How long do you let you car warm up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always start it and let it idle until oil pressure drops to 50psi or less. Usually takes 3-4 minutes. If I dont let it get down to 50 psi, the oil pressure goes to 90-95 psi even at 1500 rpms. I dont like knowing that I am driving while the pump is in relief/bypass. Pressure sendor is mounted in the head, and from my other forums I visit, if the sender was mounted in the oil pump to filter feed line, I would be seeing 20-30psi higher than the head

How long i warm up directly depends on how iced/ snowed up the car is.

If it's snowy out, I start up the car, and it warms up while I scrape the windows.

If it's just very cold out, I still let it warm up for 1-3 minutes, until the defogger starts getting the mist/ice off the window - I refuse to drive with the windows all clouded up.

If it's just very cool, but not iced/fogged up, I pretty well start up and drive away. I'm coming out of a parking lot onto a side street, so there is 2-5 mins until I hit a main street anyway.

In the summer, i start the engine then make sure the kids are buckled in and i am situated. In the winter, i start the engine then clear off the car or just wait 30 seconds, in both cases i slowly drive out the complex before i give it any gas.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Originally Posted By: Josh48065
Until the rim's go down. I don't wanna put my 3 into gear at 1500 rpm

When cold my civic idles div>

My PZEV Focus idles at 2,000 rpm right upon startup, then drops to around 1,500 rpm after 10 seconds maybe. But it'll stay well above 1,000 rpm until the engine (coolant) is fully warmed up, or near it at least. Either way, I usually start the car, buckle my seatbelt, turn on the radio, set the volume, check the mirrors, and I'm off! But I never accelerate the least bit aggressively until well after the coolant reaches operating temperature.

I let my car warm up about as long as it takes to get my hand from the ignition to the shifter. Start it, drive off slowly and drive softly until the oil is up to temp...the absolute best/quickest way to warm a cold engine/driveline is to drive it down the road. Sit and idle your engines till the cows come home, your tranny is still ice cold. Idling is a waste of time and energy.

So true. No sense in sitting there wasting fuel and just adding gas to your oil!

Drive gently, it's not just the engine, but the whole driveline you're warming up.

I can't warm up my car even if I tried, it just isn't possible.
lol.gif

The engine would probably cycle for about 30 seconds, then it would shut off again.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I can't warm up my car even if I tried, it just isn't possible.
lol.gif

The engine would probably cycle for about 30 seconds, then it would shut off again.

How does the AC/heat work for a hybrid? I would assume the AC compressor has to run of the motor in order for it to work.

I wait for the garage door to go up, click seatbelt, take off parking brake, put glasses on, adjust steering wheel tilt, drive out of garage and wait for door to go down. Then I'm gone. That's probably about 30-45 seconds max.

so how about if i using conventional oil like 15w40 on diesel engine 4 cyl? how long i need to warm up?

i live in tropical season, in the morning max 20 degree celcius..

is it still valid if i only warm up in 30 second?

I don't know why anyone would drive a cold vehicle...our vehicles are meant to serve us, and mine certainly serves me...

In the winter in driveway my wife does for comfort/safety of clear windows(5mins).

At work she drives 1500' to highway with stone cold motor(no warm just go) and accelerates to 80mph. No ill effects as she runs her cars 200k+.

When the tach drops below 1000 rpms. My clutch, automatic transmissions, u-joints, etc. appreciate it too.

It depends. Normal temperatures I usually start the car when I first get in, then I put on my seatbelt, adjust mirrors, put stuff away, etc. I'm a crazy old [censored] who actually does check all three mirrors to make sure they are right before I move. That means probably at least a minute. In the winter I give it a little longer until the idle settles a bit. Sometimes, I let it run for five minutes or so, like when it is 20 below zero.

Start her up and go, albeit not with the jack rabbit start that most drivers seem the believe is mandatory.

In the deep winter when the temp is below 20F, I let her idle for ten minutes to get the heat flowing before I go for a ride.

Start it up and go. If its below zero, I'll wait for the idle to come down under 1000 rpm. If I have to scrape frost off the windows, I'll start it, scrape the frost off, then go.

Done it this way for decades now, and never had an engine issue. The body always goes well before then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back