Hyundai sez no aftermarket filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the exact wording taking from my Mercury Marauder owner's manual:

"Ford production and aftermarket (Motorcraft) oil filters are designed for added engine protection and long life. If a replacement oil filter is used that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, start-up engine noises or knock may be experienced."

Sounds just like the Hyundai TSB...I don't think this is anything ominous or a nefarious way of weaselling out of the warranty, it's just advice.

They have been saying this forever. I remember seeing posters in the Hyundai dealer back in 2003 stating this. My ex-wife had a 2003 Santa Fe, and I used whatever filter I could and never had a problem.

Sounds like Hyundai is trying to drum up business for the parts department or their own oil changes?

I'm not a big fan of Hyundai. The hoops that we had to jump through so we could keep the 10/100,000 mile warranty were ridiculous!

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Sounds like Hyundai is trying to drum up business for the parts department or their own oil changes?

No question mark necessary. It's a no-brainer. Some people will fall for it and be afraid to change their own oil or have it done anywhere other than the stealership. The stealership closest to me has a parts guy who told me he's on commission. Deceitful conniver that he is, he tried charging me nearly $12 per quart for that garbage SP-III ATF Hyundai peddles, which is yet another item they try scaring their customers into using, because by golly, anything other than genuine OEM ATF will burn your transmission! Don't spend $3 per quart for synthetic ATF like MaxLife, spend $12 per quart for sewage that will burn up in high temps and make your AT grind to a halt at 100,001 miles! On other occasions, he tried charging me $10 for the AT drain plug washer. For a washer!

I'm not a big fan of Hyundai. The hoops that we had to jump through so we could keep the 10/100,000 mile warranty were ridiculous!

The stealership I bought my used Hyundai wanted $1,300 to extend the 10/100K warranty. I had to think real long and hard on that one. /sarcasm

They have been saying this forever. I remember seeing posters in the Hyundai dealer back in 2003 stating this.

The posted TSB above is dated July 2005, so this isn't something new.

Thanks for posting the TSB. Being a new owner of a Genesis 3.8L, based on my reading, the tsb may have been more for older Hyundai's and as posted for a knocking "noise".

What I've seen of the Hyundai OEM canister filters, they are solid filter construction. That said, I wouldn't be afraid to try a Pure One and/or Wix, and see how they perform. No difference, I'd continue to use them if they are better value.

I can say the new Hyundai cartridge filters, though relatively expensive, are nothing more than ecore type construction. In other words, nothing special, imo.

Originally Posted By: glum
Let me guess--you were just at the Hyundai dealership and they tried scaring you against aftermarket with this TSB, right?

Some aftermarket oil filters do cause issues. Not all of them do. So the solution isn't "OEM only", it's to find a filter that works properly. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance on my 2008 Sonata and have no problems with it. I have heard of other people having piston slap and valvetrain noise issues with other aftermarket oil filters.

If Hyundai would publish the specs for their OEM filters, I might feel more comfortable with using them. But "doesn't cause piston slap" isn't a strong enough recommendation for me. I could probably hollow out an oil filter case and achieve silent operation from it.

I agree. Sounds to me like Hyundai should be providing the filters free if no other filter can do the job properly.

In regards to the beta and beta 2, I've yet to experience problems with an after market filter. I'm currently using the OEM filter because I got a good price but otherwise I'd be using the wix 51334.

Before some jump off a cliff thinking this situation is unique to Hyundai, Ford has several SSB's regarding the use of aftermarket oil filters in Ford vehicles. Their SSB wording seems even stronger to me than Hyundai's, the results of use causing failed engines. You can run a Google search for more information.

However, there is also an excellent thread here where the OP initially is told by a dealer that a Pennzoil filter, made by Purolator to Pz specs, is the cause of the engine problem. Interestingly Purolator found no issues with the filter, and finally another dealer fixed the engine under warranty. Worth reading if you haven't seen it before.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
You can run a Google search for more information.

no thanks! if you want to prove your point you will have to do the research. its a little backwards for me to do your research.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
You can run a Google search for more information.

no thanks! if you want to prove your point you will have to do the research. its a little backwards for me to do your research.

Since this was your first post in the thread, how was he talking to you?

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Since this was your first post in the thread, how was he talking to you?
Thanks Hoot, guess someone must have urinated in his cornflakes or something.
smiley-rolleyes010.gif
I posted the link to the thread which also mentions the SSM/TSB. For everyone else, here's a link which mentions a few SSM's/TSB regarding use of aftermarket oil filters in Fords. Also, 'if one is interested enough', one can google Special Service Message: 20375 which is similar to the ones in the link.

Before some jump off a cliff thinking this situation is unique to Hyundai

You have pulled me back from the brink. Thank you!
cry.gif

I have both a Motorcraft FL-820s and a P1 Pl24651 at home for my Ford Ranger 4.0.

They look VERY similar but the big difference is when you peek inside. Dome end BPV Vs. up front.

I'm still hesitant to actually using the P1.

I have no Clue as to why it would make a difference. I'm no engineer.

We see a LOT of hyundais with an engine knock including one in my family with only 4000 miles on it
2010 santa fe v-6 many of them knock not good!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Hopefully Denso filters will work OK on Toyotas

With the right filter for the engine, I'd imagine so. Denso is a Toyota subsidiary and supplies the Toyota branded filters.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Sounds like a way for Hyundai to get out from under their 100K warranty. That is the silliest thing I have ever heard. After market filters cause Engine knock.

Jeff, it seems that you form your opinions based only on what happens to you. You dispel the idea that a filter could cause engine start up noise based on your use of Frams.

Then, you go on and "confirm" Hyundai's recommendation to use only Quacker State based on your experience with Mobil:

Quote:
But what is funny too is Hyundai also Recommends Quaker State Oil in the manual. But my Hyundai Dealer puts in Mobil. I get more valvetrain noise with Mobil so I do the Oil Changes myself with Quaker State 5/20

If you use the search function here and type in "oil filter noise", you can find many examples of people experiencing start up noise on many vehicle brands using any given brand of filter. And, by changing the filter brand, these people eliminated the start up noise.

Hyundai is probably just addressing an issue that shows up at the shop too many times. I do wonder how the TSB is worded in order to avoid the Magneson Moss stipulations.

Your just taking words out of context. I use the same filters off and on for 4 yrs. I have only had Hyundai change my oil 1 time in 4 yrs. The ONE time they did they put in Mobil oil and i have lifter tick WITH the OEM filter. When I switched back to fram or Pure1 filter and continued the use of the QS oil that I was using AND is recommended in the manual the LIFTER TICK was gone. Why? Who cares. has NOTHING to do with the filter.

Don't read into things too much. And quote facts NOT opinions.

Thank You very much.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back