HPL 5w-50 Hydrostatic Fluids

Thanks to Dave @ HPL, he formulated a 5w-50 Hydro Transmission fluid, for use with the Tuff Torq transmissions

I initially pinged Dave about it an he said no problem, he got busy an since it was end of season I was not too worried about it. I followed up not too long ago asking how it coming and he apologized and said not charge for this order, I told him I am willing to pay, next thing you know UPS shows up and drops off an order. Hats off! Customer service at its best. Thank you HPL.

HPL5w-50.jpg

Very good, but curious - what goes into a good hydrostatic fluid?

Emulsifiers. Hydraulic systems like to bring water. Especially tractors where you’re connecting implements. (Hydraulic line quick connects love to gather moisture.) so coupled with detergents. They’ll gather the water up and the filter will collect it.

You will have some added detergents that are not typical to standard AW hydraulic oils. Because there’s added contaminants in tractors. (Again, see those quick connects.)

You’ll also have a friction modifiers for clutches at times. And of course your typical anti-wear properties.

Would this better than Kubota Super UDT2 fluid? Kubotas maintenance schedule for the RTV's VHT-X transmission, change both filters every 200 hrs, fluid every 400 hrs. 5 gals of Super UDT2 and 2 filter run over $200.00 +

Would this better than Kubota Super UDT2 fluid? Kubotas maintenance schedule for the RTV's VHT-X transmission, change both filters every 200 hrs, fluid every 400 hrs. 5 gals of Super UDT2 and 2 filter run over $200.00 +

Super UDT2 is more along the lines of a 5w20 than a 5w50. So the viscosity would be incorrect. As well, I’m not sure if would have the antichatter additives that Kubota likes.

It wouldn't. I'd pick an all weather synthetic THF that meets both J20C & D.
I am using this in a JD with tuff Torq transmissions that call for both J20D and J20C. Tuff Torq the manufacturer recommends 5w-50 for the samr transmissions that are installed in non-JD products.

My hydro gear in my cub cadet calls for 20w50 or 15w50 engine oil. Would there be any reason it actually requires that vs a hydraulic oil of the same viscosity?

Back