How often do you guys go WOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
And you guys take the WOT all the way to redline? Some of you are saying you do it a couple times a week, seems like a lot.

WOT to 8000 redline(and to 8200 fuel cut off) in S2000 is part of the reasons I bought the car. The S2000 engine didn't wake up until passed 6000 RPM.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Again, what exactlty is the benefit of WOT?

I think there is something to the "Italian Tuneup" concept that is beneficial; whether it blows out some deposits or just "stretches" parts. Every car I've owned and driven drives better if you exercise it and give it a good romp.

Have any of you treated your vehicles in this way on a regular basis and got 200,000+ miles out of them?

My 1995 Civic EX(vtec) saw WOT daily and 6000 RPM at some point in daily commute. I sold it running fine with 230,000 miles.

Have any of you treated your vehicles in this way on a regular basis and got 200,000+ miles out of them?
my first car was a 78 toyota. I beat on that thing and it finally dropped a valve at 312k. My jeep has 145k on it. Runs fine. My 87 ford in my sig has been running since 87. A previus owner used it to pull a large camper to ak and back every year. I guarantee it was on the floor several times a day atleast.

Last edited:
I rarely do, and most people rarely use it either.

My father did have a car that required full throttle for everything. It was a 1987 Hyundai Excel. Most of those cars never lasted, and that could be one reason.

I go pedal to the metal in all my cars atleast 5-6 times a day. I [censored] you not. haha.
But I always end up selling my cars when they get old.

Multiple times a day. A WOT run to redline does no harm to the drivetrain of my car whatsoever, that is what it was built for. I plan on doing it a lot more when I get the proper exhaust installed. Only issue with the new car is redline WOT runs result in triple digit speeds very quick.

When I had my Volvo R car it did it daily as well, the feeling when boost hit was awesome.

For an GM LS powered truck almost once a week. Early shift points on this truck and the engine does not see 2000+RPM in my everyday commutes. I'll be a jerk and pull a WOT takeoff from a stoplight in town.

I wonder what a WOT run feels like on a car with variable valve timing? On my trucks above 4000RPMs (no VVT) feels like it does not make more power. Pulled a WOT run in my bros 04 Lexus LS430 with VVT-I you can feel the engine pull throughout the RPM range. Someone who drives trucks most of the time the Lexus can go freakishly fast!

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I wonder what a WOT run feels like on a car with variable valve timing? On my trucks above 4000RPMs (no VVT) feels like it does not make more power. Pulled a WOT run in my bros 04 Lexus LS430 with VVT-I you can feel the engine pull throughout the RPM range. Someone who drives trucks most of the time the Lexus can go freakishly fast!

Same with the Coyote, pulls hard all the way to redline. Having 3.73 gears stock helps a ton.

My Volvo R car had variable timing and a turbo and it would slam redline real quick.

i run my engines up to red line every now and then.. On my mint 95 Caddy seville i run from 40 to around 100 once a month because those engines build carbon fast. It runs perfect and smooth

Every day, when pulling on the freeway, on my way home from work. Isn't that what on-ramps are for?

I am one of those that believes that to baby an engine is to do it no favors. An engine that never runs at WOT never gets hot enough to burn off carbon deposits.

I have read a few articles from some engine builders that insist the best way to assure that an engine never burns oil, is to run it at close to red line for several minutes when brand new. They insist that this method is fail proof at making an engine totally free of being an oil burner.

Almost never. Only to avoid crashing. My Honda auto trans will break again if I WOT much. Already broke enough.

Just out of curiosity, wondering how often you guys give your car a WOT run or two? I did two WOT runs in the Accord tonight getting up to speed, I always feel guilty afterward like I just did my engine and transmission a huge disservice
33.gif
The engine was up to temp though. I do it once or twice every 3 months or so, not like I plan to do it, you just have the urge to punch it every now and then ya know? And when I cant hold off any longer I go for it. How about you?

I do that to my car once in 1st and 2nd gear every single day that I drive it. Which could be as often as once a week or as little as once every few months. (LS2 Engine)
I don't drop the clutch and thrash it.
It's just about building the revs quickly and in a sympathetic manner(plenty of throttle position and cylinder pressure).

The point is that it happens every time it's driven, and only after it's completely warmed up(> 16 Kms).

You've got to clear their throats to keep then running their best.
Besides you've also got to show them who's boss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back