how to lower hydrocarbons for emissions test ?

Check exhaust pipe temp with a temp gun before and after the cat. There should be a significant increase in temp. If not, your cat is hollow (or dead) and you probably need to replace it.
Yes! Also, to insure good catalytic converter efficiency, take it out on the freeway and drive it hard to get the cats as hot as possible. Try to go to the test center at a time where there will not be a line so the cats don't have time to cool off.

50/50 E85 and regular. Burn it off and refill with regular after passing. Even if not a flex fuel vehicle, I wouldn't expect a single half tank full of E85 to cause an issue. This helped my truck along until it was old enough to no longer need smog testing.

I use all my gas from added-in Redline fuel system cleaner. I just added in CRC Guaranteed to Pass today with 87 Shell gas. When I retest for smog should my gas tank be full? O what type and brand of gas? Would V-Power help? I filled up my last full gas with V-Power and Redline. The smog tech said I have unburned fuel due to high hydrocarbons.

So far I've driven every day for 200 miles mostly highway. Would this be enough to burn off the unburned fuel, along with Redline fuel system cleaner, Shell gas, and Guaranteed to Pass so I can pass smog?

I use all my gas from added-in Redline fuel system cleaner. I just added in CRC Guaranteed to Pass today with 87 Shell gas. When I retest for smog should my gas tank be full? O what type and brand of gas? Would V-Power help? I filled up my last full gas with V-Power and Redline. The smog tech said I have unburned fuel due to high hydrocarbons.

So far I've driven every day for 200 miles mostly highway. Would this be enough to burn off the unburned fuel, along with Redline fuel system cleaner, Shell gas, and Guaranteed to Pass so I can pass smog?
Fill your tank half full with e85, after you’ve ran the half tank of gas with the CRC all the way empty (ethanol burns cleaner) take a good highway drive right before going to get it tested and try and leave it idling while waiting for your turn if possible. Hopefully you pass. After testing fill up the rest of the way with regular 87 gas or ethanol free gas to dilute the ethanol.

our gas stations here only have gas grades 87,91, 93 so e85 isn't available. Do I use 87 as a substitute?

If the oxygen sensors are high mileage replace them. The engine relies on those for sensing what's going on and if they're not performing as they should the engine cannot properly trim the air fuel mixture.

Also make sure the battery is good. If the battery is going bad it may be loading down the Electric System to the point where the spark is weak which would drastically increase your hydrocarbons.

our gas stations here only have gas grades 87,91, 93 so e85 isn't available. Do I use 87 as a substitute?
You could do an online search for flex fuel near you. Maybe there's a gas station somewhere near by you don't know actually has e85. Otherwise if not then 87 is the best you can do.

Any race fuel supplier should have race E85 in 5 gallon cans. It’s probably $100 instead of $13 for 5 gallons. Maybe denatured alcohol would work, but I haven’t seen any information about using it as an automotive fuel. It’s ethanol, but I don’t know how/if the denatureing agents will effect the emissions.

Any race fuel supplier should have race E85 in 5 gallon cans. It’s probably $100 instead of $13 for 5 gallons. Maybe denatured alcohol would work, but I haven’t seen any information about using it as an automotive fuel. It’s ethanol, but I don’t know how/if the denatureing agents will effect the emissions.
I would prefer to use fuel intended for a engine. I have heard of people pouring in alcohol, xylene etc. From Home Depot but I was scared. E85 saved me $3500 for new cats on my BMW. Oh forgot to mention. Fill up with regular fuel asap or drive around a bit after the test to burn off some of the e85 then fill up. Don't let it sit

Last edited:
Also make sure the battery is good. If the battery is going bad it may be loading down the Electric System to the point where the spark is weak which would drastically increase your hydrocarbons.
My battery is new. only 1 year old. I cleaned my spark plugs with WD40 and it starts immediately with no stuggles.

You could do an online search for flex fuel near you. Maybe there's a gas station somewhere near by you don't know actually has e85. Otherwise if not then 87 is the best you can do.
Is this known as ethanol gas too? Since my engine is designed to take 87 would e85 damage my car? I am supposed to do the smog check with a full tank of e85?

Back