How much bike do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's a matter of getting used to the characteristics of a certain bike. I've had a 900 Z1, a CBX, a V-65, and a V-Max...all bikes I loved at the time, but I couldn't go back to them as I'm now used to my 1800cc v-twin...I love how this bike's engine is just effortlessly loafing along at highway speeds, and it produces plenty of torque at all RPMs...by comparison, the smaller bikes turn higher RPMs and their higher RPM engines are annoying compared to the nice drumming of a big v-twin...I could always go bigger, but I don't think I could ever go down in size...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Like my 70's and 80's motocross hero Bob Hanna said decades ago, "They're are very few people who can ride a 250cc motocross bike to it's full potential". I think that statement is true today no matter what size or type of motorcycle you ride. Nowadays there is so much power in your right hand, and the temptation to use it is so great, alot of 'drug store cowboys' get in over they're heads and don't realize it until it's too late. Most of us don't need more than a 500 cc street bike for one up riding, but bigger is always better.
American car salesdroids used to claim that four cylinde engines would "burn right out on the highway". Yeah, after a couple hundred thousand.

Bob Hannah was a childhood hero of mine, and he is a very skilled individual indeed! However, a 250cc motocross bike on a motocross track is a VERY SPECIALIZED situation, requiring great skill. Take that same 250cc bike and try to run the Baja 1000 and you will find the bike to be underpowered and overwhelmed by the deep sand and additional weight of fuel/equipment. Like many of us have done, we've converted 2 stroke dirt bikes to street use. And, they fall amazingly short in the capability department. Bigger is better, as that 250 burns itself out rapidly, as it's always WORKING HARD!

And, that's the point of liter bikes. They are not working hard and have a very relaxed, pleasant feel while at typical interstate speeds.

I rode a Ninja 500 a while back. Perfectly capable of maintaining 80MPH all day long (until the crankshaft breaks, as they are known to do) . However running the engine at 8000 RPM for hours on end is absolutely annoying. Plus, there ain't much more umph there when headwinds or hills show up. Meaning downshifting and 10,000 RPM is sometimes required. Before you make the claim that the little engine is "glass smooth" at those RPM's, it's not. It's annoying.
American car sales droids used to claim that four cylinder engines would "burn right out on the highway". VW proved them wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back