I finally made the change to synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my 2001 Nissan Maxima (88,000 miles)last weekend from dino oil to Mobil 1 EP, I'm hoping to get about 10,000 miles between changes, I think my driving habits should be pretty conducive to extended OCI's. My daily commute consists of 12 miles of highway driving (Cruise control at 80 MPH) and 3 miles of suburb driving. Any thoughts?

To the OP, what engine do you have in your Maxima? The VQ v6's are known to be hard on oil. Just something to consider. And yes, the M1 EP line is "rated" for 15,000 miles, but that of course can be altered by many, many variables.

Last edited:
I think 10,000 miles will be OK with the right filter. What filter are you using now?

That said, 15,000 is for me pushing the limit too much for the oil itself.

Last edited:
If daily drive of 15 miles(12 hwy + 3 city) is one way then M1 EP is good for more than 10k miles OCI if your engine is in good condition. But I would change out the first use of M1 EP a little sooner to rid of contaminates/sludge/debris in the engine, around 5-6k miles.

Also, what is the sump capacity of your engine? That can play a role, too. FWIW, I think Nissan is still one of the few "big" manufacturers not to recommend an OCI longer than 7,500 miles.

I would NEVER go that long on an oil change. Don`t go any further than what your manual recommends. Mobil even says in fine print on their EP oil concerning their 15k oci to *refer to your owner`s manual`s oci recommendation*

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I would NEVER go that long on an oil change. Don`t go any further than what your manual recommends. Mobil even says in fine print on their EP oil concerning their 15k oci to *refer to your owner`s manual`s oci recommendation*

I`v gotta give you a big A++ on that comment!

I like 7500 for my synthetic oil. (PU and/or PP).

If you don't have the right filter and its a short list then change it 1/2 way through. The short list in my mind is a M1 or Bosch D+ or Amsoil Ea. The Amsoil is the best of the best.

Run it 6000-7500 and run an analysis, then go from there. As tig1 will tell you, he runs regular old M1 10,000 miles with no issues - but it can depend on application and driving habits.

Do a 5K OCI first, then do a 7.5K OCI and then do a UOA. The first one will clear the engine out and the second one should give you a better overall impression of what you can do safely. I wouldn't waste money on a UOA on the first synthetic change.

How long were your dino OCI's? Jumping directly to an extended interval from dino with M1 products is not recommended IMHO. Has a lot of cleaning power. The first couple need to be 5k. On the 3 cars and an SUV I switched over (all close to or over 100k) the first 2 OCI's were jet black after 1500 miles. Black doesn't mean the oil is bad, it means there's a lot of junk in suspension which thickens the oil and can plug your filter.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You guys tear me up with the 10K OCI fear.

I`ll go to my grave with it....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
How long were your dino OCI's? Jumping directly to an extended interval from dino with M1 products is not recommended IMHO. Has a lot of cleaning power. The first couple need to be 5k. On the 3 cars and an SUV I switched over (all close to or over 100k) the first 2 OCI's were jet black after 1500 miles. Black doesn't mean the oil is bad, it means there's a lot of junk in suspension which thickens the oil and can plug your filter.

My dino OCI's were always around 3,000 miles (valvoline)

Originally Posted By: tig1
You guys tear me up with the 10K OCI fear.

Who me? My last conventional oil change was after 30,000 miles.

Of course that wasnt in a passenger car either.

PS I would likely hold the oil change to 10K or less on that VQ30 as well because its reputed to be very hard on oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back