That'll be $86

I talking in more general terms about every day life. Everyone makes purchases and can inform themselves about how much things cost at different sources. You don't have to be a gearhead to be informed about the cost wiper blades or be a petroleum engineer to be informed about the cost of gasoline at retail outlets.
For the record I agree with you. I just don't count it as a character flaw if someone doesn't know better. I could see something like this happening to my wife, she didn't immigrate to the US until she was 37, and although now she is a US citizen, she still doesn't know how a lot of things work here. Her business until recently was mainly working with other Brazilians here in our area, usually the wives of Brazil tech bros that have moved here.

Although there is some intersectionality here between lack of knowledge and traditional gender role assignments as in many foreign countries. Putting new wiper blades on a car, that is the man's job in her world. She doesn't know and she doesn't want to know, because she considers it in my domain to take care of the cars.

For the record I agree with you. I just don't count it as a character flaw if someone doesn't know better. I could see something like this happening to my wife, she didn't immigrate to the US until she was 37, and although now she is a US citizen, she still doesn't know how a lot of things work here. Her business until recently was mainly working with other Brazilians here in our area, usually the wives of Brazil tech bros that have moved here.

Although there is some intersectionality here between lack of knowledge and traditional gender role assignments as in many foreign countries. Putting new wiper blades on a car, that is the man's job in her world. She doesn't know and she doesn't want to know, because she considers it in my domain to take care of the cars.
I agree it is not a character flaw to not be informed, but there is a cost.

A pal has near zero confidence ordering things online and isn't organized enough to order wiper blades ahead of time.

An irony here is that with a wiper blade purchase alone you can save even with RA's shipping costs.
4-7 days lead time is all one needs.

Just say NO to blue washer fluid. methanol eats wiper rubber and paint.
I run dish detergent and tap water all the months that are above freezing - seems to stretch out the life a year or two

Awwww Contrare....

I was mixing my own - 50% distilled water, 50% vinegar and a squirt of Dawn.

I've had to replace every single washer pump on my Toyotas. Well, I haven't replaced the ones in the LX570, it appears to be a complete PITA to get to! Not wanting to tackle that job.

I think I'm going to skip the dawn from now on. I suspect the solids in the detergent have screwed up the pumps somehow.

I use OEM wiper refills or blades on all my cars. I can use refills on everything except my 2014 Tundra. It seems Toyota decided to use a hybrid beam-style wiper blade on the 2014+ Tundras. They cannot be refilled.

I buy the new wiper blades when I catch them on sale at the dealer for about $15 each...

Just say NO to blue washer fluid. methanol eats wiper rubber and paint.
I run dish detergent and tap water all the months that are above freezing - seems to stretch out the life a year or two

When I was younger, I thought dish soap would be a good, gentle cleanser for my new motorcycle. Turned out to be a dumb idea. It removed most of the clear coat. N.B. Tap water contains minerals.

What's wrong with Rainex or other washer-specific formulas? I haven't had any trouble with the blue stuff I get from Pep Boys. Don't know of there's methanol in it, but I'll check.

To all you homemade washer fluid guys out there: How do you lower your mixtures freezing point?
Friends should buy and share a drum of methanol.

Also: In the few recipes I've read for washer fluid, just touching the end of the Dawn to a flow of tap water for a second is all the detergent action you need. You do not need even to invert the bottle into your mix. Too much will come out.
A "squirt" is way too much.

I had no idea homemade washer fluid was a thing. We don't go through that much of it here in Central Texas, maybe fill it up once a year at most. I get whatever the cheapest stuff they have at Walmart, used to be $1 a long time ago, now I think it's $2.99.

I buy silicone inserts that fit my OEM blades. I get the ones from Thailand or Malaysia on eBay. The last pair lasted eight years. I am in Texas but the car is garaged most of the time. The inserts have gone up in price over the past couple of years (what hasn't?). I paid $13 for the last pair I bought. They provide exceptionally smooth wiping action.

I go through about 5-6 gallons of either De-Icer or RainX style washer fluid in the winter. The salt spray and junk on the window is horrible in the Thruway.

Nicer months maybe go through 3-4 gallon of water and a blue tablet. Although I’ll use it liberally. It’s almost free.

Yesterday I was driving around to various AAP stores collecting the discounted GTX HM 10W-40.

While I was at one store, waiting for the fella behind the counter to get my online order, I overheard this guy selling this young girl wiper blades for her Honda Civic. Thinking to myself, "probably $40-50 for blades, poor girl paying that much". I overhear the total, $86 and change. Wooooffff!!!

It ain't my place to get involved, but man it makes you feel bad. This poor girl paid almost 8x over for what a set could be had for. Granted there is a cost to "right-now" and the convenience of having the guy at the counter throw them on. But wow!

I throw a few sets on every larger RockAuto order I do @ $5.10 a blade for Trico Ice. That has become my favorite year-round wiper as of late.

Highway robbery.
Few sets? How often do you replace them? I might go through a set in 5-6 years, if that

Few sets? How often do you replace them? I might go through a set in 5-6 years, if that
Two sets a year. The road grime and sand really tears them up too.

Two vehicles, then if I factor in my parents. I’ll do and easy 6 sets a year.

I might go through a set in 5-6 years
We used to go through wipers quicker when our cars were parked outside but I can't remember the last time I bought a set for my car or my wife's. But 5-6 years ? I can't imagine them lasting that long ! I do use Rain-X and depending on how the rain is coming down, I often just have intermittent on where others would probably be full "on", then once I hit 35+, the Rain-X does it's thing and no more wipers working for me.

I always feel bad selling wipers at work because labor is $30 a wiper blade and then whatever the price of the wipers is. So I only try to sell them if they are really really bad or if it’s required for state inspection. If they are bad but not like horrible I advise the customer they will need to be replaced soon. Because I hate ripping a customer off. We used to sell wiper blades for $19.99 a set labor included.

I always feel bad selling wipers at work because labor is $30 a wiper blade and then whatever the price of the wipers is. So I only try to sell them if they are really really bad or if it’s required for state inspection. If they are bad but not like horrible I advise the customer they will need to be replaced soon. Because I hate ripping a customer off. We used to sell wiper blades for $19.99 a set labor included.
You should offer free with caboose wiggle

Back