I Like FRAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Fram orange filter over the last 30 years I used in my Ford's with horizontally mounted oil filters have always caused dry starts due to the ADBV not functioning properly. At my Walmart the Motorcraft oil filters are actually less expensive and have never caused a dry start whether it had a nitrile or silicone ADBV. Just my
49.gif
and experience with the Fram orange oil filters. Haven't tried the more expensive Fram's. I think the Purolater Gold's are still less expensive, some where around $6. They have worked well in 8,500 OCI's so I'll most likely stay with them.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Originally Posted By: pbm
The new Fram 15K filter which sells for $8.97 at WM looks like a nice filter..

Yes, I agree. Some of the newer FRAM filters seem to be a good product.

The orange can is fine if you are doing regular oil changes, I think.

If you like cardboard endcaps, Fram basic orange can is the one you want.

Best value-priced filter is the Purolator Classic.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: pbm
The new Fram 15K filter which sells for $8.97 at WM looks like a nice filter..

Yes, I agree. Some of the newer FRAM filters seem to be a good product.

The orange can is fine if you are doing regular oil changes, I think.

If you like cardboard endcaps, Fram basic orange can is the one you want.

Best value-priced filter is the Purolator Classic.

You need to do your research on the cardboard end cap thing. It has nothing to do with the filter quality, efficiency, etc..

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
troll.

Maybe, maybe not. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. In Northern Alberta, it's quite conceivable that he has little else available. They're all over this country. WM sells nothing but Frams - I never heard of Supertech filters until I came here. CT sells a bunch of Frams, as do many parts stores up here. Purolator is almost non-existent, except for Motorcraft, which is only at the dealership, and Bosch, which is rare. Some places sell Wix.

If one wishes to avoid Fram, it's certainly possible up here. However, if they want something besides Fram, they're likely to be buying their filters from a parts store or a dealership. I'm no fan of Fram oil filters, but it's a nuisance to have to go to two places to do an oil change - buy oil at a place that isn't selling it at an astronomical price, and then find a place that isn't selling Fram for the filter.

Considering Fram's success as a business, there obviously are Fram fans out there, too. I use their air filters without question.

Quote:
I like all FRAM oil filters (yes, even the orange can) except for the High Mileage one. The reason I don't like this one is that I don't believe in putting additives in engine oil.

Interesting first post. Can you tell me/us specifically what you like about the orange can. Is it that you find it provides a great value? Does it have excellent cost for constuction? What is it that would make it better than say an equivalent Purolator Classic? Just trying to understand your thread starter proclamation.

I agree on the High Mileage filter though, but more because I don't want a filter company picking what additives go in my engine. Rather pick a quality oil, let them decide on the add pack, and run it a reasonable oci. Besides they cost ~$6.50 everyday price. And, for those that don't remember, it wasn't that long ago the Fram also made a filter called a Double Guard, which had PTFE Teflon embedded in the media. Teflon is something that is not meant for an engine, nor should it ever be used for such. Point being, not entirely the best track record on additives in a filter.

But, the Ultra seems to be a solid well made filter with a respectable cost for construction, especially if run for 12-15k oci's.

Well, if you don't like the thread, then just don't read it.

on the contrary, I'm looking forward to it! guys like you are very entertaining!

The Fram orange can filters have protected my engines for several millions of miles without a failure. I ran a normal OCI always. I moved on the WIX and PureOne filters as a better-bang-for-the-buck. My vehicles now use a cartridge now, so no concerns about, is there really meda and a valve inside a can? :))

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
...And thats when they were owned by Bendix Corp.
(not furnace thermostat maker Honeywell).

I thought that they were no longer owned by Honeywell?

Fram and Bendix were owned by Allied-Signal, which was purchased lock stock and barrel by Honeywell. Honeywell then sold off Fram, Prestone and Autolite last year:
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/honeywell-sells-consumer-auto-products-business/

Well, if you don't like the thread, then just don't read it.

What are you, 4 years old?

And i do not. Poor construction and little to no quality control. Not worth the $$$$$ they usually cost. The ultra and the diesel fram's on the other hand look good.

I have cut open (and posted many on my site) so many defective Frams that I can say there are many better. Cheap materials and construction don't cut it in my opinion.

Will it destroy an engine? Not by itself. The filter is really something that extends the life of the engine and acts as an insurance policy against major problems. It's like insuring with the least solvent insurance company that has the worst claim payment record. Is it worth it? Each person decides.

I find it funny how so many people on this board hate Fram. The bottom line is that Fram has a line of filters from very basic to very high end, suitable for different vehicles & uses. Take your pick among apples and oranges.

I personally have had no problems with any Frams. I have used many other brands as well over the years. In fact, no oil filter to date has given me any issues, and I am close to the Geezer Zone.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I find it funny how so many people on this board hate Fram. The bottom line is that Fram has a line of filters from very basic to very high end, suitable for different vehicles & uses. Take your pick among apples and oranges.

I'd use a Fram. I used e-core filters before. But I won't use a Fram when I can spend all of 3 cents more and get a superior product.

3 cents. I could probably find that walking through the parking lot to get the filter if I wanted to look hard enough.

There are a bunch of guys on this board who have had terrible Fram experiences. The truth is, any car with a Fram filter WILL wear out, rust out, get in an accident, get sold, get repossessed, get shot at by little kids with BB guns, get a parking ticket, or have its owner die of old age. Fram filters have also played their part in road rage, drunk driving, stereos turned to very high volume, women with tramp-stamp tattoos riding in such vehicles, low I.Q. teenagers in drive-in movies getting drunk,and old ladies getting hit in crosswalks & knocked right out of their shoes; all with vehicles with Fram filters.

Frams need to be outlawed, obviously.
18.gif

The OP should voice his opinion in some quasi-technical riceburner forums rather than BITOG if he wants this level of discussion.

You can do better than the OCOD, however your engine may not be worth something a little better.

Do not get discouraged. The people on this board do not reflect the ignorance of MPVUE. As for MPVUE you want to treat others like you do here why don't you head over to gasbuddy.com and pull your [censored] there because thats the correct forum. Everybody I have ever seen here treat all posts with dignity and with respectful and honest answers/posts. One liners are not welcome here. If you don't have any input on the topic then keep mouth shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back