Hyundai manual says 3,750 mile oil changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what does the manual say . the manual has to say more than 3750 mile oil changes. Is this the severe recommendation?

Lower NOACK from a synthetic might be beneficial in controlling intake valve deposits. Beyond that, I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Exactly what does the manual say . the manual has to say more than 3750 mile oil changes. Is this the severe recommendation?

3,750 is for severe service. Sustained operation over 90* and short trips are my issue that would qualify my car as in severe service. I drive less than 5 miles one way to work.

Last edited:
I have the same engine, the key for you and I is an oil that has a low NOACK (as JRed mentioned). I dumped the FF at 600mi. and will continue to change with synthetic. Valvoline Synpower has low NOACK in almost all grades. PP and PU have low 5w30 NOACK. Mobil 1 oils do not post NOACK volatility #'s but I would assume they are good. The key is to keep valve deposits to a minimum in this DI engine. I am personally running MMO in each oil change. Get out and run the car on the highway whenever you get a chance as well. Redline SI-1 is one of the best fuel system cleaners to use also.

(This is the only car I have owned that recommends Fuel system cleaner before each oil change:)

What a great car for the money though!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I have the same engine, the key for you and I is an oil that has a low NOACK (as JRed mentioned). I dumped the FF at 600mi. and will continue to change with synthetic. Valvoline Synpower has low NOACK in almost all grades. PP and PU have low 5w30 NOACK. Mobil 1 oils do not post NOACK volatility #'s but I would assume they are good. The key is to keep valve deposits to a minimum in this DI engine. I am personally running MMO in each oil change. Get out and run the car on the highway whenever you get a chance as well. Redline SI-1 is one of the best fuel system cleaners to use also.

(This is the only car I have owned that recommends Fuel system cleaner before each oil change:)

What a great car for the money though!

Already with you on the SI-1. Have some waiting to put in the tank. I'm currently a tad over 16K miles. How often do you plan on using it?

I've been using PU since the first change but it is rather expensive to be changing out every 3,750 miles. I am using OEM filter BTW as well...

Haha...I've had it since May of 2010. One of the first YF's out of the factory. Severe service is anything under 10 mile trips, right? Takes me roughly 4 months, on average, to reach 3,750...

Your car is under warranty and your driving is severe, you should change oil at 3750 miles or 6 months whichever is first, therefor you should use quality conventional or the lowest cost synthetic you can buy on sale.

Hyundai Will do whatever they can do to get out of a warantee claim so make sure you use what they tell you to use... Hyundai filter with 5w20 would be my choice

Geez, I have a 2011 Elantra with the 4 cycl. It gets Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-20 and OEM filter every 5k miles...

If you start your car these days the manufact. claim severe service..give me a break!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Hyundai Will do whatever they can do to get out of a warantee claim so make sure you use what they tell you to use... Hyundai filter with 5w20 would be my choice

Seems to me like their almost all that way anymore.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Your car is under warranty and your driving is severe, you should change oil at 3750 miles or 6 months whichever is first, therefor you should use quality conventional or the lowest cost synthetic you can buy on sale.

+1 i would go with SN dino at that oci, and it will be as clean as any synthetic engine.
motorcraft blend would also be cost effective

Originally Posted By: Patman
Why 3750 anyhow? Why can't they just round it up to 4000?

It's an unusual number, so people are more likely to remember it. Thus, they're more likely to follow the recommendation.

or down to 3000
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

+1 i would go with SN dino at that oci, and it will be as clean as any synthetic engine.
motorcraft blend would also be cost effective

I see that others have voiced their concern over the DI engine and the possibility of more intake deposit build up if an oil with a higher NOACK volatility is used. Do you believe this is an issue?

I saw the Motorcraft Syn Blend at Wal Mart. Might try that next time. Thoughts on the Mobil Clean 5,000?

Originally Posted By: sciphi

It's an unusual number, so people are more likely to remember it. Thus, they're more likely to follow the recommendation.

Honda recommends the same for severe OCI for 2004 S2000, it's 1/2 of normal OCI of 7500 miles. They also cut the time limit by 1/2, from 12 mo to 6 mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back