I cut a white Purolator up. Bit over 5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Well, the FRAM payroll guys are good for a few laughs too.
smile.gif
smile.gif

ate you serious about fram paying people to post on here?

LoL ... that's just another misconception in the minds of the tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Nice to see a WCOD without a tear. 20 or 30 more, and we'll have a trend!

More like 100+ reports with no tears and people might feel more comfortable that something has been done.

We also need to see models with metal seams that are tear-free. The glued seam tend to be more resistant, although not completely tear-free.

We have had a few GM/Ford applications and they are less likely to have a tear (but MC have had tears). Models for Imports, Honda Subaru, Toyota, etc are much more likely to see a tear.

Seems some of y'alls primary purpose here might be to keep Purolator reputation down. Is Purolator the biggest competitor to fram or something cuz it seems to be a battle between fram and Purolator fans on here. Fram fans bashing Purolator and Purolator guys defending their filter?
How bout the other filter brands like wix or motorcraft and all? Isn't wix and Napa one of the highest regarded filters? It is around here with motor head types anyway?

Seems some of y'alls primary purpose here might be to keep Purolator reputation down. Is Purolator the biggest competitor to fram or something cuz it seems to be a battle between fram and Purolator fans on here. Fram fans bashing Purolator and Purolator guys defending their filter?
How bout the other filter brands like wix or motorcraft and all? Isn't wix and Napa one of the highest regarded filters? It is around here with motor head types anyway?

For a brand new member, you sure have taken a strong interest in this...not that I don't disagree with you...

Originally Posted By: dishdude

For a brand new member, you sure have taken a strong interest in this...not that I don't disagree with you...
ya its a pretty easy observation to make. Just look at this very thread I posted of a filter I cut apart or just about half the rest of the posts that seem to have turned in the same arguments even if its not the topic. Ya I'm new but not dumb
smile.gif

Maybe he's not "new" ... if ya know what I mean.
wink.gif

I'd say Purolator keeps themselves down.

People recognize problems when they occur. I mean based on their quality in the last 1-1/2 years, who would really want to use them except for someone who has some kind of vested interest in Purolator, or is just a blind fanboy trying to defend his favorite filter, or someone who doesn't know what's been going on with their quality issues.

If there comes a day when people are convinced the problems have been fixed, then maybe the brand will again have a strong following. That's how capitalism works in the marketplace. Make a quality product and you sell it more and more ... make a low quality failing product and people go buy something else and spread the word to watch out, and your sales suffer. Easy economics 101 stuff.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Maybe he's not "new" ... if ya know what I mean.
wink.gif

I'd say Purolator keeps themselves down.

People recognize problems when they occur. I mean based on their quality in the last 1-1/2 years, who would really want to use them except for someone who has some kind of vested interest in Purolator, or is just a blind fanboy trying to defend his favorite filter, or someone who doesn't know what's been going on with their quality issues.

If there comes a day when people are convinced the problems have been fixed, then maybe the brand will again have a strong following. That's how capitalism works in the marketplace. Make a quality product and you sell it more and more ... make a low quality failing product and people go buy something else and spread the word to watch out, and your sales suffer. Easy economics 101 stuff.
ya I see your point but that wasn't my point. Just seems like alot of arguing about it all and mostly between fram and Purolator guys that's all.
Lol ya well I was actually called a troll on the very first post I made on the oil forum. Don't even remember what I said. So I'll take things with a grain of salt around here until my own experience varifies to me what's true or not.
Anyway alot of dudes on here have been pleasant and respectful so I'll Gravitate more that way. Good day my man

^^^ If you were here for the last five years and keeping up with everything transpiring, then you would understand why some brands get more flak than others. Since you are new (supposedly), then with time you'll start to see it better than what you seem to in the beginning.

smile.gif
smile.gif

There is a strong possibility that a few here are not directly on the Fram payroll per se, but get free filters for their off the books, skunk works marketing by bashing other filter manufacturers.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, you will know be accused of being a reincarnated banned member and a large target will be drawn on you, and "they" will do everything they can to silence you.

It doesn't matter how many filters you post that are tear free (every filter I have ever posted) they will always be junk to the perceived majority here.

If you are a Purolator fan (such as I am) all I can tell you is good luck!! There are a lot of good people on this site with a lot of great info, but Make sure you keep a Pureone, some silver bullets, a wooden stake and some holy water to ward off the Frampires!!!

There is no reason to be paranoid. New members are allowed to have opinions too

I personally don't think that there are any paid shills or agents provocateurs pushing particular oil filter brands. When I first signed up here, in 2011, it was de rigueur to bash Fram filters. Cardboard end caps were supposedly dissolving causing all sorts of mayhem, better filters were available for less money, blah, blah, blah. The Purolator Classic was the darling of BITOG. It had to be better - it has metal end caps!

The E-Core came along from Champion Labs, and became almost as unpopular as the Fram Extra Guard. There have been some really spectacular E-Core failures posted here.

