How long do you let you car warm up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-10F I'll go back inside and let it idle for say 5 minutes. 10F and up I drive off, unless if I need to remove snow and ice--then I'll let it idle during that time.

Now if I was at work, I wouldn't care if it was -40 -- I'm hopping in and out of there!

Couple of times over the years I've had to give in and let it idle so as to get some heat to melt ice. Every couple of years we get some decent ice, and rather than break the scraper and who knows what else, ten minutes of idle does the trick with a minimum of fuss.

Wait for the initial high idle to go down, then start driving. No high RPMs until the oil gets up to temp. That's about it.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
Warm up time is for the driver not a the car in my view.

Exactly, but some people seem to think it's bad for the vehicle to let it warm up in the winter time...

10 seconds for Spring Summer or Fall and up to a minute in Winter depending on temperature.
Drive it gentle for about 5 to 10 minutes if possible.

in 20-25C, 1-2 min warm up with 15w40 diesel oil then drive gently below 2k rpm..

i think if read this thread...mine so wasting

The syn power steering fluid seemed to make a difference last winter 2014/15 when I was back in MN, esp when temps were below 15 degree F.!!

It is a proven fact the majority of engine wear is conducted within 20 minutes of startup. Excessive idling after startup exacerbates the issue.

This being stated the vehicle is here to serve you not the other way around if ambient temperatures are so cold it would be hazardous to operate on the road with iced and fogged windows. By all means let the vehicle warm up and deice and or defog the windows and maintain your visibility before driving off.

Safety is more important versus engine wear.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Once it comes off high idle, usually 20-30 seconds.

+1 all three of my cars are around 1,500 RPM when they start. I go when they are at 1k

I cheat somewhat, as I have a heated garage. Year round, I start the vehicle, let the gauges settle down, back out, and head down the road. I have a couple of miles of gravel road before getting to highway, so not trying to set a speed record down them. By the time I get to highway, engine is usually at operating temp and I continue my trip normally. The easy drive to the highway warms up a vehicle faster than any idling would ever do. Saves a little fuel in my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back