How Do You Handle the 5 Quart Jugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
best funnel I have found for cheap...cut the top 1/3 off a oil qt bottle and turn it upside down. nice and wide and cheap and with the smaller neck with threads on it, it locks in nicely into most oil fill holes.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Tilting the jug to its side works every time for me, no matter the jug design.

same for me. jugs have never been an issue.

Originally Posted By: Alex38

+1

Originally Posted By: Alex38

Yep, like the rest here I adapted this technique from antifreeze bottles. If you can control your tilt it's a perfect continuous stream without air gulping.

One thing I found interesting was that some one quart bottles have a recommended pouring technique embossed on the bottle. It's backwards from what one might intuitively use, but makes sense when a bit of thought is applied.

Whomever said that the Delvac jugs were great is correct. Best packaging one could ask for. Probably rough on the case/pallet measure though.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Just use a big funnel so that you have two hands free. I really prefer the big jugs. They are a much more convenient place to put the old oil than pouring it into five individual bottles.

lol.gif

LOL, I didn't even notice that before. Context is a funny thing.
lol.gif

Hopefully I didn't just get jugs added to the censor.

SIMPLE - You hold it the OPPOSITE way. The handle part, goes DOWN, and the spout part is up. You tip the whole jug almost to 90 degrees, but with the spout UP,and handle DOWN, nothing is pouring out yet. Then tip the jug a bit more, and oil will start to pour. There will be NO GLUG GLUG GLUG, by this method, because of the method, the oil always pours PERFECTLY, and WITHOUT SPILL. I NEVER have to use a funnel.

If you pour the "normal" way, with the handle up, then you get the GLUG GLUG GLUG type action, with oil spilling everywhere. So, handle goes down, and the spout is up, perfect every time.

If you are pouring ATF, the hole is very small, and far away. In case like that, still pour the fluid with this method, but you MUST have funnel. This is for ATF ONLY. For motor oil, you are hitting a very large target, so you only need a funnel if it is very windy and you are working outside.

Last edited:
You can get a cheap twistable shut off valve that screws onto the top, has worked great for me, shuts right off even turned over and doesn't leak. I paid .25 for mine on clearance and has adapters for 3 different spout sizes. Look for the red ones at advanced, thats where I got mine.

A funnel is all you need.
You can pick up cheapies for fifty or sixty cents, and throw them away after each use.
The jugs are actually pretty handy, since they pour quick and easy, and give you a sturdy container for the drained oil.

I good wide funnel is all you need, and pour with the handle down. Honestly though I'd rather buy 5 qts and a filter during one of the OC specials at AAP than use a 5 qt jug.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The only thing I didnt like about it was I only need 4 Litre on the 'Roo, So firstly, I dump 0.7qt in a clean empty "used" qt oil bottle, and the rest goes in the engine through a med-size funnel. No Biggie. The leftover Qt is used for topoff for this car through its 5K-6k OCI and fits nicely in the rear door "pocket".

I do close to the same thing. I take a clean 1 quart empty oil bottle, fill it from the 5 quart jug and then take the 4 quarts in the jug with a funnel dump it into the engine (all my vehicles take close to or more than 4 quarts).

Then I use the single quart to fill it up after starting the engine up and checking for leaks. Then what ever is left in that single bottle is used for adding oil.

I love the 5 quart oil bottles since they allow us to save $$ for the same product over single quart bottles. Plus when filled with water they explode better when shot.
48.gif

I love the 5 quart oil bottles since they allow us to save $$ for the same product over single quart bottles. Plus when filled with water they explode better when shot.

Well, there is that.

I punch a small hole in the highest point of the jug top handle with an awl, pour off the first quart into another clean container and use a funnel. I still usually spill a little. I prefer the quart sizes but am too cheap to pay more for them.

A radiator funnel with the large opening will stay put very well in most cars. The opening is the right size to fit the oil fill hole just right so the funnel stays in position. It's like the radiator funnels were designed just for this application.

Also you can make sure the mouth of the bottle is at the top when pouring, not the bottom so the oil can flow consistently. You still need a funnel though.

I consider myself an expert at handling big jugs. You need strong hands, with a good grip, but not too tight. I only look for and handle big jugs now, as once you get used to handling them, you won't want the smaller ones.

Originally Posted By: D Bone
I consider myself an expert at handling big jugs. You need strong hands, with a good grip, but not too tight. I only look for and handle big jugs now, as once you get used to handling them, you won't want the smaller ones.

I'm perfectly happy handling the smaller jugs. (the quart containers)

Originally Posted By: eljefino

For funnels, I cut the top portion off of 2 liter soda bottles.

I do the same thing sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back