How To Lock These Screws

All the woodworking tricks, and comments on how Loctite doesn’t work on wood, are missing this point.

The screws are going into the other handle. This is a threaded, metal fitting.

This was the missing link of the question. The picture didn’t tell anyone that. I was wondering why those screws looked insufficient for the task and now knowing they thread into metal tells me they are still insufficient.

Another side angle on this story is if the door is easy to open or not. I’ve dealt with sliding doors that took extra effort to move. That adds strain to the handle.

I have 2 of these but only one keeps getting loose. This door is used 2x other door as this is the door to my PK grill and KJ smoker. Lol

Some gap filling glue - even though metal to metal might be your best bet.

I would clean the parts and use Gorilla glue. IF you don't to buy the Loctite thread maker stuff.

Can you drill and tap and use a larger screw?

Some gap filling glue - even though metal to metal might be your best bet.

I would clean the parts and use Gorilla glue. IF you don't to buy the Loctite thread maker stuff.

Can you drill and tap and use a larger screw?
The only issue with that method is if it works, then the glue is permanent, and no future repairs can be made.

Which is fine as long as the latch keeps working, but I would prefer a mechanical repair vs. an adhesive repair to preserve the option of future disassembly.

I have 2 of these but only one keeps getting loose. This door is used 2x other door as this is the door to my PK grill and KJ smoker. Lol
And now that it’s worn, and been pulled with the screw loose, the distortion/looseness in the outer handle threads is permanent.

The only issue with that method is if it works, then the glue is permanent, and no future repairs can be made.

Which is fine as long as the latch keeps working, but I would prefer a mechanical repair vs. an adhesive repair to preserve the option of future disassembly.
Naw. Not permanent can be broken free.

Funky design dough.

Pictures would be helpful... do they not have any interlocking bosses that transfer the force from the handle to the door vs it going through the screws?

Can you try switching the handles and see if the less used handle stays tight?

Here's the pics. 3/32 allen head screws.

Attachments

• tempImage3heDJg.jpg
    tempImage3heDJg.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 25
  • tempImage9AEG7e.jpg
    tempImage9AEG7e.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 26
  • tempImageIrstsf.jpg
    tempImageIrstsf.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 24
  • tempImage6KLszn.jpg
    tempImage6KLszn.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 25
Pictures would be helpful... do they not have any interlocking bosses that transfer the force from the handle to the door vs it going through the screws?

Can you try switching the handles and see if the less used handle stays tight?
Wrong colors and different handles with different locks.

Maybe I need to get 2 of those middle bolts with the sleeves????

Those bolts have threadlocker on them - and from the threadlocker (which is smooth) and the pictures of the bosses (metal castings into which the threads are cut) - you've got no threads left on the female side. Those are also some very long allen head screws and they're color-matched. Best case, you can get a set that is the next size bigger, but then you would have to replace the sleeve, and the head size and shape might be off a bit.

If it were mine - Clean the threads on your screws. Finish up with a die to ensure they are both clean and good.

Helicoil the bosses. That's the only way to keep the screws that you already have - that fit in length, and color, and head shape to the inner handle.

Helicoil isn't very strong for some applications, but in this case, they're about perfect. They let you re-use the old screws. They aren't so thick that you'll destroy the bosses installing them. They're about $15 at the auto parts store for a kit that will include the drill, the tap, and a couple of coils...

Measure your screws carefully, including thread pitch, to ensure you're getting the right one (looks like about M5, but I'm guessing from an iphone photo on the internet).

How far are you from VB? I've got some you're welcome to use...

OK, I had more time to fiddle with everything. I don't know the proper terms but I have found my problem.
The allen screws are locked in tight as a drum. No problem with them. I can't budge them.

It's that barrel tube looking piece the allen screws screw into and it screws into the metal tubes on the outside door handle.
The threads on those barrel tubes are buggered up and they won't stay tight in the metal tubes.d

The cropped picture below shows the problem.

Now, what do you recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_5622.jpeg
    IMG_5622.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 17
Same solutions - just apply the threaded barrel vs screw.

Don't pella have a lifetime warranty? have you tried to cll them and order a replacement?

Back