How do you survive cold weather ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Anything above freezing around here is T-shirt weather. We survive by boilers or wood burning stoves, bourbon, wool socks, insulated jeans, snow tires, snow blowers, traction sand, quality winter coats and of course 0W-XX motor oil.

I saw out-of-state visitors on New Year Rose Parade on TV, they are ones without any protective clothing and locals have 2-3 layers of heavy coats.

You guys don't need jacket(s) for 50-60 F ? I have sweater on when it is below 70, another layer on when it is below 63-65.

Originally Posted By: supton
When it gets down to freezing we grab a sweater. When the wind picks up we'll put a wind breaker over that. When it goes down to 0F we'll break out the winter jackets and whatnot.

Jokes aside I've found 20F and down to 10F to be great hiking weather. ground is good and hard, no standing water, and I sweat a lot less. I'm not sure it's easier to work on the car but again, when the ground is hard it's a bit easier to crawl around on the ground.

Nick, the seat heaters get turned on in my car sometime in October, and run until sometime in April. I just turn down to 3 or so, which is pretty low. I find that after about 5 minute on 5 it gets nice and toasty. Once in a while I'll use 4, like in cold weather and I'm waiting to get heat--like when it takes 10 miles at 60mph to get the temp gauge to move.
Yeah I've been using the seat warmer for about a month, usually keep it on 5 unless it gets too hot and I don't use the heater much, maybe click it on for a minute or so at a time. It definately is MUCH colder where you are and my car is garaged 99% of the time. It's quite loud in the cold and a little gutless for the first couple miles. At about 45-50 degrees outside it takes about 5-6 miles for my heater to be usable, not hot, but usable. I started it at 36 degrees a few weeks ago out of town, it wasn't too thrilled with that! Sounded like a backhoe for a little bit haha. That's likely the coldest it's ever been started.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

You guys don't need jacket(s) for 50-60 F ? I have sweater on when it is below 70, another layer on when it is below 63-65.

I wear a t-shirt and shorts down to about 50°F. If it's colder I add a thin jacket. Below 40°F I wear long pants and a thicker jacket over a t-shirt.

hotwheels

Well this winter has been warm for us. Usually we've got snow that stays by Halloween. Then -25c til Christmas,then -35 til February then it starts to warm up.
However we can get blizzards til the end of May.
This year I can count how many -25c nights we've had on one hand.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I survive it a lot better than hot weather. I hate the heat.
This is me as well. I cannot stand the hot humid days we get in the summer.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Anything above freezing around here is T-shirt weather. We survive by boilers or wood burning stoves, bourbon, wool socks, insulated jeans, snow tires, snow blowers, traction sand, quality winter coats and of course 0W-XX motor oil.

I saw out-of-state visitors on New Year Rose Parade on TV, they are ones without any protective clothing and locals have 2-3 layers of heavy coats.

I wear shorts till the outside temps get below 40 degrees!

Mental toughness and acclimatization. Your body adjusts. In my younger days I climbed ice now I just go for basic mountaineering. Northern New England will see -20F to -30F for a few days/weeks each winter. I camped in -20's but frankly ran down Mt. Jackson in the dark at -28 as I was scared. It was dark at 5pm. I had the right equipment but that temp made me feel sooo uneasy I couldn't mentally even try to deal. I truly believe I made the right choice.

I had an 89 Blazer that sat in those temps for 6hours and when I started it I had trouble. I've never heard a vehcile sound like that in my life. I didnt think it would start. Now, I know if it was left overnight it most likely wouldnt have.

When I lived in a warmer place, where I grew up, I wouldn't do stuff outside in the winter until we hit a warm spell, like 65 degrees or more (like working on the car, if it could wait). It certainly happend often enough there. Where I live now, any day above freezing in the winter is fine for outdoor activities, and a 50 degree day that's sunny is considered warm. As to how do I do it, you have to dress for it. Inside it's easy enough to stay warm if you have heat (and insulation helps a lot there, since a lot of older houses have little or none. My house was built in 1950 and when I bought it in 2003 it had no insulation - now that was cold).

And if you are retired and don't have to go to work, then if it snows it really doesn't matter since you don't have to go to work.

My first summer here I thought that the weather was totally awesome. After that, It's just hot and humid now that I am used to colder temps.

