How to win a speeding ticket with no limits posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a few tickets Thursday (9/1/2011) Southbound on Route 41 between the Musuem of Science and Industry and Hayes Drive (63rd st). Below is how each tickes was issued.

1) Driving a rental car without Insurance... I presented the CP a copy of the contract which indicated that Insurance was on the vehicle. He said it was not valid.

2) Doing 70mph in a 35 zone... When I got on RT-41 Southbound at 57th Street (right hand turn) there was no sign posted for 7/8 of a mile the indicates what's the speed limit. Only when you get to 61 street is a sign posted that reads 35, which the CP was sitting there.

3) The CP comes up behind me and signals me to turn right (his lights was not on) so I hit my turn signal and do so. He then gives me a ticket for ILLEGAL LANE CHANGE- NO TURN SIGNAL.

So I go back to the location to see where is a 35mph zone there is NON between 57th Street (Route 41 Southbound and 61 street) which 240 yards from his post, and a 30 sign 225 yards from the 35 sign. The CP only turned on his lights after both vechicles was parked , so I don't know if the dash-cam was activated during the process before the stop. I went up and down (south and north) route 41 to see if signs are posted. What I found out is this strip of HWY is the Only part os route 41 where no sign is posted. Also the Illinois Rules of the Road book on page 20 states "The following speed limits apply, unless otherwise posted: Most other highways and rural areas-55 mph".

Does the dash-cam has to be on to record the events even the speeding infraction? Or is it simply my word against his? Yes I will try and get a video recording of the strip of HWY to validate my claim. I know I was doing 55mph!

Lawyer up! This one sounds worth fighting.

You might have to subpoena the dash cam footage before they tape over it.

I was a juror on an OUI case where the cop "forgot" to load the dashcam VCR. Guy got off.
01.gif

Why not go to traffic court? Digital photos are cheap, sure it takes some time, but I'd imagine that if you enter into evidence the rental agreement, photos of the length on lakeshore that you rode along, etc., hose should be knocked out.

The non-use of signal is a you vs the officer thing. I dont haven an answer for that, but I think that if you are dressed professionally (suit and tie), stand when you address the judge (respect), and request that the can be brought into evidence if necessary as you believe 110% that you used the blinker, then I have to guess that youll be OK.

There are speed limits for residential, though fares and other limits. My town has 35 MPH limits for side streets and very seldom is there a sigh. 70 in a 35 zone and you couldn't figure out this was way too fast?
Ignorance of a law is not a defense and I think you are stuck.
If you have car insurance on your own vehicles then you should be covered on a rental. IL can be tuff on irrrant drivers, I know as I used to be one in IL.

default speed limit when there isn't any posted is 55. when you plead not guilty and show up in court, usually it's those stupid extra 'padding' infractions that get thrown out, in my experience (though its been 25 years since I was last in traffic court)

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
This is one of the many, many, many reasons why I will never live in Illinois.

It's not all like that. Outside of Chicago and its gravity, IL is much like the rest of the midwest. South of I-74 more-so.

here in NJ the dash cam is on when the lights are on they can also turn it on at any time...I just asked a highway patrol officer which happens to be on my demon dialer...Good friend of mine..

Chalk it up to, hopefully, a lesson learned. First of all, you wouldn't of got the other two tickets, if you didn't get the first. - If you weren't speeding at a ridiculously high rate, you wouldn't of gotten pulled over. Seriously, 70 in a 35?! You're lucky he didn't take you to jail. You need to take a step back, and re-evaluate the way you think about things. Like, basically saying that it's the cops fault. Or trying to find a way out of YOUR screw up. Man up, go to court, suffer the consequences, and learn a lesson. And by the way, with a user name like "da game", you may need to grow up first.

Fight like heck. I have fought a few and won. You need paperwork of the speed laws and good pictures of where there is no sign where u entered the highway.
Challenge each charge slowly and carefully.
You need to ask for a copy of his radar report on your car. every shot on the newer guns leaves a time stamp copy.
You need dash cam of the turn signal.
plus you ask when his gun was calibrated. and how.
When did the officer receive proper training on this equipment.

