How To Lock These Screws

Ah, I see. You have not one long screw, but a short screw that holds into the barrel screw that screws into the bosses on the outside handle.

Hmm. Spare parts would be my first choice, but even with spare parts, you would need an outside handle and the barrel screws. I wonder what they would cost. I've had good luck with old Pella parts via internet searching.

Short of spare parts, how are the threads on the barrel screw? you clean up the threads on the barrel screw, then helicoil the bosses from there?

OK, I had more time to fiddle with everything. I don't know the proper terms but I have found my problem.
The allen screws are locked in tight as a drum. No problem with them. I can't budge them.

It's that barrel tube looking piece the allen screws screw into and it screws into the metal tubes on the outside door handle.
The threads on those barrel tubes are buggered up and they won't stay tight in the metal tubes.d

The cropped picture below shows the problem.

Now, what do you recommend?
Find a longer screw first. This seems the easiest. After you clean up the mess. Even if you have to grind a bit off the length, you need max thread engagement.

Longer screw and one of the thread remaker glues, or Gorilla glue. Tight but not over tight.

I really don't want to take you down the path of rethreading quite yet.

Pella is useless. I got Pella windows along with the 2 wooden sliding doors. Pella and I have had several conversations
over the last 30 years. My doors do not have life time warranty. It was the next model that got the life time warranty.
The metal blinds have broken in my wooden sliders. They want $900 per panel plus labor. I got 5 screens.

My windows sweated and Pella got class action sued but I was out of the time frame for that lawsuit. One of my sliding doors had rotted along the bottom panel due to a faulty design and they had a recall (pics were posted here) but I was out of that recall as well.

I'm not a big fan of Pella.

You know, I will call Pella. Just for kicks. Probably $400 for the handle.😁

Wait, that thread locker is blue. Is that the right one?

Are the barrel screw and the bosses on the handle basically the same size? Is there any extra space in the hole in the door?

My father, a wood worker, taught me the tooth pick trick when I was a kid. We didn't have to use over sized screws, though. I also learned to drill the hole larger an glue a dowel rod into the hole(s). when set (dry) drill a new hole for the screw(s).
Repairing a threaded hole in wood - This is the way to go.

But I think (someone) said the handle screwed to the 'exterior' handle.

Last edited:
Are the barrel screw and the bosses on the handle basically the same size? Is there any extra space in the hole in the door?
I could make some. LOL

Attachments

• tempImagejN6BQq.jpg
    tempImagejN6BQq.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 14
Ok, Pella has no replacement handles. They only go back to 1997.

HOWEVER, they do have a screw kit that may work and are gonna ship it for free. 10-15 business days.
I'm wondering of the female receiver on the exterior handle is the part that is messed up?

I'm gonna try and get the allen screws out of the barrel screws.....

Ok, Pella has no replacement handles. They only go back to 1997.

HOWEVER, they do have a screw kit that may work and are gonna ship it for free. 10-15 business days.
I'm wondering of the female receiver on the exterior handle is the part that is messed up?

I'm gonna try and get the allen screws out of the barrel screws.....

Well there ya go. Hope it works out.

it looks like there are no threads left in the outer handle or the end of the barrel screw. i'd try the new barrel screws first for sure, then the thread repair (possibly thread repair and new screws_... failing that assuming the boss and barrel screw are close in diameter you might try finding a piece of brass or AL tube (michaels, hobby lobby, macmaster carr) that fits tightly over there boss and making the barrel screw and handle one piece by sliding the tube over the boss and barrel screw and filling with jb weld or similar. You'll want to rough everything up to give it a bite... id say this is a last resort...

Last edited:
it looks like there are no threads left in the outer handle or the end of the barrel screw. i'd try the new barrel screws first for sure, then the thread repair (possibly thread repair and new screws_... failing that assuming the boss and barrel screw are close in diameter you might try finding a piece of brass or AL tube (michaels, hobby lobby, macmaster carr) that fits tightly over there boss and making the barrel screw and handle one picked by sliding the tube over the boss and barrel screw and filling with jb weld or similar. You'll want to rough everything up to give it a bite... id say this is a last resort...
I'm liking the way you are thinking. I'm thinking it is the threads in the outer barrel. I tried both barrel screws and they both tighten pretty good
in the upper exterior handle holes but neither barrel screw will tighten in the lower one.

I just need some way to lock the barrel screws into the exterior handle. It seems your way would work.

I'll assume you have a hand drill and bits.

I would be tempted to fix it with a barrel screw/ barrel bolt/ sex bolt, LOL assembly (Google it, McMaster Carr and other places have them).
I.E., https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/sex-bolt?zenid=138447896083ad57d2edcf9d06ec9e1a
I.E.,
1644369322798.png

Procedure:
You can disassemble the handle(s) by removing the 4 corner phillips screws if needed for access.

1.) Drill out the exterior female threaded portion just big enough to obtain a friction fit of the female part shown above.
2.) Pound in the female section above.
3.) Use the appropriate length flat head screw from the inside handle.
DONE! for under $20.

Last edited:
I got the new screw set from Pella. Screwed the barrel screws in and used super glue on outside where they meet. Used new screws in handle.

Everything is super tight. Been 2 days. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I can buy a white exterior handle for $150. Don’t want to go there yet. Thanks for all your advice.

Back