I have cut open probably about 20-30 filters in my filter-cutting "career". 2 had failed - both from the same 2003 Hyundai Elantra. One was a Napa Pro Select, and one was a Pure One. The Pro Select failed pretty badly, with a split at the base of a pleat, and the Pure One failed in the usual spot at the base of the pleats next to the seam, by the glue joint. I see no reason to buy either brand in the future with so many choices available. The failed Pure One filter from the Hyundai is the first Pure One I have ever opened, and may be the first Pure One I've ever used - at least I don't remember using one before.

Of the Frams I've opened, some have been very nice looking, others have been pretty ugly - wavy pleats and wavy end caps. However, I have seen no sign of media failure, so if I want a lower cost filter, I don't mind using Fram.

So, the tide has turned, and now many members are willing to admit that maybe those orange Frams aren't designed to blow up engines. At the same time, there's a consistent failure pattern in Purolators, which some refuse to acknowledge. It makes for some entertaining threads.

I personally don't think that there are any paid shills or agents provocateurs pushing particular oil filter brands.

I doubt there are either. Some people here think that just because some members point out the obvious problems of certain oil filters, and/or they've jump brand because of quality issues of a certain filter brand, that they have magically become a paid shill of the new brand they are using. The hardcore fanboys use it as a tactic to try and explain and justify why this phenomenon is happening.

When I first signed up here, in 2011, it was de rigueur to bash Fram filters. Cardboard end caps were supposedly dissolving causing all sorts of mayhem, better filters were available for less money, blah, blah, blah. The Purolator Classic was the darling of BITOG. It had to be better - it has metal end caps!

So, the tide has turned, and now many members are willing to admit that maybe those orange Frams aren't designed to blow up engines. At the same time, there's a consistent failure pattern in Purolators, which some refuse to acknowledge. It makes for some entertaining threads.

Some people haven't been around here long enough to see how filter popularity comes and goes, and for what reasons - manufactures are always messing with designs and trying to cut costs and corners. Filters change with time for some reason, and sometimes they fail and other times they triumph. It's a never ending cycle.

There is a strong possibility that a few here are not directly on the Fram payroll per se, but get free filters for their off the books, skunk works marketing by bashing other filter manufacturers.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, you will know be accused of being a reincarnated banned member and a large target will be drawn on you, and "they" will do everything they can to silence you.

It doesn't matter how many filters you post that are tear free (every filter I have ever posted) they will always be junk to the perceived majority here.

If you are a Purolator fan (such as I am) all I can tell you is good luck!! There are a lot of good people on this site with a lot of great info, but Make sure you keep a Pureone, some silver bullets, a wooden stake and some holy water to ward off the Frampires!!!

Well those are just down right shameful things. If people are doing these kinds things, I'd call it morally deficient on their behalves if they indeed are.
I'll heed your warning! Thanks... Shame shame shame on them!

Last edited:

Mrsandman, you must be asleep. OK, why be a Purolator fan? How are their oil filters better than others out? Are you just going by the fact that Purolator (Pure-Oil-Later) basically invented the oil filter in 1937? Because 1937 was a long time ago and practices/style/managers/CEO's change over time.

Here is the challenge to you or anyone: Find an oil filter that has something better than a double-layer synthetic media, wire-backed, silicon adbv, and beats 99%@20microns & 80%@5microns. Show me that better filter please. Until then, I'm a Fram Ultra fan, and I'll keep getting my free Ultra every time I bash Puro....

Well those are just down right shameful things. If people are doing these kinds things, I'd call it morally deficient on their behalves if they indeed are.
I'll heed your warning! Thanks... Shame shame shame on them!

If you were around as this all unfolded I'm sure you'd understand were people are coming from when they say "bad things" about tearing Purolators. In the mean time, the Tearolator spin doctor is hypnotizing you. LoL
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Mrsandman, you must be asleep. OK, why be a Purolator fan? How are their oil filters better than others out? Are you just going by the fact that Purolator (Pure-Oil-Later) basically invented the oil filter in 1937? Because 1937 was a long time ago and practices/style/managers/CEO's change over time.

Here is the challenge to you or anyone: Find an oil filter that has something better than a double-layer synthetic media, wire-backed, silicon adbv, and beats 99%@20microns & 80%@5microns. Show me that better filter please. Until then, I'm a Fram Ultra fan, and I'll keep getting my free Ultra every time I bash Puro....

That quote was from JK ... go up and you'll see.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That quote was from JK ... go up and you'll see.

Ooops, sorry Mrsandman, yet the "asleep" joke works better with your name than jk.
I guess its not my fault since Mrsandman accidentally missed the "qoute]" control tag above.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
smile.gif
smile.gif

This talk from all over the place has gone on since at least as far back as five years ago. As for oil filters in general, I'll be happy when Purolator addresses the tearing issue and becomes more available up here, and when a Fram orange can doesn't have insides that look like someone sat on them and they don't cost an arm and a leg for an entry level filter, Wix publishes better data, AC gets rid of eCore, and Hastings and Baldwin don't require an excursion into the industrial area to purchase. They all have flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back