Hyundai to defer payments from government staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai to defer payments due from US government staff

Great marketing and PR on their part. Great work to the bright people over at Hyundai.

Here is a couple comments from over on Reddit.

Quote:
"Good for them. I agree. But recognize that this is a low-risk move from a financial perspective. And it's a move that potentially has enormous PR benefits. They're buying our admiration for cheap.
The federal employees being extended this deferment will probably out of work for days. In the worse case it will be weeks. In most cases this deferment will extend payment deadlines by less than a normal payment cycle.
Hyundai is giving these folks a few extra days. It's not a lot, but it helps. And it makes for great PR."

Quote:
"And not only advertising, this allows them to keep the customers and avoid people having to return the car because of unpaid payments, or even in extreme cases going bankrupt over the issue. This also saves a lot of hassle for Hyundai and that alone saves money for them.
All in all an excellent move from Hyundai."

Quote:
"Hyundai has been a rising star for a while, this gives them that "personal" edge that will catapult them ahead of the their competitors."

Quote:
"Remember the day when American car maker executives flew in private planes to beg for tax payer money? You should be proud to own a Hyundai mate and Hyundai will be our first family car as well, now that I have read this."

Quote:
"How ****** up is our country when the U.S. government bails out domestic car companies, while foreign car companies bail out U.S. citizens."

Quote:
"Dang, this is some excellent PR. Not that I'm saying they're only doing it for the bottom line. People, even corporate executives, tend to be generally compassionate and moral. But just looking at it from an advertising angle, this is great stuff. Kudos to their PR team."

Quote:
"****. I'm not even a government employee and i'm half tempted to trade my Focus in for an Elantra or something now.
I think it's working."

Quote:
"who cares what their motivation is. they could just as easily maximize profits by skimping on quality or screwing over their workers. If this is their way of attracting customers (by being decent human beings) then they seem like a pretty intelligent company.. ford, GM, and especially Chrysler could learn from them."

Quote:
"Wow I don't own a Hyundai but I'll remember this the next time I'm looking for a vehicle."

Quote:
"The new Elantra is a sweet piece of engineering and design.
Interested how the design of Hyundais are being mimicked by big automakers (e.g. Toyota Avalon) when we used to joke it was the other way around.
Good on Hyundai for striving to make not just good looking cars, but good cars engineering wise."

That is very generous IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if other banks and financial institutions do the same.

How much extra interest are they going to get by letting however-many $300 payments go on hold and continue to accrue interest?

USAA offers interest free loans to members affected by this. Uniformed military are getting paid, so I'm not sure if that offer is extended to other government employees.

A nice piece of PR that will actually cost them nothing.
Good for Hyundai's American marketing people for thinking of this.

Smart PR if nothing else. Hyundai has shown they have one great marketing shop in the past, and this is more proof of it.

You'll remember the "Hyundai Advantage" started in 2008 ish where if you lost your job your car payments were covered.

Millions of poor folks out of work for many years now and yet we furlough a few thousand "non-essential" workers for a day or two and everyone freaks out.

Number one is if they are non-essential then why are they working on our dime?

The baloney is getting a bit rotten....

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A nice piece of PR that will actually cost them nothing.
Good for Hyundai's American marketing people for thinking of this.

Yup, wayyyy cheaper than a national TV ad campaign or one event sponsorship, and far more effective.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Number one is if they are non-essential then why are they working on our dime?

The term "non-essential" is mis-understood here. The mission, at this point, with the government closed, is maintaining physical plant security and military readiness, and nothing else. Many people are not essential to that mission. People like administrative, budget, operations and maintenance, process improvement, most IT support, etc. They're "non-essential" in an emergency situation, but the government cannot operate long-term without them.

The same terminology is used in adverse weather conditions. If your location is closed due to weather, all non-essential people stay home. A select skeleton crew is still expected to report to sustain a very minimal level of operations.

Wow, these guys mean business! They've certainly come a long way, but they also take things very seriously.

Friend of mine works for the local Kia dealer, and went to Korea on training a couple of months ago. After landing in Seoul, the group was taken for a swim to freshen up and started their training immediately after. They only went to their hotel after that day's training was complete.

The same dealer also had a few complains about their service center, and had to pay a hefty fine before being told their distributor rights would be revoked if similar complains were made again.

If only Hyundai would put some of their PR money behind their warranties. My dealer did not want to fix anything under warranty because they were paid so little.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
If only Hyundai would put some of their PR money behind their warranties. My dealer did not want to fix anything under warranty because they were paid so little.

And this happens in many stealerships, not exclusive to Hyundai/Kia.

It is a bad policy to put your reps in a position where they must defraud the client to earn money...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back