I knew holding out would pay off...

For those who don't know, I purchased a 95% original 1980 Honda CB900C a couple years back for a song. 15k original miles, only ridden from farm to farm in northern MN during nice weather. When I say original, I mean original down to the stickers on the gauges and labels in their original places. The only modifications are roll/foot bars and the dealer sticker on the rear fender.

Shortly after purchasing, and after taking her out on a few rides, I realized that I was more a fan of the idea of being a "biker" and much less interested in the actual activity. That being said, I LOVE the way the bike rides. The balance, the stature, the abundance of power in a small package. Putting the dynamics aside, I loved the back story that the bike carries. A factory Frankenstein, not to mention my particular example being a one year only (solid) color which I much prefer to the '81-'82 two-tone offerings.

Being that riding season will soon be upon us yet again, I decided to take a look at the current classic bike market. WOW! I'll let the recent completed auctions from Bring a Trailer speak for themselves:

1982 CB900 Custom

Granted, my particular example isn't QUITE that nice, but other historical listings suggest my bike is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $4-$6k. I can't believe it... I knew the market was crazy but not THAT crazy. I do believe I'll be testing the waters again shortly, I don't want to miss this bubble!

classic Hondas!
Yours should capture a $1k premium for lacking the ridiculous 85mph speedometer.
My trailing link frontend '67 ct-90 remains in hiding. I will sell when they pry my cold dead arthritic knuckles off the hardened handgrips.

I've got a 1979 CB750 Limited Edition last spring and almost picked up a 80 CB750 Custom last summer but it sold before I could get to it.:rolleyes:

You can still find good used ones for cheap if you're willing to do some work to get them back up and running. My 79 hadn't ran in over 8 years when I got it. Carbs rebuilt, new choke cable, battery, plugs and wires got it going again. Going to look at the valve shims this spring.

UJMs are pretty hot right now, Honda prob being the most desirable. I don't think my '82 KZ550 will ever bring that kind of money tho.

Shortly after purchasing, and after taking her out on a few rides, I realized that I was more a fan of the idea of being a "biker" and much less interested in the actual activity.
This is probably a good thing, you will live longer, to many crazy drivers out there these days.

Those were good years for motorcycles. My first street bike was a 1978 Yamaha 750 Special, nice but the three cylinder engine was not very smooth. Traded that in for a 1980 Kawasaki Z900 and finally a 1981 Suzuki GS1000L. Sold that and have never been on one since.

Put it up for $10k, test the waters. Lot's of people spending ridiculous money now, plus inflation lol.

I've been trying to get an '81 GPz550 off my friend for years now. It's been sitting for the past 20 years. Sell it to me, already.

For those who don't know, I purchased a 95% original 1980 Honda CB900C a couple years back for a song. 15k original miles, only ridden from farm to farm in northern MN during nice weather. When I say original, I mean original down to the stickers on the gauges and labels in their original places. The only modifications are roll/foot bars and the dealer sticker on the rear fender.

Shortly after purchasing, and after taking her out on a few rides, I realized that I was more a fan of the idea of being a "biker" and much less interested in the actual activity. That being said, I LOVE the way the bike rides. The balance, the stature, the abundance of power in a small package. Putting the dynamics aside, I loved the back story that the bike carries. A factory Frankenstein, not to mention my particular example being a one year only (solid) color which I much prefer to the '81-'82 two-tone offerings.

Being that riding season will soon be upon us yet again, I decided to take a look at the current classic bike market. WOW! I'll let the recent completed auctions from Bring a Trailer speak for themselves:

1982 CB900 Custom

Granted, my particular example isn't QUITE that nice, but other historical listings suggest my bike is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $4-$6k. I can't believe it... I knew the market was crazy but not THAT crazy. I do believe I'll be testing the waters again shortly, I don't want to miss this bubble!
I bought a used CB900C in the early eighties that had about 4000 miles on it from a person who wanted to be rid of the bike in the middle of winter. I recall paying $1800.00 for it and selling the bike for $2300.00 about two weeks later. It was in pristine condition as it was only a couple of years old at the time…..it would be real nice to own today. I think Honda motorcycle fit and finish were at peak in the 80s.

Wow, beautiful bike! Nice score. If you aren't going to ride it much, I bet you could flip it quickly for a good chunk of change.

Back