How do you survive cold weather ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Turk
That's my favorite thing to do in the winter also. I love hiking on a cold winter day!!

Cold winter day??
crackmeup2.gif
You're in South Texas!!

Come up to Minnesota in a day or so when it's -15F with a 20 MPH wind.
thumbsup2.gif

Haha I admit "cold" weather to me starts at 50F :p

"COLD" weather to me starts at 60F.

You guys up in the Great White North can keep all the cold and snow up there. We don't want/like any of that cold things you have, we like 80+F weather better.

My next door neighbor stay in Hawaii from early October till late May every year (they have a house there), because So Cal is too cold for them, even we never have any snow here and coldest night in the last 25-30 years was 28F for 1 night. To them below 70F is too cold.

I have set-up fish houses & gone ice fishing several times when it's been -35 to -39. It's really eerie & feels weird as everything that's normally easily bendable is very, very stiff and it almost feels like it's gonna break.

A lot of people call us "hardy". I think it's true. I can handle the elements and it's almost like a "challenge".

Bring it!!

It hasn't been cold yet so...

I do what I gotta do,as always.

I goto the gym,build plastic models,watch movies on the big 55-inch TV,surf the net,I get by just fine until it starts warming up again in March.

Turk,

I think you posted pictures of your fishing tent on a frozen MN lake a few years ago.

I'll keep my 70° F winter temps in Florida
wink.gif

56?? Lol....I'm in shorts and a sweatshirt!

I like silk the best. Incredibly warm for the weight. Other clothes easily slide over it, very easy to pack (no bulk).

That's my favorite thing to do in the winter also. I love hiking on a cold winter day!!

Cold winter day??
crackmeup2.gif
You're in South Texas!!

Come up to Minnesota in a day or so when it's -15F with a 20 MPH wind.
thumbsup2.gif

Haha I admit "cold" weather to me starts at 50F :p

It was -10F last Wed. morning; warmed up to 20 the next day. Felt like a heat wave! 50F and I'm barbecuing in my shorts in January.

It's hard to describe "braving the elements" to people who are "at ease, or comfortable" all the time with the weather...

We are very hardy, and we are quite resourceful.

Words or phrases that come to mind are:

- Pioneering
- Challenging
- Thrive in the face of adversity
- In your face, cold weather, you're not going to get in my way of figuring out ways of enjoying life

Paraphrasing Jeep: "It's a Minnesota thing, you wouldn't understand."

Go watch Grumpy Old Men.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I LIKE 4 seasons!

Around here, we have that! Too cold, too hot, too wet, and road construction.
frown.gif

It's hard to describe "braving the elements" to people who are "at ease, or comfortable" all the time with the weather...

We are very hardy, and we are quite resourceful.

Words or phrases that come to mind are:

- Pioneering
- Challenging
- Thrive in the face of adversity
- In your face, cold weather, you're not going to get in my way of figuring out ways of enjoying life

Paraphrasing Jeep: "It's a Minnesota thing, you wouldn't understand."

Go watch Grumpy Old Men.

I think if I was forced to live in a place like that I'd make myself go out and do things. Ice fishing would be one. I've always wanted to try that in one of those heated sheds.

But....all things being equal...no way I'd choose to live in a place that cold.

One thing to consider about people that live in warm/hot climates is that in summer months...it's not exactly a cake-walk.

Ever gone for a summer hike in 115 degrees in the desert of southern Arizona? Not for the weak or fragile. It "cools" down into the 80's or 90's at night though.

My mom/dad were thinking of retiring to Florida or Arizona, but when visiting in summer found they would be mostly inside for the same amount of time-but the opposite reason (season) than Minnesota. Turned out it worked out ok as they had enough friends to visit down south in winter and those folks were happy to visit them in the summer time lake counry. My dad did miss some of the snowblower activity tho=loved running his big Ariens all over.

You guys are tough, no doubt about it! I live in the coldest state of Australia, but even here it's rare for the temperature to drop below 2 degrees celsius. I work outdoors a lot, and even though our winter is mild compared to yours, I still hate it! Give me warmth any day. Yes, I'm soft!

Here in Europe we survive the cold (-20 to -40 Celsius) by wearing thermal underwear. That's all there is to it.
There are some wimps who stay inside next to a fire, but most of us don't care. Last Christmas I did my clutch, along with a LWFW, on my back in the snow.
Cold is but a state of mind.

Olas, you're probably right, but when my entire body is shivering and I can't feel my fingers and toes, my mind agrees that it's too bloody cold!

You Can't feel your fingers in minus 2c?! You Aussies are so soft! Maybe we'll plan the next one day test match to fall on a cold day so we have a chance of beating you!
wink.gif

Lol, not minus 2, I'm talking about plus 2! Yeah, I freely admit to be being soft when it comes to cold weather. Then again, we laughed when the English press were reporting a heat wave in the UK last year - it was something like 22 degrees! That isn't a heat wave, come back when it's 40 plus, for weeks on end! I guess it's all about what you're used to.

"One day test"? Ha, even the mighty Australian cricket team couldn't wrap the Poms up THAT quick...we'd need at least 3 days I reckon! Even India pushed us to 4
smile.gif

Here is the next few days, in Degrees F......

I'll be out Ice Fishing in this. Bring it, I will survive!!

Again, in (F)
laugh.gif

28j9tg1.jpg

I see these threads and I'm so happy to live in south Texas. I'll take our 2 seasons any day. Yes, it's gets scorching hot, but I'll take that over cold any day.

I spent a year in Wyoming and if I never see snow again I'll be just fine. When I had a week long break in school I took a bus back here to Texas for the week. When I got on the bus in Laramie at 5pm on Friday it was about -10. I got to San Antonio at 2:45am Saturday night and the temp was 85 and 90% humidity. It was between 100-105 during the day the entire week. For the first 3 days the heat was unbearable. After that I was fine. But what really blew was going back to Wyoming at the end of the week. I couldn't get warm for a few days and ended up getting sick.

I'm happy here where we have 1 month of a slight winter and 11 months of summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back