How much bike do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Originally Posted By: FastGame
Please please pretty please, show us the HD scooter.

OK. I am setting myself up for abuse, ridicule and name calling but here is the fine looking Harley Davidson Heritage Classic:
002-X2.jpg

And here is the new Harley scooter:
IMG_0712-1-XL.jpg

Yes. It's the same bike.

Nice ride. Theres a bunch out there , nice soft easy ride .
Jake

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
GOt a client who runs a multi make cycle sales and service operation. My BMW doesn't generate a lot of revenue from him, but he lets me ride anything which comes in new or used. "You gotta try this lime green rice burner with many cylinders" he said. Off I went... was cranking around a nice coverleaf when I hit a patch of AC drip, or antifreeze or whatever, and said bike of many cylinders jumped about a foot sideways, front and rear. I drove SLOWLY back to the shop saying "i'm glad I'm still alive" over and over. Only thing that eve scared me more was riding in a Huey flown by a 19 year old Warrant who must have taken something VERY unusual for his headache.

The same thing could happen on any bike.

That's why I always advocate to anyone who asks, that they start out riding a Dirtbike. You become so accustomed to controlling a bike that constantly loses traction front and rear, that it just becomes second-nature, and a non-event as a result.
I do ride dirt from time to time and it's a bit softer than pavement and usually without sharp granite curbing. I tell people interested in getting into riding to get a small used bike first, ride on the back roads, and watch the surfaces.

I just meant being able to comfortably ride fast on dirt, with both tires constantly losing traction, and having the experience to just instinctively keep the bike under control. That ability transfers over to street riding.

Almost every ride in the Mountains, or on the track, one or both of my tires will briefly lose traction and step out. If you are used to that, it becomes a non-issue to correct and ride on.

If the Sportbike you were riding was new, it also had new tires. New tires are slippery until the mold release is worn off the tread surface. If you lean a bike further than you ever have onto previously untouched tread surface, it will be slippery until the mold release is worn off that area of the tread surface too.

You are always having the most fun the exact micro second before you fall off.

That's why you dress for the fall, not the ride. I don't get on the bike without full leathers, boots, gloves, and Helmet.

I'm always amused by the riders that make fun of my "Power-ranger" riding gear, but they lack the skill to lean their bikes over more than a couple degrees. Mostly it's the Cruiser riders that comment, but some clueless kids on Sportbikes in Shorts and T-shirts, do as well.

There are even riding classes held on Roadracing tracks, that would help these people ride more competently and confidently, regardless of the type of bike they ride. But rarely do they take the advice to improve their riding skills.

Like my 70's and 80's motocross hero Bob Hanna said decades ago, "They're are very few people who can ride a 250cc motocross bike to it's full potential". I think that statement is true today no matter what size or type of motorcycle you ride. Nowadays there is so much power in your right hand, and the temptation to use it is so great, alot of 'drug store cowboys' get in over they're heads and don't realize it until it's too late. Most of us don't need more than a 500 cc street bike for one up riding, but bigger is always better.

Not necessarily...but the problem is that there are very few bikes suitable for longer rides that AREN'T 900+ cc's. And many of the smaller engines come in 7/8-scale bikes, making them cramped for anyone taller than 5'4".

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Like my 70's and 80's motocross hero Bob Hanna said decades ago, "They're are very few people who can ride a 250cc motocross bike to it's full potential". I think that statement is true today no matter what size or type of motorcycle you ride. Nowadays there is so much power in your right hand, and the temptation to use it is so great, alot of 'drug store cowboys' get in over they're heads and don't realize it until it's too late. Most of us don't need more than a 500 cc street bike for one up riding, but bigger is always better.

Aww man...now there's some memories!

I spent much time beating my poor tiny Yamaha GT80 within an inch of it's life believing that I was Broc Glover, finally beating Marty Smith's seemingly unbeatable Honda. We were all going to grow up to be Hanna, or deCoster or (in my case) Glover.

Hanna's right. At least where I am concerned.

I found that I was faster on a 2 valve XR200 (with upgraded suspension) than a CR250. Tight sections of the track, I was in a fight to keep the CR under control. I could ride 10/10ths on the wheezy 200.

