probably means the flakes are still in the bottom of the can. You can verify this by spraying the rest of the can onto a piece of cardboard; if it’s a different color from what you applied on the truck, or if it sprays different colors at different times, you’ll know that it wasn’t fully agitated.
It certainly has a little shimmer to it, but it’s a darker base color than my OM paint. I shook it for probably a minute as I walked around my garage.

Back