Hyundai Recall 470,000 Sonata and 100,000 Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Hyundai is recalling nearly a half-million midsize cars in the U.S. to replace key engine parts because a manufacturing problem could cause them to fail.

The company also is recalling nearly 100,000 Accent small cars because the brake lights can fail.

Hyundai says that metal debris may not have been fully removed from the crankshaft area during manufacturing at Hyundai's Alabama engine plant. That can restrict oil flow to the connecting rod bearings, and since they are cooled by oil, they could fail. If that happens, the engines could stall and cause a crash.

Hyundai discovered the problem when owners started reporting engine noise.

The Accent recall covers certain 2009 to 2011 models. It's an expansion of a recall issued in 2013. Hyundai says the brake light switch can fail, and the lights won't come on when a driver steps on the brakes. Also, the cruise control may not be deactivated by stepping on the brake, and the gear shifter may get stuck in the "park" position.

Hyundai used to blame aftermarket oil filter for causing engine noise, they demanded owners to use only Hyundai oil filter. If someone had aftermarket oil filter they would not check/repair engine noise.

Now, the real culprit is sloppy manufacturing process.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Hyundai used to blame aftermarket oil filter for causing engine noise, they demanded owners to use only Hyundai oil filter. If someone had aftermarket oil filter they would not check/repair engine noise.

They demanded owners use only a Hyundai oil filter. Does that mean they legally have to provide them free?

I wonder if this makes Hyundai leadership think twice about manufacturing in the US.

Quote:

Impossible; BITOG wisdom is a union is necessary to achieve this.... guess not.

We can pin it on the salary guys.....

Last edited:
My new p/u had 1 quart of lube the differential instead of 2.5 quarts. They are making thousands of cars a month stuff happens and it is nice the Mfg, is accepting the libability of their mistake

This is the main issue that steered me away from the Sonata when car shopping. I had read of sudden engine failure on these 2.4s on car complains.com. Glad Hyundai is stepping up.

Hyundai doesn't DEMAND their oil filters. But, if your engine knocks without it, then your choice is garbage and not going to be covered. That silicone ADBV, standard in the Wix and Hyundai filter, or working ADBV standard in the Fram 9688 PN but not working in their 3593a PN, is a must. Hyundai is not responsible for your junk generic oil filter if they can prove that startup knock was eliminated with their working OE MannHummelDongwoo filter.

Recall is an inspection for engine knocking. Replace engine if knocking otherwise extend warranty to 10/120k ... what a joke. At least now some owners won't have to deal with dealer refusal causing ulcers.

Will they refund all those engine already replaced by paying owners?

And, some are already stating that oil consumption is still a problem not address by the recall.

Any Kia recall? What about all those 2.0/2.0T/2.4 Theta's used in the other various products.

When I first read this, I thought oh [censored] my son has a late model Sonata. It's a 2013, so his is not on the recall list. His has almost 48k, and it runs great with a lot of get up and go.

Anyway, I think these car manufactures are starting to realize that the people, and the government are not taking [censored] any longer. Just look at all the recalls this year.

Last edited:
Wow it appears that Hyundai and Kia failure to remove flashing from crankshaft castings can destroy the engines!

If my car has to be recalled I'd rather have my diesel
emitting a bit more NOx, at least it doesn't destroy the engine.

Why doesn't GM do something like this? Why couldn't GM do this with the 3400 engine? I am glad that Hyundai manned up. I think GM needs to do the same.

1 of 3 vehicles, 2010 Tucson 2.4L & about to hit 92k on the clock.
I've gone in for 1 recall for the stop lamp switch. Although I had zero issues, I still took it in for the new switch (never caused issues with the cruise control system, shift lever etc.).
It's the only time I've taken it to dealer since I've had it. I actually expected them to up-sale for some service or something as they did a free multi-point inspection, but when done they gave it a full clean bill of health - everything looks good, needs nothing.
I have not had any issues and all I've done are OCs, tires, wipers & wiper fluid, and a headlamp bulb. Have never had to add other fluids (coolant, brake fluid (no tranny stick & no leaks).

Won't be long and I'll have 100k on the clock.
Thinking of then take it in (early) and get plugs, coolant, maybe tranny service, and I dunno what else if anything.

So won't be long hitting the 100k and I figure if it does that, it's done good. Never know when/if a recall gets expanded.
Been using OEM filters and PYB (5k OCIs) for some time now. Never add between OCs (uses less than 1/2 qt. @ 5k).

Ah... maybe around 100k I'll add a new belt, maybe change battery, now can't think of much else.

Still pondering to continue using same oil (which I'll most likely do) or try a HM oil. Been using 5w-30 (fill cap 5w-20).

Been reliable... had never let me down. This is my 1st Hyundai/Kia kind of vehicle. As far as I can tell, still drives/sounds like the day I bought it. And I thought I'd never buy something like a Hyundai, but something that day (Memorial Day) made me do it. Maybe got tired of the RAV-4 (was giving some issues & running funny off & on). Dunno but don't feel I made the wrong move now.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
it might destroy itself after the recall though...

Not getting it done, and we don't have emissions inspections here. LOL
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
it might destroy itself after the recall though...

Not getting it done, and we don't have emissions inspections here. LOL
wink.gif

Connecticut does emissions testing.

http://www.dmv.org/ct-connecticut/smog-check.php#Completing-a-CT-Vehicle-Inspection

I have several residences around the country, where this vehicle is kept there are NO emissions inspections.

I have owned 2 of the recent Hyundai products (2010 Sonata 2.0T sport, 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track)

In my experience, these have both been extremely reliable cars.

As far as dealing with Hyundai, They have not given me any trouble at all. I will say the 2010 had a defect right at the beginning, there was a transmission problem which they solved by replacing the transmission with a new one, this happened during the break in period. The only other issue the car saw the dealer for was a noisy electronic fuel pump in the gas tank, It didn't cause a breakdown but was replaced as a precaution due to the noise. The engine always ran great with no issues. Now, that 2.0T was made in korea before they started making them in the montgomery plant in alabama. The montgomery plant is where the crankshaft issues came to be.

The 2013 coupe with the 3.8 v6 has been flawless, it has not been to the dealer since it was delivered to me, and I am now at 50,000 miles without a single issue.

I traded the 2010 sonata in on the 2013 coupe when it had 100,000 miles on it. Now what really impressed me was how the car stayed very nice even at those high miles. It literally still looked brand new inside and out at the 100,000 mile mark. It was stunning how well it looked on their used car lot.

My impression on this whole crankshaft issue is that Hyundai is stepping up to the plate for their responsibilities and making things right for the owners, which is a good thing. They really have come a long long way in quality and workmanship from their earlier days in the US market. They truly are equivalent to the major players in the industry and it shows. Anyone still spouting hyundai is [censored] haven't been objective in their evaluations.

As to the montgomery alabama factory, as any executive or high level engineer from the other top quality manufacturers, and they will tell you, that factory is one of the very best auto plants in the world, this crankshaft situation is an isolated incident, and is a process problem, not a worker issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back