I have a new observation about fram.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, like most on here, detest the poor build quality of fram oil filters. I have found one oil filter, though, that seems to be pretty good.

For all you Mazda3, Mazda6, Ford Escape, etc. type users out there with the cartridge filter, the Fram filter for these seems to be made of high quality. When I compared it to the Wix, Purolator PureONE, and OEM, it seemed to be made very well. Really good media and sturdy end caps, but there was still a problem with the fram. The fram filter is like $9!!!!! Compare that to the wix for $5.40 and the OEM for $6. I wouldnt mind trying this fram filter, but not for that price tag.

I wonder who makes it for fram, or better yet, who screwed up.
laugh.gif

Yep, in order to get a quality Fram, you have to overpay.
I've seen those cartridge filters and agree that they are good. Also, I have no problems with their racing, truck, and extended filters. I don't care for the orange cans. And, I can't believe that they still market high mileage and PTFE filters.

I agree, The fram cartridge filter for my olds is $9 at Walmart. Compared to $4 for STP at autozone, or $5 for purolator premium plus at Advance. Advance has a bogo sale going on (have a local grand opening) on the purolators so I drop by every couple of week and stock up. Have 6 which should last me a year for both of my vehicles.

Sure, fine, use a Fram, I don't care.

But, imagine what folk will think of you as they crawl past your conveyance and glance up only to see the proverbial "orange can of death" in intimate consensual contact with your engine.

Quote:

Yes ...it's kinda an "in the closet" type thing with the cartridges..

Now there's a dilemma - do you come out of the closet and admit that you used a Fram (but it just happened once!) or wait for one of your so-called friends to out you in public and expose yer orange knickers.
blush.gif

I belive my 377k mile Acura has had cartridge-type Frams for most of it's life. No worries here. I'm the second owner and when I got the car (at 272k) the seller gave me a big box of Fram filters.....Fram air filters too!

Yeah! I used FRAM oil filters for about 25 years before they started to climb high in price and then I discovered BITOG at the same time. I used to get FRAM oil filters for under $2.00(on sale/rebates/whatever). Never really had an issue with them except for a little start-up rattle from the ADBV that wasn't holding in the oil. But before BITOG, I didn't understand the ADBV. I thought it was just my engines getting old and making some noise apon start up. I can't use SuperTech either on certain vehicles because every one that I use causes rattle at start up although I think that they are a pretty good filter overall. I've cut open the ST filters and they look well constructed.

badtlc,

I would consider any filter, including FRAM, when evaluating what is most effective and least costly. I look at total cost plus any hassle factor.

If I got a better filter for $3.50 more I would probable do it especially with costly oil and/or severe duty.

While a lot of folks here carp about the 'orange can', the Fram cartridges I've looked at are pretty well made.
I've used their cartridges for my Honda for years and even though many cycles get the 'el-cheap-O' end of the filter line, the Frams were pretty good construction wise.
My 2¢

Quote:

While a lot of folks here carp about the 'orange can', the Fram cartridges I've looked at are pretty well made.
I've used their cartridges for my Honda for years and even though many cycles get the 'el-cheap-O' end of the filter line, the Frams were pretty good construction wise.
My 2¢

Yup, i'd never use their canned filters, but if their prices dropped on their cartidge filters, I'd use them in a heartbeat.

I wonder if the cartridges are better made because they perceive that they are exposed, able to be examined easily, whereas the spin-on elements are hidden, allowing them to use shoddy construction without the customer seeing it.

Yeah, here's your new observation: I've been using Fram filters -not exclusively, but a lot- for 30-35 years, and nary a car problem that could possibly be attributed to an oil filter....unless it's somehow related to wiper blades that don't seem to last but about a year these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back