I Lost My Splash Shield

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
A parking lot mishap damaged, and I ultimately had to remove, the splash shield on my Camry.

Pan.JPG

While I'd like to replace it, I don't want to spend the time and money right now, too many other things to do over the next month or so. Will the absence of the shield affect gas mileage at all? I imagine that it might, but only to a small degree at highway speeds and probably not at all while driving around town (low speeds, short trips). Will the absence of the shield cause the engine and engine compartment to get appreciably dirtier? Any thoughts or experiences with this type of situation? Thanks!

Plus labor to have it installed and the time needed for the installation. That becomes more than I care to deal with at this time. Also, I don't know if any abutting pieces or mounting points have been damaged.

Since I don't have a place to do the work myself, I thought I'd have it done when I do my next oil change in April. The car will be on a lift then and can be fully examined. Another alternative is to drive about 100 miles to my in-laws' place and do the work there, but I still need to get the car on a lift to see the full extent of the damage.

Thanks for the link ... $20.00 seems like a good price.

Or moisture can splash up there going through a puddle, and cause the belt to slip or cause other problems such as electrical. I'd replace the shield soon, no rush, but soon.
Since you live in an area that doesn't have snow, you should be okay to ignore for a while. In snow regions, the lack of this shield can mean the snow accumulates in the engine area and can cause the serpentine drive belt to become dislodged = problem.
Thanks, guys. Now that the rains have started here, it appears that it would be worthwhile to act on this before my next oil change in April.

Road debris hitting components, dirt and water ingress and unnecessary wear of the drive belt(s), potentially worse airflow and decreased cooling efficiency may result from the absence of the splash shield. The shield may also prevent larger animals from seeking shelter next to the warm engine and radiator.

Why the removal? Was it flapping/rattling?
An obstruction grabbed it and ripped it off, leaving it attached by only one bolt. I had to remove it in order to drive the car. Upon examination of the shield, I could see that the bolt holes were destroyed, torn apart. At a minimum, a new shield is in order.

I just re-attached the similar shield on my daughter's 2015 Nissan Versa I think for the 3rd time in 2yrs. Nissan uses mostly plastic push fasteners, so typically just the fasteners break, which is kind of a handy feature.

May contribute to running hotter.

If anything the added airflow would make it run a tiny bit cooler. There's millions of cars running around with missing or damaged splash shields (especially in the snow belt) with no problems. I would replace it eventually as it does offer some limited benefits like improving air flow under the car and offering shielding to the engine bay from road debris.

If anything the added airflow would make it run a tiny bit cooler. There's millions of cars running around with missing or damaged splash shields (especially in the snow belt) with no problems. I would replace it eventually as it does offer some limited benefits like improving air flow under the car and offering shielding to the engine bay from road debris.
You’re an aerodynamicist and have wind tunnel tests?

I just re-attached the similar shield on my daughter's 2015 Nissan Versa I think for the 3rd time in 2yrs. Nissan uses mostly plastic push fasteners, so typically just the fasteners break, which is kind of a handy feature.
I think I have both fasteners and bolts ... will have to take another look.

There should be plenty of shields in junkyards and other places. I would replace it.
I'll look around for a good deal, replace it sooner rather than later. Still, it won't happen until after the new year.

Unfold your old one and rig it up with zip ties. You can use a 3/16" drill bit to go through other parts of other splash shields, bumper covers, fender liners, whatever-- plastic, not metal-- and drift stitch your car back together. I only say no metal so you don't introduce a new spot for rust to get under the paint.

These things are moderately important for reasons stated. I've had more than a few beaters where half the fasteners disappeared and things got "jiggly" under there. (And we've all seen cars on the highway with everything flapping to the driver's apparent ignorance.) Zip tying everything together made a noticeable improvement.

I used thick zip ties to secure the splash shield on my newly acquired Toyota Yaris. The previous owner damaged it hitting an animal (rural area). I drove it 240 miles last night on interstates. Its completely silent now and protecting the engine bay well.

Unfold your old one and rig it up with zip ties. You can use a 3/16" drill bit to go through other parts of other splash shields, bumper covers, fender liners, whatever-- plastic, not metal-- and drift stitch your car back together. I only say no metal so you don't introduce a new spot for rust to get under the paint.

These things are moderately important for reasons stated. I've had more than a few beaters where half the fasteners disappeared and things got "jiggly" under there. (And we've all seen cars on the highway with everything flapping to the driver's apparent ignorance.) Zip tying everything together made a noticeable improvement.
I like your idea, and were I younger and more agile and able to comfortably crawl around under the car, I might do that. However, I'm at a point where writing a check is a much more sane and comfortable endeavor.

Back