I can feel the difference with castrol Edge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned a 98 4Runner 4cyl, 5sp. since new, now at 177K miles. It's basically lived on Mobil 1 5W-30. Last week I changed to Edge 5W-30. I swear the motor is running smoother, especially noticeable when I lug the engine in 5th gear.

Am I crazy, or is it possible for a motor oil to make a noticeable difference like this?

When I switched to SSO 0W-30 I for sure absolutely did feel the difference. I switched from Valvoline Premium with LubeGard BioSyn.

Yes, it's possible!

Originally Posted By: Foch
I've owned a 98 4Runner 4cyl, 5sp. since new, now at 177K miles. It's basically lived on Mobil 1 5W-30. Last week I changed to Edge 5W-30. I swear the motor is running smoother, especially noticeable when I lug the engine in 5th gear.

Am I crazy, or is it possible for a motor oil to make a noticeable difference like this?

To do an experiment like this it would be better to do it blindly as it would be more scientific. Drive the car without knowing what is in it, come to a conclusion, then let someone disclose the oil to you....

I dont think it`s a sugar pill at all. I can tell the difference between some oils in the performance of the vehicle. Maybe you guy`s just arent in tune with you vehicle.
56.gif

Last edited:
Butt Dynos. Never accurate but as long as it makes you feel better, that's all that counts!

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I love all these claims that you CAN FEEL THE DIFFERENCE....Sugar pill...

everyone's body is different. Some can feel it, some can't, simple as that. I can definitely feel the difference between valvoline synpower and any other synthetics i've tried. Nothing i've tried is consistently smooth as synpower.

Last edited:
My car is very smooth with Edge when I compare it to the Syntec Blend I replaced from my second to last OCI. It could just be my imagination, though. But these last two fills of Edge are very smooth in my car.

Any of the cars that I switched over to GC gave me a noticeable difference but when I switched to other oils I never felt that difference. The only oil other than GC which gave me a different feel was when I switched my wife's Honda to GTX 5w20 (other 5w20s didn't feel the same either, so it wasn't viscosity related)

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I believe it. Mobil 1 5W-30 is 11.3cSt and Edge 5W-30 is 9.8, that's a pretty good difference.

Agreed...

Hey, someone on here had a listing of the major brands cSt's. Tried searching to no avail.. can anyone repost!?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I dont think it`s a sugar pill at all. I can tell the difference between some oils in the performance of the vehicle. Maybe you guy`s just arent in tune with you vehicle.
56.gif

Yep, some people are tone deaf, some aren't. I also think some people are car deaf.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Mobil 1 5W-30 is 11.3cSt and Edge 5W-30 is 9.8, that's a pretty good difference.

I'm not sure exactly what the above means. But based on my experience so far I might have to change my Saab 9-5 over to this oil.

Thanks for all the responses...

I've sometimes wondered if the perceived differences of equal weight oils is simply b/c there is fresh oil in there. Then slowly over time as the vehicle is used the oil begins to wear out (shearing, additives being damaged by heat and abuse, various other substances make their way into the oil as the engine naturally wears from use, etc). I wonder if during the use of the vehicle it slowly returns to a state similar to where it was at the end of the previous OCI. Then you change the oil, taking all that worn stuff out and putting in fresh oil, and suddenly you believe you feel a difference.

I think this is part of it b/c my car feels ever so slightly smoother and quieter after an oil change, even if I'm putting in the same brand and weight oil that I'm draining out. I think it's just b/c fresh oil is in there, and b/c I start it up and am looking to find a difference

I heard too that Castrol products were good and comparable to Mobil 1 which I use in my 01'Durango V-8 and my newly bought 08' Impala SS.

If you feel a difference then you might be on to something! I'd continue to use Castrol "EDGE" for the balance of the year and report next Januuary if indeed you feel a big difference in how smooth your engine is.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back