HPL Oil Concerns

Well, the OP was bringing up misspellings as a factor in his evaluation of HPL. I think it’s reasonable to point out his mistake also.
Not being a jerk at all.
But you have a nice day now, champ.

Well, the OP was bringing up misspellings as a factor in his evaluation of HPL. I think it’s reasonable to point out his mistake also.
Not being a jerk at all.
But you have a nice day now, champ.
But he was talking about HPLoil.com, NOT High Performance Lubricants. Quite the difference there. And my comment wasn’t to you, that’s why it was responding to a quote. ☮️

Endorsements by all those TV race car guys so it has to be really the best oil money can buy. Da-Da Dave and all those reality stars do know best!

Let's see if we can summarize thread up regarding HPL automotive products ..... (not to fan the flames, but extinguish them)

* the OP's complaints were partly based on a 3rd party website he mistook for the HPL OE website; that 3rd party site has many errors in it that don't reflect well simply based on initial impressions

* HPL in fact does do many inside and 3rd party tests; some are industry standards and some are unique to their specific goals for their products, and those "unique" tests won't translate well into more common confines.

* HPL products won't pass some OEM or industry standards because the base oils and additive packages won't simply fit neatly inside some restrictive specs (often content based). This should not be interpreted as HPL being incapable of designing and producing a worthy fluid; they certainly could. The fact is they don't desire to chase that rabbit; they're going after a different game. We can't get mad at them for not playing football by our rules when it's some other sport they are interested in.

* HPL doesn't want to spend a lot of money on marketing and license/certification approvals; they'd rather spend the money where it counts for their niche customers (in the contents of the bottle; not on the appearance of the bottle). Some people (myself included) actually like the simple approach they use to the website and packaging appearance.

* HPL does indeed participate in engine teardowns for some of its applications; racing mainly.

* HPLs products are aimed at niche markets; racing, extreme endurance OCIs, etc. Their products, while perfectly acceptable for daily use, are totally overkill for daily use; there's no sensible ROI for using HPL stuff in "normal" applications.

I, for one, would be disappointed if HPL attempted to gain market share by diluting their corporate philosophy; please don't dumb down the brand!

The list above does not mean everyone should be using HPL. Quite the contrary, their products will never be a good fit for everyone; they don't have a one-size-fits-all product line. But for those who do fit into the niche markets they serve, well, it's hard to believe there's a better company than HPL. That does not mean other top tier brands like Amsoil can't also serve those niche markets well; they certainly can and do! But HPL is the ONLY ONE I know of that has opened its facility doors (literally) to BITOG, shown every aspect of their operations to anyone who would walk in, explain their corporate mantra, host roundtable Q&A sessions with leading industry tribologists, develop/market products in direct response to BITOG requests, and participate in BITOG conversations with absolute transparency.

I appreciate that HPL has made a genuine effort to improve chemistry, PAO, esters and so on. That said, I wonder if they have missed any key elements. Their packaging is rudimentary, their website is overblown, clunky and riddled with misspellings. Over and above all that, they don't seem to have any real approvals for their products from the auto manufacturers. Thoughts???

They're a lot like Redline before being acquired by Phillips 66.

I think it's fair to mention that HPL could produce API licensed products with the API doughnut and any manufacturer cert for which the recipe was tested. All they would have to do is follow the add-pack manufacturer's recipe for the lubricant and list the certs on the bottle, done.

Then HPL would be just like everyone else, able to print all the certs on their products.

The result is that their products would no longer be exceptional, just usual.

I hope that never happens.

HPL is a highly regarded and reputable niche boutique brand focused on catering to those that want an oil that is not restricted by licensing or chemistry. (Same with Amsoil SS/Red Line). While I'm often skeptical of many boutique brands, for what I consider to be valid reasons, HPL is not one of them. The good thing is, we have choices. I have not noticed any grammatical errors, but I also wasn't looking for them.

Really not intended for grocery getters doing 5k mile changes. To get more value out of these oils run them longer or under conditions they're designed for - ex @TiGeo

Last edited:
I've heard wimmenfolk having a similar sort of discussion, but the subject matter was makeup, not motor oil and the end result of the discussion was very similar..

I've heard wimmenfolk having a similar sort of discussion, but the subject matter was makeup, not motor oil and the end result of the discussion was very similar..Detailing especially.

Last edited:
I know I've explained this before, but I'm OK with the concept of a company taking an approved additive package (which both HPL and AMSOIL do) and then using that with a superior base oil blend and performing some (expensive) top treatment to improve certain aspects of the product.

Fundamentally, the AW chemistry present did indeed go through the testing in question, and there is direct and considerable knowledge of the constituents and base oils, and there is testing involved, so it's not similar to just using an additive to increase the quantity of a certain component.

As you know, I'm a big fan of the A3/B4 LL-01, A40, 229.5, 502/505...etc additive package and oils like M1 FS 0W-40 that carry those approvals. It's a robust suite of approvals from a variety of euro manufacturers with a focus solely on performance, since there aren't any limits on phosphorous or other constituents. Personally, I'm quite comfortable with that same additive package being blended with PAO, AN's and esters, with some additional attention given to FM performance (not part of the approvals) by one of the foremost authorities on tribology and who was behind the development of that very base oil blend. Others may not be, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But, I think it's important to note that the approach HPL has taken here is quite different from that of Redline for example, who, historically, used what appeared to be the same additive package in all the white bottle oils (Euro, PCMO, HDEO...etc), which was a racing-style chemistry with no approvals out the gate. That doesn't make it a bad product, but it does make their approach considerably different.

AMSOIL produces many actual approved products, and their approach to chemistry in their SS lineup is much more like HPL's. They've embraced Group III and GTL in their premium products however, without coming right out and saying it (and, even per Dave, Group III is not a bad choice and may even be advantageous to blend with vs PAO in some respects, depending on the grade), while HPL is very transparent on their base oil blend composition for their different product lines.

I also appreciate the lack of outrageous claims. No "this oil contains friction eliminator 9000! this isn't your grandma's chemistry, we don't just reduce wear, we ELIMINATE IT! We free those horses, STUD HORSES! SO MANY HORSES!!! BRAHHHHHHHH!!!!"
Shout out for O/K being objective on OEM approvals - some of the worst comments on this site come from self appointed Tribologists deciding that OEM testing is weak … It’s comical at best …

I don't think they would have made it this far if they had any issues with their products.
Top notch products for people looking for something better than they need.
When my supply of Amsoil is done, I am considering HPL. But again, way better than I need.

Last edited:
Back