Hyundai sez no aftermarket filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks this is getting crazy about this post. If you want to go by what the manufacterer says to do fine. Do it. But don't come on the board second guessing your choice.

I "chose" to run Quaker State in my wifes Hyundai because its recommended yes, plus its cheap to buy and easy to find. I used Fram Oil filters or Pure1 because I had the oil changed at wallyworld for over 3 yrs. Never had a problem with the filters or oil on this car. BUT after wallyworld didn't tighten the drain plug a couple of times, I CHOSE not to go there any longer for my service. I CHOSE to take it to the dealer. The Dealer also screwed up the car by not putting in the oil that I requested, that is ALSO recommended by Hyundai. When I asked why, they said "any 5/20 will do" so that must mean that any filter will do too?? Who knows. They also charged me for things they didn't replace. So I CHOSE not to go to the dealer and do the oil myself. I USE filters that are good quality. Fram Tough Guard, or a Pure1 whatever is on sale. I CHOOSE to use the QS Yes.

The facts that I KNOW are there is NO ENGINE KNONCK while using an aftermarket filter. In the 4 yrs we have had this Sonata only noise was Lifter Tick that the DEALER caused. My real guess is they never even put in 5/20 but maybe a 30w and THAT caused the lifter tick. I don't know. I wasn't there when the oil was put in, I just know what they told me.

So I base my OPINION on FACT of my Experience. My Personal Experience with a Hyundai Sonata that we have owned since 2007.

So take that for what its worth, anything else? I really don't care.

Jeff

Some Hyundai engines are definitely prone to lifter tick with certain oils. My Sonata 2.4L had it when I brought it home. Went away when I changed the oil. The sound is annoying but I don't think it means any harm is being done (not sure).

Originally Posted By: glum
Some Hyundai engines are definitely prone to lifter tick with certain oils. My Sonata 2.4L had it when I brought it home. Went away when I changed the oil. The sound is annoying but I don't think it means any harm is being done (not sure).

My wife's Sonata also has the 2.4L Engine. I just find it so silly that people are thinking (even hyundai) that an oil filter will restrict oil pressure as such to cause engine knock? I just don't buy it. Suck it up Hyundai, It was a bad motor period!! Don't pass blame on a filter. geeze.

My Dad has the Sonata V6 and never used an OEM filter either, but he runs M1 5/20 in his car. Again NO ENGINE KNOCK.

Engine knock is most likely caused by lack of maintenance, or just a flawed engine from the get go.

Jeff

I agree with you that aftermarket filters that seem to work well in every other vehicle they're specced for should also work find in Hyundais. But I think (terrible memory) I've seen anecdotal reports of people complaining of knocking noises that were fixed by installing an OEM filter. (I know I've seen reports of lifter ticking with aftermarket filters.) This is not intended to dispute what you say, but actually affirm it. The engine SHOULD be able to handle aftermarket filters and not be so touchy--one would think!

Last oil change in my kia i used a non ecore supertech with motomaster syn 5w20 no difference in engine noise at all compared to factory filter, I know some here don't like the supertechs. so far so good with this one.

srdriver Do u have a 3.5 v6 in that 2010 santa fe? Do u have engine start up noise? A knocking noise after the engine was turned of for a couple of hours? If you do Call hyundai asap

old news this has been known for years on the hyundai forums

I have heard this knocking and an OEM filter got rid of it. Oem filters are under $10 + tax here North of Toronto at my local dealer. they are highly regarded by people even on this community and are cheap enough to be used by everyone.

Use the oe filter and buy it at the H dealer to document warranty compliance. Why is is so difficult for some to just color inside the lines?

Lines are there to be colored outside of.

I will use what I want to use. Besides being a pretty color and a thick can, I have no idea how good OEM filters are. I document warranty compliance with receipts.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Thanks for posting the TSB. Being a new owner of a Genesis 3.8L, based on my reading, the tsb may have been more for older Hyundai's and as posted for a knocking "noise".

What I've seen of the Hyundai OEM canister filters, they are solid filter construction. That said, I wouldn't be afraid to try a Pure One and/or Wix, and see how they perform. No difference, I'd continue to use them if they are better value.

I can say the new Hyundai cartridge filters, though relatively expensive, are nothing more than ecore type construction. In other words, nothing special, imo.

Sayjac, congratulations on the new Genesis. Did you get the sedan or coupe?

I know my limitations. I just don't let other people decide them for me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
I do not know about the Nissan filter, never had to use one.
What color is the Anti-Drain Back Valve? If it black, it is nitrile rubber, it does not last as long as silicone and does not stay flexible in the cold.
Hyundai/Kia filter has a nice thick can, synthetic media, silicon ADBV, coil spring retainer, silicon gasket.

BTW look thru the oil filter section here. A lot of good info.

nuff said

No, not "nuff said". For the umpteen millionth time... How does it filter? The question that goes on living... No one knows. It could have a superific titanium media; doesn't mean it filters well.

Yes, nuff said that this filter should be used instead of after market. Thats the question by the OP and thats the final answer, use this filter and dont have problems, doesnt matter how it filters, what do you want me to do put a camera inside and show you ?

Nuff SAID if you dont want your engine knocking. have you ever seen this filter ?

bet you dont even drive a hyundai, so have you ever heard this knocking ?

Last edited:
I have a Hyundai and I don't experience any knocking with a P1. Only noise I hear on a cold start is the turbo warming up for the first 15s. That's about it.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
According to the MArch April "Auto Service Professional" Hyundai has a TSB that says engine knock is caused by some aftermarket filters due to different materials, construction and specs different from OE Hyundai filters. All Hy models are affected. Only solution - use OE filter .

Which applications are affected, just the spin-on filters?

Fram changed their part number a few years ago over this exact issue and have a Hyundai specific application that eliminates the problem.

I have used Mobil 1, Purolator, and Honda OEM with zero problems over 50k+ miles.

i have used all kinds of filters on the hyundais i have owned and the only noise i get are from the blower for the heater when it goes below zero it squeals for a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back