I have a new observation about fram.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use fram filters also. I have never seen where a fram has messed an engine up. I also figured out that a filter is not a needed thing usloess you put in garbage in your oil. I found the better the flow the less wear you have on an engine.

I've been quick to make fun of Fram. I still think they are overpriced. However I will say that for my previous car, a VW that liked 20w50 year-round, i did use Frams because of the heaftier than average can in the somewhat large PH2870A filter. Purolators were kinda flimsy compaired to the orange can and worried me on cold morning starts with 20w50 in the crankcase.

I would not buy a Fram at retail price, but if i found them on sale i would use them without fear.

All things considered if Fram oil filters were priced better (same as supertech or lower) I'd consider using them, I just refuse to throw out $5 for a fram oil filter when I can get a WIX oil filter for the same price. I use Supertech and WIX oil filters because the value is there.

I use the FRAM Tough Guard filters and their pretty nice, man i should have kept it around to cut it open to see how it was made....Ill rmb that on my next oil change. I got them on sale for about $7CND when they were on Sale.

http://www.fram.com/products/oilFilters.php
It does a pretty decent job i think but im not an expert. also could i use it to Filter a synthetic oil?

obbop,
I have never seen a pic of any bad fram. do you have any? I've used them for years also. since doing a study of filters I have concluded that the filter is not what you need to worry about but the oil.

fram has been in biz for a long time and I know for a fact that even some high dollar filters causes problems as for start up. I can see where Fram's can sometimes cause a problem as well on startups. it's not because of the construction of the filter. just because they found a cheaper way to build a filter doesn't make them bad. look at cars, they found a cheaper way to build them, are they also bad? they don't use pure metals like on the 57 Chev's did. so what makes fram such a bad filter? what tests have you done on filters? oil? or anything for that matter?
bob

My concerns relate strictly to durability. (I'm satisified that they're competitive on flow and filtration) I do 10,000 mile/6 month OCI's and I'm afraid that the fiber endcaps won't hold the medium together over that duration without warping and or partial separations. It's probably an unfounded fear, but since there are alternatives out there with much better overall construction quality (Wix, Purolator, Champion)why take the chance?

Quote:

My concerns relate strictly to durability. (I'm satisified that they're competitive on flow and filtration) I do 10,000 mile/6 month OCI's and I'm afraid that the fiber endcaps won't hold the medium together over that duration without warping and or partial separations. It's probably an unfounded fear, but since there are alternatives out there with much better overall construction quality (Wix, Purolator, Champion)why take the chance?

You dont have to worry about that with the cartridge filters. The cartridge was what this thread was originally about.

I recently cut open a few filters of different brands for my 02 Saturn SL2 application an interesting point is while holding my filters in a vise while opening them up, the Fram canister seemed thinest and most easily dented/damaged. All the others came out pretty well the Fram was very dented and distorted and I was carefull with all as I wanted to be able to slide my open demo filters back together. Fram canister reminded me of a soda can.

There is a very good chance that Fram is buying those from another supplier. Are the carts marked Fram on the actual filter? Any other maker's marks on the filter?

Almost every filter company buys some portion of it's catalog from outside suppliers in order to offer a complete selection without tooling up the zillion variations on the market. This is even more common with fuel & air filters which sell in much lower volumes than oil filters.

I really did not see any poor construction in the Fram I opened, in fact the one ? I had is about filters made by Hastings. I noticed instead of free flowing holes in the center core there are a bunch of little slots. I wonder how that effects oil flow. The best core for oil flow obviously is the Champion made E-cores, boy are they open and unrestrictive.

badmikey, Re: Hastings slits. Seperate the tube from the
media and look down the outside wall. What a suprise I found.
The tube wall is very pourous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back