How often do you pop the hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the BMW, about every 7K miles, or when the washer fluid runs out.
On the G35, about every 2k miles to check and add oil/washer fluid.
On the FX, about the same.

I clean everything under the hood about every 6 months.

Anytime the hood is opened I do a fairly thorough exam for leaks, troublespots, etc.

I check the Fusion every 1-2 weeks since it is older, typically I never find any low fluids. The others at least once a month since they're newer & their fluid levels never change. Lol

The Accord gets a check every 10% tick of the MM, easy to remember. At only 29k, I just check fluids and fill the washer bottle this time of year.

Motorcycles are hibernating.

E450 gets a check every tankful or 500 miles.

I've never seen my neighbors open their hoods, except for one do-it-yourselfer like me.

The Falcon, every couple of weeks. The Outlander, once a month, and I do the tyre pressures on both cars and my motorbike then as well.

On the 84 Toyota PU and the 2009 Matrix, once a month.
On the 74 Triumph Spitfire, about once a week depending on mileage.

Every Sunday morning. It's a ritual I started back in the '70s when I worked at a service station. I worked the Sunday shift and I'd check the wrecker before pulling it out of the bay in the morning. It's a good time to check stuff, it's calm and quiet.

Last edited:
Every week, sometimes twice.

I have fixed all the leaks and consumption issues, but I'm still obsessive about it. I'd probably be ok once a month or longer now.

Before finding this site back in 2014, I never opened my hood.

On the saturns, every fuel fill up. The truck about every 3 months, as its not driven much. The Elantra , every month. The olds, its so reliable, every other month.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I pop it everyday after the drive home. I don't see any point in holding all that heat in.

Ok, but what about your car?
smile.gif

Rarely.
If a car is leaking anything, you'll see it where you park it.
If anything odd is going on, you'll hear it.
For engines that leak or burn oil, you'll know it and will check as needed.
Operating the hood release obsessively will only wear out the cable prematurely and cause it to break.
Good luck with that.

On the two cars every week to week and half. The truck doesnt get driven much so I check it out maybe once every two months, it burns 0 oil since I shut off AFM. So nothing to see there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back