I got in trouble at Costco today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Merk seems like a really sweet kindhearted person. I bet he'd be an awesome guy to have as a friend.

Most of us are.

Congrats to the comments about why *ehrmmm* is beating up on Merk.

Hopefully, we can all let it go.

A good guide and vibe has been provided by yeti:

Originally Posted By: yeti
merk does start some ... odd threads. so what. this is the internet. he gives our group some laughs, and that's what counts -- to us.
there are several here that start odd threads, as well.again, so what.if people don't like what another posts, put that person on ignore. simple.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Wow that must be a small Costco. Our Costco has about 30 - 36 pumps (not sure the exact number) but we have a lot. I usually go right when they open at 5:30 am, but even when I've gone later in the morning I've never waited for more than 10 minutes.

Around here, the costco has 6 or 8 pumps too.

Merk wrote in part, "I look around at the general public when I'm out in town and the conclusion I've come to is that normal people for the most part are quite dumb."

Seconded.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Why are you waiting in a line for 30 minutes to get gas. I find that to be more whacked than the tunnel phobia.

THIS!!! What the EF man? 30 minutes in line to get gas? You guys expecting a hurricane or the big one out there? [censored]?

At a couple independent gas stations here that sell gas a wee bit cheaper than the competition, a 30 minute wait isn't uncommon. I'd never do it, particularly for subpar gasoline, but to each his own.

Gas is about $2/gal right now. Let's say you've got a big car with a 20 gallon tank, that's $40 worth of gas. Maybe Costco or some other low cost station is good for 15% less - maybe you'll save $6. My time is much, much more valuable than that.

I won't even drive into a station that doesn't have an open pump ready for me.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
I won't even drive into a station that doesn't have an open pump ready for me.
jeff

This. It's a good reason not to wait until your low fuel light is on before you start looking for a place to buy gas. I recall that, in the recent past, a station in Dallas lowered the price to such a ridiculous level that people waited in line for hours to fill up. Really!?

I dropped someone off at the airport today, and as I was leaving the airport I thought I would take the route past Costco so I could fill up. After waiting in line 5 minutes, I pulled up to the pump and got out, reached for my wallet and realized I had left it at home.

Defeated, I got back in my Jeep and immediately thought of this ridiculous thread.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Why do you have issues with tunnels?

Tunnels can be a little creepy. I can see that. There are people that will drive your car through the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel for you if you can't do it yourself.

I didn't realize how creepy they can be until I was half way thru one on a motorcycle. I never went thru the Chesapeake one but I was stationed at Fr Eustis and we went to Virginia Beach a lot and had to go thru the one from Hamptom to Norfolk. The other thing I hated out there was going over the bridges that have steel grates you could see thru.

As a graduate engineer, I got to go down the Sydney harbour tunnel when it was about 2 segments long from the Northern end. The consortium that built the tunnel had offered to rejoin Sydney's Hyde Park, and I was checking some cable lengths to see if it could be done, and I got a tunnel trip)

Got to see the tunneling machines from the north end that were drilling through the sandstone, and it was all very good. As I said, the tunnel was a couple segments long, and was an engineering marvel.

Some long time later, going through that tunnel, a big dollop of water landed on the windscreen, and within a few hundred metres had dried into a salt crust.

It gave me shivers.

The narrow, 2 lane Detroit-Windsor tunnel that goes underneath the river is always damp, with water dripping from the ceiling from several places. Coooool.........
Completed in 1930, its age is showing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit%E2%80%93Windsor_Tunnel
DetroitWindsorTunnelP9798Front_0.jpg

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
The other thing I hated out there was going over the bridges that have steel grates you could see thru.

I guess it depends if you're afraid of heights. I did a road race once where it was along the coast and it had several bridges where they had steel grates and you could look straight down and see the waves moving about beneath you. There was a girl in front of me that just shouted Oh my god, I can't do this and I was wondering what she was talking about until I got to the bridge. She then ran over to the side where there was a pedestrian walkway that was covered. We later got to another bridge like that, but it didn't have a pedestrian section that was covered so I wondered what she did.

Not going through tunnels or structures, having to avoid overpasses and underpasses must be an insane inconvenience. Literally I could not go anywhere. I would have to drive at least 30 miles out of my way on my way to work (out of a commute of 3 miles) to do that, if not more.

Also, I couldn't travel anywhere. I go through tunnels everytime I go to NYC, Boston, Maryland, North Carolina.... o_O

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
The other thing I hated out there was going over the bridges that have steel grates you could see thru.

I guess it depends if you're afraid of heights. I did a road race once where it was along the coast and it had several bridges where they had steel grates and you could look straight down and see the waves moving about beneath you. There was a girl in front of me that just shouted Oh my god, I can't do this and I was wondering what she was talking about until I got to the bridge. She then ran over to the side where there was a pedestrian walkway that was covered. We later got to another bridge like that, but it didn't have a pedestrian section that was covered so I wondered what she did.

I have no problem with those bridges, except I avoid them on my motorcycle. Steel gratings and motorcycle tires make for a very scary combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back