If I didn't have to work in it I wouldn't mind the winter, winter sports are fun.

End of Feb early March it just starts to drag on than you want it to be over.

I prefer 10-20 degrees over freezing anyday. Less weird humidity, puddles growing out of the concrete floor of my garage. Ice gets less slippery the colder it gets, too. My gravel driveway gets a nice sheen of ice and it's finally smooth. I dust it with sand and call it good.

Working on cars stinks below 10 degrees though, the bolts get more brittle and shear more easily.

I'm wary of snowless cold winters, as my pipes have frozen in the past, though I think by leaving the thermostat on fixed (not set-back at night) during the coldest nights keeps that from creeping up. Snow around the foundation = insulation and keeps things working.

Where is the so called Global Warming ?

Good Question!

To survive cold weather, bundle up. Many layers of clothing, thinner at the core and heavier outer layers. Hat, gloves, scarf and a BITOG car that starts right away with snow tires.
Oh and a tad of snake oil in the gas tank.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
I have found that as I have gotten older, my tolerance for winter has decreased. I'm in my early 40s and I am fed up with the cold, snow and dark days. Some days I don't even want to get out of bed because of it. I'm afraid to see what I'll be like in my 50s.

I'm in my 50's.....and it's worse.

I too am fed up with cold, damp, and dark winter days. They stink.

Every year it get's worse for me. It wasn't always like this. When I was younger I'd go out running in the cold, wet, weather. Play basketball. Hike. I even used to go out boating on the water where it's really nasty. Fishing, wearing waders, at 7am, in the middle of a river too....ice on my rod guides. Not any more.

I think it might have something to do with our metabolic rate as we age. It gets harder to warm up...unless you eat all the time and are overweight.

Spring seems to get further away as I age.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I survive it a lot better than hot weather. I hate the heat.
This is me as well. I cannot stand the hot humid days we get in the summer.

I hear ya. In my youth I could handle any heat and muscle out a 12 hour work day.
Now if I don't have a hat and shirt on I can feel myself losing my temper. Gone are the days of no shirts and tans that made the ladies jealous.
Now I have a farmers tan,and a cotton shirt. Once the shirt gets wet any breath of wind feels like air conditioning.
I would rather the cold. I'll add a layer. When it's hot you can only take off so much.

I HATE cold weather. My sister is the opposite. She has lived in NH/VT for almost 15 years now. Even before she moved there, she was the one who likes to go skiing, went to college in the mountains, etc.

Me, I'll take triple digits hands down over anything below 50*F. I can deal with it down to freezing, but below freezing I am an angry person unless it's snowing. I absolutely hate when it's freezing and not snowing.

I actually do like snow, in moderation, but cold winters with no snow [censored] me off. We get a lot of that in the South. It will be 30*F here with a wind chill of -1000*F, and raining. [censored]?

Heat doesn't bother me that much. I get a little uncomfortable over 90*F, but I can manage just fine and acclimate fairly quickly when summer hits. I just can't acclimate to below freezing cold though.

Working on cars REALLY sucks in the cold. I absolutely hate busting my knuckles on cold parts and tools. Around October or November I do an oil change and whatever other maintenance is coming up on my truck so that I won't have to do anything until spring.

When I was on deployment to Djibouti, Africa, some Alaska National Guard air crew flew in...

Think Frosty the Snowman, in a sauna...

Sweating puddles on the floor.

I told them it was winter (95-100 degrees) and that they should come back in the summer (140-150 degrees)...

I don't mind cold, but the worst time for me is the transition from warm to cold because even mild temps, like around freezing feel really cold. But once you get used to regular winter temps, around 0F, and then the temp goes up to 30s-40s you feel like wearing a t- shirt.
It's all a matter of what your body gets accustomed to. For me, I can't imagine standing 100f weather in almost 100% humidity.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
When it's colder than a Cast Iron Toilet on the Shady side of an Ice-burg,
I do projects in the house.

Did you know that if you walk up behind a person and touch their neck with an ice-cube,
for a fraction of a second you can make them think they got burned ...... just saying.

Edit: I heat my house in the Summer and air condition it in the Winter.

I know if you walk up behind ME and touch my neck with an ice cube, you might get your jaw broken!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back