How do you read this tire size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
26X10.50-15LT

How do you read these tire sizes?

I understand 215/60/R16 no problem.

Thanks.

Skyactiv has the sizing right. Not necessarily a bias ply though. A lot of off-road tires are sized like that, even if they're radials. It's sometimes seen for drag radials and slicks too.

Oddly enough, that notation is most common on 15" and 17" wheels it seems. I've seen it for 16s, but most 16s are metric sizes.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Not necessarily a bias ply though.

It is indeed a bias ply tire. The hyphen indicates bias ply construction. Sometimes a D [for diagonal] is used instead of a hyphen.

B indicates belted bias and R indicates radial.

The LT at the end means Light Truck.

Going between metric and the "standard" size rating really confuses people.

I have 235/85-15. Which measures 32'' tall.

I had a group leader tell me my tires were too small and that I needed at least 31'' tires to run with a group.

Thank you for the answer, makes sense now.

I wasn't sure on how to read that. So... my conclusion now is that a metric tire size 215/60/16 measures different parts of a tire as compared to a 26x10.5-15.

26 inch tall tire
tread is 10.5 inches wide
rim is a 15 inch rim
LT means light truck tire

Even though it is labeled as a "light truck" tire, that size is commonly a bias ply drag tire or similar muscle car size tire. Most truck tires would be 28-33 inches tall in that width and rim size.

Originally Posted By: redhat
So... my conclusion now is that a metric tire size 215/60/16 measures different parts of a tire as compared to a 26x10.5-15.

215/60/16

-tread width is 215MM
-tires sidewall height from the rim to the tread is 60% of the tread width (215mm x 60% = 129MM tall sidewall
-rim diameter is 16 inches
-to get the tire diameter, add the rim size (16) plus the sidewall height times two (16 inches plus 258mm (10.15 inches)
-215/60/16 is a 26.15/8.46/16 tire
-26.15 inches tall, 8.46 inch wide tread, 16 inch rim

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: redhat
So... my conclusion now is that a metric tire size 215/60/16 measures different parts of a tire as compared to a 26x10.5-15.

215/60/16

-tread width is 215MM
-tires sidewall height from the rim to the tread is 60% of the tread width (215mm x 60% = 129MM tall sidewall
-rim diameter is 16 inches
-to get the tire diameter, add the rim size (16) plus the sidewall height times two (16 inches plus 258mm (10.15 inches)
-215/60/16 is a 26.15/8.46/16 tire
-26.15 inches tall, 8.46 inch wide tread, 16 inch rim

Actually, 215 is the section width in millimeters. The tread width is less. The rest is correct. The second number is known as the aspect ratio which, as stated, is the percentage of height to width. 1 inch=25.4mm

Just an FYI:

A 26X10.50-15LT is called a "Flotation" size. It is part of a family of tire sizes that are done a bit differently than passenger car tires in the metric sizing system.

There are (and were) other tire sizing systems, but what they all have in common is 3 dimensions: a section width, a rim diameter, and some way to calculate the section height. In the case of metric tires, the aspect ratio gets you the section height. In the case of a Flotation size, the first number is the overall diameter (and you subtract the rim diameter).

One such sizing system looks like this: 7.35-14 - and the tire is 7.3" wide with a 14" rim with an aspect ratio of 82 (which you get because of the "35".

I go into more detail here:

Barry's Tire tech - Tire Sizing

Section width is the widest part of the tire at the sidewall and will vary with changes in wheel width. This is why tire specifications are given along with the measuring rim width.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Just an FYI:

A 26X10.50-15LT is called a "Flotation" size. It is part of a family of tire sizes that are done a bit differently than passenger car tires in the metric sizing system.

There are (and were) other tire sizing systems, but what they all have in common is 3 dimensions: a section width, a rim diameter, and some way to calculate the section height. In the case of metric tires, the aspect ratio gets you the section height. In the case of a Flotation size, the first number is the overall diameter (and you subtract the rim diameter).

One such sizing system looks like this: 7.35-14 - and the tire is 7.3" wide with a 14" rim with an aspect ratio of 82 (which you get because of the "35".

I go into more detail here:

Barry's Tire tech - Tire Sizing

Thank you, very informative!

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Section width is the widest part of the tire at the sidewall and will vary with changes in wheel width. This is why tire specifications are given along with the measuring rim width.

Oh neat. I have same size tires on different width rims and it is quite noticable the amount the sidewall sticks out more on the narrow wheel versus the wider one. It looks like it will handle and be more stable too, even though it would seem obvious a wider wheel would seem more stable, but for a different reason of thought.

Back in the day I had a Dodge Dakot and got I think 5" wheels and wanted 235/75-15 on there. The tire shop said it was possible, so we had it done. The tire/wheels would not stand on their own, basically squeezed the stuffing out of the tire when mounted. It rode fine, but these were AT Dayton Timberlines and I got stuck on damp grass one time. I nearly bald a tire trying to spin my way out of it and happened to about start a fire doing so.....right near the fuel tank.

Btw on my current truck, the tire sizes suggested rim width is 6.5-8". I have 6.5 steels and 8 alloys. Might be fun riding around with the different footprint and much lighter rotating mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back