Hyperlubrication!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew! This thread is giving me a headache...
wink.gif

kilou: Do 2 things right away...

1. Get that junk out of your gearbox.
2. Listen to MokaKule.

I'm a little confused...is the problem that your gearbox isn't smooth when you have the manufacturer's recommended fluid in it? If so, then there's got to be something else wrong. Volvo SHOULD be pretty good at making cars that work well in very low temperature...

quote:

Originally posted by RF Overlord:
Whew! This thread is giving me a headache...
wink.gif

kilou: Do 2 things right away...

1. Get that junk out of your gearbox.
thumbsdown.gif

2. Listen to MokaKule.
bowdown.gif

I'm a little confused...is the problem that your gearbox isn't smooth when you have the manufacturer's recommended fluid in it? If so, then there's got to be something else wrong. Volvo SHOULD be pretty good at making cars that work well in very low temperature...

RF Overlord, Volvo uses a Renault gearbox for my car. It is not built by Volvo and Volvo does not use the same oil as Renault. For example the pour point of Volvo transmission oil for my car is only -31°C where good synthetics can go as low as -60°C!!!!

My gearbox is still running fine with the new oil and the additive. I don't plan to change again the oil soon because it seems the additive I used is not based on chlorine. It contains some chlorine but it is not used as an extreme pressure additive and it seems it is volatil. There is a test of the additive I'm speaking about that will be out very soon and I'll tell you more when this has been released. In fact the test concerns the same additive but for engine oil application but base chemistry should be rather close and engine conditions are likely to be much more critical than gearbox ones so this will be good to have a clear idea of the product. The test provides oil analysis results etc and it seems that results are promising (no adverse effects, no corrosion, longer life of engine oil etc). It is an independant test and as soon as it is released I'll tell you where you can find it. My final decision will be based on the results of this test.

Regards

Hi,

I received a copy of the test on the additive called Mecacyl CR which is to be used in engine oil. It is in french. It is the same additive as the one I used in my gearbox but for engine application. Vehicule tested was a motorcycle 600cm3 with 57000km. An oil analysis has been performed and revealed a very low wear (very low metallic particle content in the oil after 5000km). The tester felt overall better performances although this is only his feeling (no quantitative test on this point). On the other hand, he stated that he could absolutely not see any fuel consumption improvement at all.

The conclusion of the chemist who did the analysis is that the product contains some chlorin but it is used in a solvant in the preparation of the product. It is not used as an extreme pressure additive and is highly volatil so that it is quickly eliminated during the first minutes of application in the engine. On the other hand, the surprise comes from an incredibly high amount of silicium recorded in the oil sample. The Si content was 2025ppm where it is normally 2-15ppm in normal engine oil!!!!!!! This seems to be the key of that product: investigations have shown that this additive uses silicone but they do not know which silicone is used and the manufacturer does not want to speak on this point
smile.gif

So no chlorin to fear but a high amount of silicone! What could be the problem with silicone? May it clog the engine? May it destroy the lambda sond?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back