How “over” is too much over torque?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once listened to a mechanic that spent 4 years in Germany at the Porsche school give a demonstration/speech on why you need to properly torque wheels. Keep in mind we're talking about a car that can maintain 175 mph +. So yeah, I understand the typical car with steel wheels that it's not critical. But I would use a torque wrench on any wheel other than a conventional steel wheel.

Oh, and on the subject of not getting a proper torque because of friction. Most of the Porsche lug nuts I've seen have a sleeve that turns where it hits the wheel, aiding in a better torque reading.

qTszuQB.png

Yes bolt head and thread friction come into play and is why torque wrench error range is +/-25%

Make sure when you are getting close to tq spec you keep the nut moving to have your torque set using kinetic friction vs static(will increase error)

Last edited:
Quote:
07 F150 require 296 ft. lbs. of torque for the spindle nut

Are you sure? i thought it was 295.57689. Am I wrong?

Is Ford pulling your chain?

After replacing two broken lug studs(only one was actually broken by me) I decided to use torque wrenches.
I go to great lengths to try finding and correctly applying the torque spec of any fastener I touch. Might be overkill, but I don't have the decades of professional experience to "feel" it sometimes. And oftentimes, the same guy [censored] on torque specs would rather just use a garden hose for their coolant fill.

We have some very specific torque requirements in the aviation world. Interestingly, it's not uncommon to torque a fastener to spec and have it be in a near loose condition. Mostly due to the very variable drag torque of locking features. We do measure the drag torque. Unfortunately, drag torque often increases markedly as the locking feature bites into virgin threads, the the bolt's head generates friction as it touches.

Lube torques are better. And on those old tech piston engines, connecting rod bolts are torqued to a stretch specification. This is an attempt to eliminate the variable aspects of friction. When I overhauled my Cardinal's engine, using all new bolts and nuts, I noticed that a specific stretch required quite different torques (within the range) and two of the con-rod bolts did not stretch at all at any torque. Those were exchanged for good bolts. 12 years later, no failures. Phew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back