How old is too old "New In Bottle" oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some oil on the shelf in the sealed quart that is probably close to 4 or 5 years old, does oil go bad sitting in the garage?

We have a guy here running forty year old oil in a Z of the same vintage.
Now, if someone would risk ancient oil in a now valuable ancient Z, how much risk do you think would be involved in using oil that might be as much as five years old?
I've personally used oil that was probably a decade old with no ill effects to report.
There is nothing wrong with the quart you have sitting on the shelf.
Use it without hesitation. Shake it up if it makes you feel better as some here like to do.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Derp

I'm no fan of political correctness...by no means. After all, I was raised in hard drinking artery clogging Milwaukee.

But... "Derp" is a hurtful characterization of the Intellectually Differently abled.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Derp

I'm no fan of political correctness...by no means. After all, I was raised in hard drinking artery clogging Milwaukee.

But... "Derp" is a hurtful characterization of the Intellectually Differently abled.

Sorry. Just meant I messed up.

Urban Dictionary

Derp
1) The sound of a Brain- pH art, usually when a fairly smart person says something that's rather silly by accident or the wrong word or can't think of what to say.

Last edited:
I always wonder how people have oil that old sitting around.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Derp

Sorry. Just meant I messed up.

No problem.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
smile.gif

Bought some Amsoil for a car I had a few years ago and sold the car, now found a use for it.

Just get it very warm and shake it vigorously. Sitting it on the inside of a car on a warm sunny day will help warm it up to remix all the additives thoroughly

I used to take advantage of AAP'S mobil 1 5 quart +M1 filter for $29 specials. I would stock up when they would go on sale. My silverado and my wife's matrix both called for 5w30 so I had plenty on hand (3k mile oci!!). In 2011 we traded both vehicles and I had no use for the 5w30. In 2013 we inherited a Dodge caravan that the now aged oil could be used in. Oddly, it has turned red like transmission fluid but I still use it.

Anything older than SG I would be hesitant to use, even (especially) if it was bottled in 2017 to the said spec.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
smile.gif

I bought 5-6 quarts of Red Line Manual Transmission Lube back in 1995, slated for my 4 speed Plymouth GTX. The car was sold before I added it. Never had a similar car to use it in. It just sat in the garage taking up space. After joining Bitog in 2015, I posted it here on the "freebie come and get it" forum. The same model oil today would have been around $50-$60. I'd have used if there was a chance of getting another car suited for it.

Not likely to go bad in your climate.
Use it without hesitation after shaking. If you do not want it, just send it to me. I will use it
Thanks

my opinion:
Anything newer than 7 years is fine. longer if its not kept out in the elements.

ie basement kept vs tractor shed.

Originally Posted By: Racerngr1
I have some oil on the shelf in the sealed quart that is probably close to 4 or 5 years old, does oil go bad sitting in the garage?

Go ahead and use it. It will be fine.

I always shake the bottle before pouring it in the sump, regardless of when the oil was purchased.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just get it very warm and shake it vigorously. Sitting it on the inside of a car on a warm sunny day will help warm it up to remix all the additives thoroughly

Exactly. And observe the API rating....

I wouldn't run SH/SJ oil in an engine that needed SM/SL.
But it will be just fine for older engines.

So long as the oil meets the API spec that the engine calls for, then use it.
I just recently finished using my final few qts of oil from 2009. I have a few 2011 bottles of oil still, that is probably my next change.

Oil in a sealed bottle in a "controlled" environment does not expire. Just shake the bottle up before you use it and you're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back