How trashed can a six year old car be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I would pass. Car that poorly cared for on the inside was unlikely to be well cared for under the hood.

Yep, i'd pass....

Quote:
Haha for a second I pictured an attorney driving a Ford E350 van.
Conversely, everytime DemarPaint talks about his E350, I envision him in his shiny spanking new E-class Mercedes with AMG goodies :)

sheesh why even make an offer in the first place. sounds like a toilet with 4 wheels.

Nasty Protege' running on Trac ND30

2012-03-26_11-01-56_570.jpg

I forgot the exact mileage. I think it was around 288,000. I do remember that it didn't make 300,000. It developed a loud knock a couple of months after I took this photo and was dead in a month.
frown.gif
I was really rooting for the little Mazda but I think the ND30 may have signed it's death warrant.

I like the console funk on that one and the Altima, but the S-Type is my favorite. Reminds me of the Black & Mild pyramid inside of the Buick Rendezvous at the auction.
grin.gif

So, today I looked at a 119K '02 Accord EX that I bought for $3.7K.
I like and trust Hondas and we've had one of that generation for fourteen years and 170K.
I'll do the timing belt right now, since there is nothing to verify that it's been changed and I'll do three drain and fills of the ATF. I'll drain and fill the coolant as well.
It came on nearly new Firestone Affinities, a tire that I wouldn't have selected myself, but that seemed fine for the sixty or so miles I put on the car today.
A good driving Accord with a clean interior for reasonable bucks.
I'm pleased.

What color? I'd replace the pcv valve on it since those can turn into oil guzzlers over night sometimes. I had a 99 I4 coupe that I bought new and sold with 166k on it.

It started to consume a quart every 3500 miles or so. Changed pcv valve with an oem one and topped off with Valvoline MaxLife and no more noticeable consumption. Very nice cars.

Any pictures?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
So, today I looked at a 119K '02 Accord EX that I bought for $3.7K.

Perfect!

IMO, like said above, you can tell a lot about a used car by the condition of the interior. If it was taken care of inside, you can pretty much rest assured the car was cared for in general.

Based on your original post, the 2008 Odyssey I just traded in was almost new inside and that's with a 4 young kids constantly being in it.

It's a medium green in color.
This has the same engine as our '99 LX, which consumes little enough oil that it was fine on a 7K OCI with no adds I UOAed in the spring.
The '99 got stupidly short 4K OCIs when it was new, using either M1 or Syntec. I've since learned better.
Other than the timing belts on Accords prior to the '03, these are very solid low-maintenance cars.
For the '94-97 and '98-'02 generations, at least, you can believe the hype, at least in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back