How To Lock These Screws

My Pella sliding door has a handle that keeps coming loose. The screws don't have the best threads. What can I do to lock these screws in for good?
I used some Red Locktite and it didn't last a month.

Attachments

• IMG_5619.jpeg
    IMG_5619.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 150
Looks like the screws are small for the application.

Do they tighten up or are they loose after screwing in all the way?

Loctite only works metal to metal, not on wood. Super glue might be better. Remove the handle and move it slightly up or down and drill new holes that fit tight on the screws.

This is the original door and screws from 1994. I really can't completely tighten one of the screws. I was hoping the locktite would work.

The screws are going into a metal sleeve on the outside handle.

I'll take it apart in the next day or so and so you what the insides look like. I may have a bigger mess....LOL

Put a compressible washer of some sort under the screw.
I would suggest a small o ring.
That and the locktite should get it done.

If you never need to remove the screws ever again you can coat the screw in 5 min epoxy and use a toothpick to stuff some in the hole. Some will squish out that you can wipe up with alcohol while its wet. They wont come out without the wood attached. If you need to get them out you can use wood glue to glue broken toothpicks into the holes. Give it about 2 or 3 hours to dry before putting the screws back in.

If you never need to remove the screws ever again you can coat the screw in 5 min epoxy and use a toothpick to stuff some in the hole. Some will squish out that you can wipe up with alcohol while its wet. They wont come out without the wood attached. If you need to get them out you can use wood glue to glue broken toothpicks into the holes. Give it about 2 or 3 hours to dry before putting the screws back in.
This. Glue the heck out of it, maybe some JB Weld. Put masking tape on the handle and use a razor to cut out the hole so you don't make a mess.

I usually just put in some toothpicks and keep snappin'em off till I can't put in anymore. Then get a slightly longer and/or maybe oversize screws and call it a day. Yeah, you could buy some inserts too but they often just spin in the holes.

I usually just put in some toothpicks and keep snappin'em off till I can't put in anymore. Then get a slightly longer and/or maybe oversize screws and call it a day. Yeah, you could buy some inserts too but they often just spin in the holes.
My father, a wood worker, taught me the tooth pick trick when I was a kid. We didn't have to use over sized screws, though. I also learned to drill the hole larger an glue a dowel rod into the hole(s). when set (dry) drill a new hole for the screw(s).

This is the original door and screws from 1994. I really can't completely tighten one of the screws. I was hoping the locktite would work.

The screws are going into a metal sleeve on the outside handle.

I'll take it apart in the next day or so and so you what the insides look like. I may have a bigger mess....LOL
All the woodworking tricks, and comments on how Loctite doesn’t work on wood, are missing this point.

The screws are going into the other handle. This is a threaded, metal fitting.

All the woodworking tricks, and comments on how Loctite doesn’t work on wood, are missing this point.

The screws are going into the other handle. This is a threaded, metal fitting.
That is correct.

@Gebo - I would like to see how much "meat" you've got on the female fitting on the outside handle. I suspect what is going on is that the threads in the soft alloy are worn out. When the screw gets loose, and the inner handle used, lots of stress is placed on those threads, which are in a soft alloy. So, they last if they stay tight, but once they get loose, they get destroyed in short order.

If you've got enough thickness in the casting, then drilling and tapping to the next size screw would be my recommendation.

If not, then you might be looking at a new outer handle. Pella is a company that supports their products. I was able to get handles for 40 year old windows.

We're all guessing because we don't know exactly what the female threaded end is like. You might be lucky and a slightly longer screw might grab onto some good threads. You might be able to drill completely through the assembly and use decorative bolts to hold everything together (nut on inside). Self tapping screws one size bigger?

It is a threaded metal fitting.

I’ll get some pics for you

Back