And slightly off topic, the fact that they did those things on those bikes
33.gif

I rode an old but well preserved Suzuki TM125 several years ago. I can't believe anybody ever raced that thing. It would have made an okay playbike, but you start dialing up the speed and the chassis is just not there.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

Bob Hannah was a childhood hero of mine, and he is a very skilled individual indeed! However, a 250cc motocross bike on a motocross track is a VERY SPECIALIZED situation, requiring great skill. Take that same 250cc bike and try to run the Baja 1000 and you will find the bike to be underpowered and overwhelmed by the deep sand and additional weight of fuel/equipment. Like many of us have done, we've converted 2 stroke dirt bikes to street use. And, they fall amazingly short in the capability department. Bigger is better, as that 250 burns itself out rapidly, as it's always WORKING HARD!

And, that's the point of liter bikes. They are not working hard and have a very relaxed, pleasant feel while at typical interstate speeds.

I rode a Ninja 500 a while back. Perfectly capable of maintaining 80MPH all day long (until the crankshaft breaks, as they are known to do) . However running the engine at 8000 RPM for hours on end is absolutely annoying. Plus, there ain't much more umph there when headwinds or hills show up. Meaning downshifting and 10,000 RPM is sometimes required. Before you make the claim that the little engine is "glass smooth" at those RPM's, it's not. It's annoying.

My wife's little Comet is fine on the highway...her complaints are related to it being a naked bike (no storage & no wind protection), not how it rides. It's perfectly happy to run 80+MPH highway speeds. We did a round trip to Battleship Cove last summer...the dude leading the group was on a Kawasaki Concours 1000 & he was airing it out on the way down...he ran me into my governor (90+) a couple times. Aside from her having to downshift and hitting the rev limiter in 4th gear on one long grade, she had no trouble keeping up. Everyone was amazed that she was riding a 250. (The few who knew anything about Hyosung thought her debadged bike was a GT650.)

Heck...my Burgman is running 7000+RPM on the highway. But without looking at the tach, you'd never know it! And yeah: despite being a single, it pretty much IS glass-smooth! Suzuki certainly knows how to build an engine.

The Baja 1000 has had different classes of motorcycles, even 4 wheeled ATV's for decades including 125cc, 250cc, and the open class, both 2 stroke and 4 stroke. These bikes are hardly under powered or overwhelmed by the Baja.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Heck...my Burgman is running 7000+RPM on the highway. But without looking at the tach, you'd never know it! And yeah: despite being a single, it pretty much IS glass-smooth! Suzuki certainly knows how to build an engine.

I think having the whole powertrain mass as unsprung helps manage that. Easier to damp than a solidly mounted single.

My scooter has a noticeable buzz at around 60mph that goes away around 64mph. Very smooth for a single at 70mph. I can cruise comfortably at 65-70mph. By comparison, the Suzuki GZ250 single is flat out at 70mph and the mirrors are buzzed into uselessness.

I don't think the Honda's engine is really any better balanced than the little 'Zook. It's just separate from the frame. The engine itself looks more like an industrial engine that should be powering a genset or something. The only part that is painted is the cast iron cylinder.

One bike does not do it all.

I'm on the opposite end. 5'9" and 200 pounds. Everything is tall.

My FJR1300 is lowered 1". Same for the Kawasaki Versys that's parked next to it.

There's a 2010 GL1800 Gold Wing parked in the garage. That's the Wife's bike - I'm merely the pilot.

We also have a Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Perfect gas mileage cruiser for around town and the 2-lane roads.

.... and two Harleys.

Sounds like a lot (I know). We buy used bikes in various states of disrepair. They get restored to like new and get ridden for a season or two, and then get sold.

In my mind - a fella needs at least three bikes, unless you don't have a passenger - and then you could possibly get by with just two bikes.

