How much bike do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience has been that once you get to the level you like and can handle a liter bike, you don't like less.

But there's a lot of lee-way there. But while you can talk horsepower, torque is more related to displacement and you can't get the feel of a liter bike from a 650. Here's where I have laid down some experiences, granted this was several years ago and I have not updated it in years:

http://www.bikepics.com/members/kamerer/

Bike I bought for commuting and never though I'd love, but do? 1983 Honda CB1000C. Upright riding position, very retro-standard. Enough torque and weight to be stable, but not too much horsepower to tempt you into foolishness. But just enough to do whatever you want within reason. A great "mature rider" bike. Don't hesitate to look at older standards to meet the need I think you are going for.

I also like the Yamaha FJ-09, it has enough power so you can change the sprockets to lower the rpm's on the freeway. That will get you more miles per tank and it really smooth's out the bike at speed so you can do more miles and still be comfortable after a long days ride.

ROD

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I was gettin' the itch to get back in after a couple decades of raising kids and had settled on a KTM Super Duke 1290. Females in the house went nuts. The consolation prize was a 2SS/RS Camaro convertible. It killed the two wheel deal pretty quick.

My household females said no to me getting a bike also. But I got one anyways. They got over it.

+1
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Silk
I've always been in the push a slow bike fast camp. On a fast bike I always seem to be on the brakes, I'd rather spend more time on the throttle even if I'm going a lot slower. I learned this when I put an M20 engine into my 1954 BSA 650 - 13hp pushing a 425lb bike meant I never ever backed off, maintaining speed was paramount. I have spent most of my 45 years on motorcycles on 2 valve 650 twins, so my BMW R65 is familiar ground. For my use it's all I need or want for power and speed.
Plus the old farm implement can usually be fixed with the tool set the '65 came with.
smile.gif
I'm glad batteries have dropped in price.

Nothing less than a liter displacement for me. Power is intoxicating. My Duc as 150hp / 92 lb-ft weighs about 500 and yet I crave more.

Lots of good ideas and suggestions, thanks fellas.
thumbsup2.gif

FJ-09 huh? I hadn't even thought of that one. I really need to ride them first and I see that most of the manufacturers don't have their 2015 demo day schedules out yet.

As a sportbike rider I crave speed, though not as much as I used to. I prefer bikes with at least 100 HP and a fair amount of torque. My current bike is a 2003 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, and it fills the bill nicely. It's just sporty enough, yet all day comfortable.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Dude I work with is about the OP's size.

He rides a Vstar 250.

That's too funny. I bought a 2004 Harley Heritage off of the showroom floor and if you guys ask really nice I'll show you a pic of me standing beside it. Who knew that Harley Davidson made scooters?

Last edited by a moderator:
GOt a client who runs a multi make cycle sales and service operation. My BMW doesn't generate a lot of revenue from him, but he lets me ride anything which comes in new or used. "You gotta try this lime green rice burner with many cylinders" he said. Off I went... was cranking around a nice coverleaf when I hit a patch of AC drip, or antifreeze or whatever, and said bike of many cylinders jumped about a foot sideways, front and rear. I drove SLOWLY back to the shop saying "i'm glad I'm still alive" over and over. Only thing that eve scared me more was riding in a Huey flown by a 19 year old Warrant who must have taken something VERY unusual for his headache.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
GOt a client who runs a multi make cycle sales and service operation. My BMW doesn't generate a lot of revenue from him, but he lets me ride anything which comes in new or used. "You gotta try this lime green rice burner with many cylinders" he said. Off I went... was cranking around a nice coverleaf when I hit a patch of AC drip, or antifreeze or whatever, and said bike of many cylinders jumped about a foot sideways, front and rear. I drove SLOWLY back to the shop saying "i'm glad I'm still alive" over and over. Only thing that eve scared me more was riding in a Huey flown by a 19 year old Warrant who must have taken something VERY unusual for his headache.

The same thing could happen on any bike.

That's why I always advocate to anyone who asks, that they start out riding a Dirtbike. You become so accustomed to controlling a bike that constantly loses traction front and rear, that it just becomes second-nature, and a non-event as a result.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Please please pretty please, show us the HD scooter.

OK. I am setting myself up for abuse, ridicule and name calling but here is the fine looking Harley Davidson Heritage Classic:
002-X2.jpg

And here is the new Harley scooter:
IMG_0712-1-XL.jpg

Yes. It's the same bike.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Dude I work with is about the OP's size.

He rides a Vstar 250.

That's too funny. I bought a 2004 Harley Heritage off of the showroom floor and if you guys ask really nice I'll show you a pic of me standing beside it. Who knew that Harley Davidson made scooters?

He has done a couple 300+ mile trips on it...plans to run Deals Gap this August.

And yes, he will ride it down and back.

bigdreama, nice ride and yes you are a large fellow indeed. Hope you never try to squeeze into that back seat...haha

Have a good day
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

The same thing could happen on any bike.

That's why I always advocate to anyone who asks, that they start out riding a Dirtbike. You become so accustomed to controlling a bike that constantly loses traction front and rear, that it just becomes second-nature, and a non-event as a result.
I do ride dirt from time to time and it's a bit softer than pavement and usually without sharp granite curbing. I tell people interested in getting into riding to get a small used bike first, ride on the back roads, and watch the surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back