An equivalent for John Deere plus 4 10w30 class cd for Tuff Torq K55 hydrostat

As the title states what can I use as An equivalent for John Deere plus 4 10w30 class cd oil? AMSOIL shows. 20w50 hydrostat oil but I’m not sure that actually meets specs. What would you guys recommend for the transmission on a JD STX38? I figured it would be best to go through it and change all the fluids.

(The John Deere STX38 riding mower transmission requires 2 quarts of high-quality detergent oil with an API service class rating of SG, SH, SJ, or higher)

It's just 10w-30 motor oil. Seems to be more of an hdeo since jd likes to keep things more universal and use this for both their gas and diesel tractors and hydrostats are just hydraulic pumps. So you can use any locally available 30/40 grade euro or diesel but it could be a vanilla SP oil and both would be fine. The viscosity between the two are very similar. If it was mine I'd use 15w-40 in both. I use 15w-40 in my Ariens kohler and JD briggs engine and 20w-50 in both my mowers hydrostats.

I just changed my mom’s jd lt155 k51 transmission fluid about 6 months ago. Not sure if it takes the same oil but I used Mobil 1 20w50.

As the title states what can I use as An equivalent for John Deere plus 4 10w30 class cd oil? AMSOIL shows. 20w50 hydrostat oil but I’m not sure that actually meets specs. What would you guys recommend for the transmission on a JD STX38? I figured it would be best to go through it and change all the fluids.

The John Deere plus 4 10W-30 should be put up on the shelf kind of like the old model Hess Trucks.

Let's go with my top 3 choices.

1) HPL
2) Amsoil Hydrostatic Oil
3) Amsoil 20W-50

Why am I saying HPL, well, a member here said he had better results with HPL as opposed to the Amsoil Hydrostatic Oil.

I will give you a tip here, now I have done this on cheap riding mowers, there was eventually a whine in the trans, they have gone 1000 hours on the original trans fluid. The secret here is to keep everything around the trans cool. What I mean is to blow the mower off after each use.

I’ve used Mobil1 15w50 in my 1998 JD LX188 with the TT K61 since changing out the FF. 26 years and 2,000 hours later, it’s quiet and still runs like new.
I think the OP's transmission is not a hydrostatic Tuff Torque but a DANA manual.

A big plus one on Brian123's advice about blowing the debris off to aid in cooling.

I think 20w50 helps them last longer or at least work better when mowing a large area and they get hot. You can get it reasonably as napa brand 20w50

I think the OP's transmission is not a hydrostatic Tuff Torque but a DANA manual.

A big plus one on Brian123's advice about blowing the debris off to aid in cooling.
The STX38 tractors came with either a 5 speed manual transmission or an optional Hydro. I've seen both.

Personally I'd use something like a 10w30 HDEO, 15w40 HDEO or a 15w50.

Back