How Do You Handle the 5 Quart Jugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil in my 2005 Honda Pilot and used PP in a 5 quart jug for the 1st time. I had some oil dripping down the side and it was rather a challenge to handle. I know many of you use the 4 and 5 quart jugs. Are there any "best practices" for making this mess proof and easier? Thanks!

By the handle!!! Joking!

I don't like them as they are far to difficult to pour into a smallish oil fill hole. Sticking with the tried and true 1L bottles.

I like the design of Valvoline jugs. They can be easily poured with one hand, while holding the funnel with the other hand.

jackkpts,

1. Use a BIG, funnel. It may look funny, but it helps a ton. By big I mean wide, not tall.

2. Your big funnel will allow you to center the jug and begin to pour a good rate so that you don't get the side drip. Depending on the jug, you can do this with one hand with the other holding the funnel for the first 3 qts or so.

3. Depending on how tall you are and the vehicle, a step of some sort. 04 Tahoe is not an easy reach, stretching with 5 qts in hand. We have a cinder block that has served this purpose for years. This really helps with # 2 above.

I have a super big round funnel and another funnel that allows you to drop the whole qt. bottle upside down into it .... these work well.

Last edited:
The only thing I didnt like about it was I only need 4 Litre on the 'Roo, So firstly, I dump 0.7qt in a clean empty "used" qt oil bottle, and the rest goes in the engine through a med-size funnel. No Biggie. The leftover Qt is used for topoff for this car through its 5K-6k OCI and fits nicely in the rear door "pocket".

With SPOUS 5 quart jugs. You have to turn them on their side to pour them. This burps the bottle of air.

Originally Posted By: jackkpts
I had some oil dripping down the side and it was rather a challenge to handle.

I've had the same problem, so I know what you're talking about. That's why I too prefer the smaller 1-quart bottles, though I'm not going to pay more to get a bunch of single quarts when a jug is cheaper. HondaMan's wide funnel suggestion is a good one, but there's still the possibility you'll over shoot or drip short. I've had luck with a tall funnel where I can put the jug's opening right into/against it. I've also seen spouts that you can buy for the top of jugs but I've never tried one and I don't know if all jugs have the same sized/threaded opening such that a single spout like that would always work.

Just use a big funnel so that you have two hands free. I really prefer the big jugs. They are a much more convenient place to put the old oil than pouring it into five individual bottles.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Just use a big funnel so that you have two hands free. I really prefer the big jugs. They are a much more convenient place to put the old oil than pouring it into five individual bottles.

lol.gif

Was pleased as punch to find delvac gallon bottles have a little built in spout/funnel type doodad. It gets the stream of oil out an inch and a half, so it's not inclined to dribble, and it pours slowly enough one can get a good coherent stream.

For funnels, I cut the top portion off of 2 liter soda bottles. A quart oil bottle would also be a good donor. You need something that lays still for the first splash as you generally want both hands to steady the jug.

Pour the 5qt container fast with confidence. I pour out roughly 3 or so qts quickly. Then survey the amount still required to dump in.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

For funnels, I cut the top portion off of 2 liter soda bottles. A quart oil bottle would also be a good donor. You need something that lays still for the first splash as you generally want both hands to steady the jug.

Why pay for funnel when you can have a perfectly working home made for free ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Why pay for funnel when you can have a perfectly working home made for free ?

Plastic cuts.

Originally Posted By: jackkpts
Are there any "best practices" for making this mess proof and easier? Thanks!

Yeah grab that jug like a man and show it who's boss. You don't want to have to ever (again) admit to being pwned by a 5 quart lug of oil. On a more serious note use a funnel and getting messy is part of being a man and changing your own oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The only thing I didnt like about it was I only need 4 Litre on the 'Roo, So firstly, I dump 0.7qt in a clean empty "used" qt oil bottle, and the rest goes in the engine through a med-size funnel. No Biggie. The leftover Qt is used for topoff for this car through its 5K-6k OCI and fits nicely in the rear door "pocket".

Yeah but Arco,lawn mower oil doesnt come in a 5quart jug.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Tilting the jug to its side works every time for me, no matter the jug design.

Yup, this prevents "glug glug".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back