All you need to do is catch one lie.
Better yet is to confuse the judge. Done that too.

Fight everything! What have you got to loose? You are probably gonna need a lawyer and get as many photos as you can to illustrate why you thought you were doing ok.

Still, I think this is going to be a pain in the wallet!

dunno if I could post a link - but there are sites that have some folks very good knowing the ins & outs over tickets - oh, and like me, have radar detector toys. Some have jammers etc. hint hint

Originally Posted By: kasedian
Chalk it up to, hopefully, a lesson learned. First of all, you wouldn't of got the other two tickets, if you didn't get the first. - If you weren't speeding at a ridiculously high rate, you wouldn't of gotten pulled over. Seriously, 70 in a 35?! You're lucky he didn't take you to jail. You need to take a step back, and re-evaluate the way you think about things. Like, basically saying that it's the cops fault. Or trying to find a way out of YOUR screw up. Man up, go to court, suffer the consequences, and learn a lesson. And by the way, with a user name like "da game", you may need to grow up first.

First off, if you took the time to read the story you would have notice that I said "by Illinois law where no sign is posted the limit is 55 mph, it is written down as law". So where does the ridiculous speed enter? Try reading comprehension and if you judge a person by user name on a forum you probably carry the same prejudice thru your life. Judging a book by it's cover or a person by the name.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
70 in a 35 zone and you couldn't figure out this was way too fast?

Missed this...

Where on Lakeshore/US41 in/near Chicago can you go this fast??!? Maybe on the 94 going up towards Racine or on the Dan Ryan or whatever it is going into Indiana late at night.

but to be doing it on a non-interstate, US highway near the city, you deserve to have the book thrown at you on speed.

The other stuff, maybe not.

But what ive seen in situations like this, you might have lost your license and had your car impounded for the single infraction, so they gave more, lesser ones to make the pain the same but not the consequence.

You may well be lucky you got what you did!

70 in a 35 (or even a 55). Geez.

I'd get a lawyer, or get on those books
wink.gif
Something like "The Ticket Clinic" may be able to get you out of it, or charges at least dropped.

What kind of car were you driving? I know the old addage goes, they go for the "meaty ones"
smile.gif
Rental cars, being "newer" they figure you got money to blow :p

Either way you're looking at court costs if you "get off" of the charges....

P.S. I'd go NOW to that stretch of road, BEFORE the Public Works Department follows the route outlined in THIS THREAD, and puts up a posted speed limit sign! Especially if you intend to use this law/loophole as leverage to get the charges dropped.

Seriously, go NOW.

You don't know WHO reads this site, or where they are at, who they know, etc...lol. Someone will phone in the local public works and have them get a sign posted....then you are screwed as far as evidence goes....

So yea.....go NOW, position the cam from the back seat, if possible positioned so it can view your ODOMETER and the right hand lane for the noted speed limits signs, as a reference for the mileage, and the presence of no signage.....and obviously, make sure there's a date/time stamp recording on the video! And keep the stereo/ruckus down in the car while recording.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Da Game
First off, if you took the time to read the story you would have notice that I said "by Illinois law where no sign is posted the limit is 55 mph, it is written down as law". So where does the ridiculous speed enter? ....

So be it that your saying with no sign it's 55MPH assumed by law, your admission of doing 70 even in a 55 when apparently traffic area is congested enough to warrant a lower speed can be considered by many to be 'ridiculous'.

Get a grip, kid. I bet you were the one in trouble in grade school that was always blaming everyone else because you got in trouble. My advice - You need to figure it out now, or you're in for a loooong road ahead in life. Maybe you should change your user name to "Da Blame Game".

For those of you ragging on this guy for going 70 in a "35" zone, this "street" is a 4 lane each way highway that turns into I-55 South a few miles from where he was. This is in no way the 35 mph zone that you are picturing in your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back