How do you survive cold weather ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Anything above freezing around here is T-shirt weather. We survive by boilers or wood burning stoves, bourbon, wool socks, insulated jeans, snow tires, snow blowers, traction sand, quality winter coats and of course 0W-XX motor oil.

I saw out-of-state visitors on New Year Rose Parade on TV, they are ones without any protective clothing and locals have 2-3 layers of heavy coats.

You guys don't need jacket(s) for 50-60 F ? I have sweater on when it is below 70, another layer on when it is below 63-65.

I work outside in shorts down to ~55, and a T-shirt down to 40. I'm fine down to ~50 in summer motorcycle gear with a flannel shirt under the jacket, even at 75MPH.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Mental toughness and acclimatization. Your body adjusts. In my younger days I climbed ice now I just go for basic mountaineering. Northern New England will see -20F to -30F for a few days/weeks each winter. I camped in -20's but frankly ran down Mt. Jackson in the dark at -28 as I was scared. It was dark at 5pm. I had the right equipment but that temp made me feel sooo uneasy I couldn't mentally even try to deal. I truly believe I made the right choice.

I had an 89 Blazer that sat in those temps for 6hours and when I started it I had trouble. I've never heard a vehcile sound like that in my life. I didnt think it would start. Now, I know if it was left overnight it most likely wouldnt have.

It should. 1989 was EFI...should fire right up even at that temp. Unless you had a weak battery, of course!

You guys haven't lived until you had to wake up in the middle-of-the-night
to go poop in an outhouse when it's -30F.

shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I survive it a lot better than hot weather. I hate the heat.
This is me as well. I cannot stand the hot humid days we get in the summer.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

And the feeling (imaginary, but still annoying) that every breath you take, your lungs have to strain out a pint of water before they get their oxygen. Around here, of course, the inhabitants insist on holding all sorts of festivals in weather that would stun a Cape buffalo -- and love to sit outdoors in that heat and eat slimy insectoids known here as "crawfish." (Personally I think it's just a way for grownups to play with their food.)

I hate cold weather! I survive by swearing about it a lot, and taking trips down to warmer weather as much as I can afford! We just got back from 6 days in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, where it was sunny and 80-82 degrees every single day. And in six weeks time we are spending 4 days in Florida (flying into Fort Lauderdale and then driving to Cape Coral for one day, then driving to Miami for the rest of the trip) When we retire we plan on spending all of the cold months in Florida so that we never have to see snow or feel cold ever again.

Originally Posted By: Turk
You guys haven't lived until you had to wake up in the middle-of-the-night
to go poop in an outhouse when it's -30F.

shocked2.gif

You must have one arctic-enabled sphincter.

I survive it because the nastiest McFarland Signature weather event never lasts more than a week.

Cold air pushes down from Manitoba and there is nothing in Kansas or Nebraska to stop it.

Brownsville is roughly the same latitude as Miami, FL, and they have been as low as 15°F...nothing to stop it.

Invariably, it will be back up to 60°F in a week or so.

When I was in college up north? I never thought I would be warm again. The only time I could get warm was in the shower. I never could acclimate to the cold. First sunny day in the 40s and everyone else was in shorts. I still couldn't get warm

The past couple years I developed a low level fever around March, that would go away the day I arrive at Florida for vacation. The fever was verified by thermometer. I never bother to use the a/c in Florida so my body can warm up.

Both my wife and I enjoy both the cold and hot weather. When it's cold we like to bundle up and go walking the bike trails. Since no one else is around we are treated to and incredible array of wildlife.

When it snows we enjoy strapping on the snowshoes and walking the trails. It is great exercise, and to top it off the cold weather burns more calories so it's easier to keep fit in the cold.

There's nothing better than snowshoeing on one of the bike trails on an extremely cold winters day, stopping and just listening to the silence for a while.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Both my wife and I enjoy both the cold and hot weather. When it's cold we like to bundle up and go walking the bike trails. Since no one else is around we are treated to and incredible array of wildlife.

When it snows we enjoy strapping on the snowshoes and walking the trails. It is great exercise, and to top it off the cold weather burns more calories so it's easier to keep fit in the cold.

There's nothing better than snowshoeing on one of the bike trails on an extremely cold winters day, stopping and just listening to the silence for a while.

That's my favorite thing to do in the winter also. I love hiking on a cold winter day!!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

That's my favorite thing to do in the winter also. I love hiking on a cold winter day!!

Cold winter day??
crackmeup2.gif
You're in South Texas!!

Come up to Minnesota in a day or so when it's -15F with a 20 MPH wind.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I remember in college a colleague getting mad at me for admitting to riding my bike on what was marked as the bike path. I guess he thought because they groomed the snow it was now cross country skiing only. If that was true then they would have marked it as multi-use!

I do enjoy a good hike on the colder days. A few years ago a few of us hardy souls (or fools) snowshoed up Kearsarge in the dark. The hiking was good but the breeze was brutal at the top. But the view... Could see the city lights for miles. Could see endless stars too. Nothing like low humidity to really bring out the stars.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I LIKE 4 seasons!

The older I get the more I enjoy the changing of seasons it seems. Can get tired of endless heat and humidity just as well as getting tired of wind and cold.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I LIKE 4 seasons!

The older I get the more I enjoy the changing of seasons it seems. Can get tired of endless heat and humidity just as well as getting tired of wind and cold.

This.

Cold makes the air beautifully crisp and refreshing. I love walking with my dog during the winter months. He's built for the cold.
I also appreciate the beauty that is autumn. The colours Mother Nature paints for us are glorious.
Spring breezes are a wonderful array of lilacs and new blooms as the trees bud and leaves grow back to invite us back and enjoy their shade.
So I am in the 4 seasons camp. You need them all otherwise you can't appreciate the Beaty if each one.
If you live where it's always summer,or always winter you lose the wonderment and the excitement of the coming changes as you grow weary of too hot or too cold.
I love being outdoors. It's one of the perks of my job. And I take the good and the bad in stride. You need the adversity so you can appreciate the beauty.
I got no sleep last night so am I even making sense? My mind wanders and I write novels when insomnia has me in her grasp.
So I appologize if I've gone way overboard.

I'm more of the 3 seasons type, I could do without summer. I'm sure it's nice elsewhere but in VA it's just humid and miserable.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Cold winter day??
crackmeup2.gif
You're in South Texas!!

Come up to Minnesota in a day or so when it's -15F with a 20 MPH wind.
thumbsup2.gif

Haha I admit "cold" weather to me starts at 50F :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back