I used to have naked bikes, but grew tired of not having any storage or wind protection. These days I have a '05 Road King that is setup to my requirements. It has a windshield, saddlebags, tour box, a set of hard lowers from a '93 Harley, drivers backrest, and a radio. I keep a rain suit and tool pouch in the saddle bag on the left side, as I don't open it that much. The tour box is where I stow the helmet and couple sets of gloves. I've got three pouches mounted on the windshield behind the radio. I keep different sunglasses and my ez pass in those, as well as gum and those oversized lifesavers. I always keep a towel in the right bag, to wipe the seat off if it rains. I'm 6'5" and have slimmed down to 300 lbs.I want to be comfortable when I'm riding, plus have the space to put things my wife picks up along the way. Having a bike that fits me instead of having to adapt to the bike , seems like the way to do it. I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a backpack or have milk crate, bungeed to the back seat.,,,

As soon as I find a way to have a Honda F6B, and a mint FZR400, and a Honda NT650 Hawk GT, and a Kawasaki KLR, and a BMW R65.....and not get thrown out of the house by my wife, I'll be set.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I have a 250cc Honda Reflex. I want a Burgman. Love those things.

Last edited:
I recently made the conversion to riding a smaller bike. I was using my Guzzi 1100 for daily commuting and found I was always struggling with the extra weight and bulk of a full size bike. I bought a 400 lb Royal Enfield 500 cc bike for my everyday 18 mile commute and I love it. 80% of the stress of commmuting just vanished with the lighter bike. Any discomfort from the vibration (very mild) or the naked bike aspect is simply irrelevant on my short commute. I still keep the Guzzi because it is so much fun on long weekend rides. I used to ride a BMW R80 as my only bike, and in my opinion middle weight bikes do not bring the best of both worlds, they bring the worst of both worlds. I would much rather have a lightweight bike or scooter for short distance riding and a heavy weight bike for sustained freeway riding.

Here in SoCal the freeways are full of trucks going 60-65 mph in the right lanes and cars going 75-80 mph in the left lanes. Most bikes and larger scooters can keep up with 75 mph, the only question is how long is it comfortable? The rider usually wears out before the machine.

If your bike is capable of a steady 65 mph you can be perfectly comfortable in the two right lanes. If your bike can handle 80 mph then you can stay in the left lanes which are significantly safer (50%) than the right lanes because of less merging and less road debris.

Now that I have two perfectly good running bikes (I also have a few vintage hangar queens), I find myself using the Royal Enfield for trips I would have never though it would be suitable. For instance I rode 519 miles in one day on a mix of back roads, highways, and freeways at 65-70 mph with no issues what so ever. Vibration was never a problem, and in fact it felt pleasant.

I am finding myself liking the light weight bikes more and more. I could see people having a new Honda or Ninja 300 as an only bike. And certainly something like a Honda 500 or BMW 650 GS is plenty of bike for solo riding.

I think we have convinced ourselves that big bikes are more comfortable when in fact they can actually detract from the fun of riding by adding a lot of stress. And stress is the right word. We aren't comfortable if we are struggling with the bike. So if we find we are struggling with parking, garages,steep hills, gravel at construction sites, and dirt roads then the bike may be too big to be comfortable no matter how cushy the seat.

Last edited:
My street bike is 550'lbs, have no desire for a heavier bike. Most performance riders already know lighter is better, its the other guys you have to convince.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I used to have naked bikes, but grew tired of not having any storage or wind protection. These days I have a '05 Road King that is setup to my requirements. It has a windshield, saddlebags, tour box, a set of hard lowers from a '93 Harley, drivers backrest, and a radio. I keep a rain suit and tool pouch in the saddle bag on the left side, as I don't open it that much. The tour box is where I stow the helmet and couple sets of gloves. I've got three pouches mounted on the windshield behind the radio. I keep different sunglasses and my ez pass in those, as well as gum and those oversized lifesavers. I always keep a towel in the right bag, to wipe the seat off if it rains. I'm 6'5" and have slimmed down to 300 lbs.I want to be comfortable when I'm riding, plus have the space to put things my wife picks up along the way. Having a bike that fits me instead of having to adapt to the bike , seems like the way to do it. I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a backpack or have milk crate, bungeed to the back seat.,,,

RK is a great bike. I have a Triumph Tbird 1600..820lbs but it is very nimble. If I ever trade it I'll get a Street Glide which is my favorite Harley. But the Tbird is so smooth and quiet that I'll have a difficult time selling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back