How come there are no more wiper blade inserts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only find the whole wiper assembly with the plastic/metal arm. I would like to use the original wiper that come with my car and replace only the rubber, what happened?

I remember I used to be able to buy only the inserts back in 2000s or so, yeah, I haven't change mine in that long.

AAP carries refills. My Trico winter blades have lasted 2 years. They get used all year and the rubber blade is still in good shape. I'm just waiting for them to go 50% off at AAP again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Outlawed in California!

Why? Does it have something to do with Arnold?

Originally Posted By: PT1
yeah but it is really wasteful.

Perhaps. Fortunately steel, as used in the wiper frame, is exceedingly inexpensive and easily recycled if you're so inclined.

Of course, I doubt many people recycle it.

I asked the local Toyota dealer, as their wipers are made in the US and seem to be pretty darn good. They don't sell refills anymore, just the whole assembly. At $25/blade, it's not a good deal either.

Anyone know any decent, US- or European-made wipers that are widely available (e.g. at AutoZone, Checker, etc.) and modestly priced, either as refills or as the whole wiper?

Sure I can replace the whole wiper, but like you all said, I don't like to waste resource.

I also found that the after market wiper to not last as long, and I can see the joint rattle before the rubber is worn out.

Is there any place that I can get the wiper by the roll and cut it myself?

I buy the Walmart low-end brand wiper assemblies and they work great on all my vehicles. They only last a year or 2, but they only cost $3 or so.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Outlawed in California!

Why? Does it have something to do with Arnold?

probably has something to do with alot of retarted lawmakers in california.

Mazda offers both the insert and whole blades. In most cases they have the inserts priced to that the whole blades are cheaper or only a few cents more.

Autozone usually has them. You just have to ask, they're in the back, as the don't make as much profit, and the employees don't like to hassle with them, since the people that tend to ask for them need help installing them. If the store is slow, it's not a bid deal, but if there's a line, it really slows things down.

Do a favor and bring your old frame in so we can see if it takes the wide or narrow style inserts. Not knowing the size is annoying, because if you know enough to get inserts, you should at least know what size you need.

Some of the 'blades' on newer vehicles don't have replacable 'refills'.
At least it seems that way.
I would think they are available though if you look hard enough.
'Refills' don't seem to last long in my experience.
The cheaper 'refills' last a year or less.

I replace half a dozen a day....more in summer because that's when they deteriorate most.It's part of our safety inspection.We use Wurth refills.

It's easier to change the whole blade then mess with the insert. That may be why that's mostly what you see on the shelves.

I recently purchased a set of Toyota inserts at the dealer for $11/pair.

It took me a minute or two to install them, which is just slightly longer than what it takes me to install entire blade assembly.

I still prefer replacing the entire blade assembly because the metal portion of the blade wears out overtime. On the Saturn, my dad tried refills but the wiper blade fell apart (it was a few years old) and left a very deep scratch on the windshield. If he had instead installed replacement blades, that would have never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back