Rain-X Latitude Water Repellency Wiper Blades

I am normally a fan of Dealer (or NWB) wiper blades, but my sister was in town for a few days and WM was able to bring these to my door for $16.57/ea.

As with most aftermarket blades, it took some fumbling to get these properly secured to 9x3 j-hooks. The rubber seems a bit hard compared to NWB’s rubber, but that usually improves a bit after some use. The wiping performance is perfect for now - no smears or chatter - we’ll see if it stays that way.

Her last set of $6 Denso Conventional wipers (NWB) lasted a year but are no longer available from Rockauto.

IMG_6956.jpeg

IMG_6964.jpeg

IMG_6963.jpeg

$31 is cheaper than the $80 mentioned in the other thread for wipers. They say they're "longer lasting" but what is that compared to? I know the cheap wipers just don't last that's for sure. I'm sure the sister is happy you've replaced the old ones.

$31 is cheaper than the $80 mentioned in the other thread for wipers. They say they're "longer lasting" but what is that compared to? I know the cheap wipers just don't last that's for sure. I'm sure the sister is happy you've replaced the old ones.
Rain X wipers and fluid paired together can last longer than other wipers and the regular blue fluid. Rain X fluid causes the water to bead which increases visibility and decreases the need to use the higher speed settings. You’ll use them less so they will last longer. All you have to do is spray the window a little bit right as it starts raining or before driving in the rain. I’ve been using Rain X blades and fluids for years and will not use anything else.

I am normally a fan of Dealer (or NWB) wiper blades, but my sister was in town for a few days and WM was able to bring these to my door for $16.57/ea.

As with most aftermarket blades, it took some fumbling to get these properly secured to 9x3 j-hooks. The rubber seems a bit hard compared to NWB’s rubber, but that usually improves a bit after some use. The wiping performance is perfect for now - no smears or chatter - we’ll see if it stays that way.

Her last set of $6 Denso Conventional wipers (NWB) lasted a year but are no longer available from Rockauto.

View attachment 194812
View attachment 194813
View attachment 194814
I've used these before with great results. Colorado ruins blades incredibly fast. I don't think I've ever got more than 6 months out of set short of a pair of Valeos.

View attachment 194812
View attachment 194813
View attachment 194814
After 6 months including a hot summer I replaced the OEM wiper blades on my 2023 Explorer (that parks outside all year) with Rain-X Advantage blades. The Rain-X blades only lasted 6 months over a relatively normal winter, they started streaking and squealing despite repeated cleanings with wiper fluid and Meguiars window cleaner. Rain-X customer service said they do not guarantee any particular life span and would only suggest I try different cleaning products (none made a difference). 6 months during cool winter weather seems poor performance for blades boasting they last "2 times longer" (yeah, than what?) and costing $40 apiece. Against my better judgement I purchased another set, hoping they perform longer over the hot summer, but if they only last six months I'll likely go back to aftermarket OEM at half the price.

I find that silicone blades are far better than other options. I think I’ve seen real silicone blades even at WM.

PIAA has been my go to for silicone blades if I want traditional style.

For our Honda cars we’ve just bought the OE squeegees and replace them. To me that’s the best approach.

Just replaced some Rain-X Expert Fit Hybrid blades on the Wife's Santa Fe, they didn't make it to 1 year before streaking and chattering, yea I cleaned em.

Just installed some PIAA Si-Tech let's see how long these last paid $47 shipped for them.

Just replaced some Rain-X Expert Fit Hybrid blades on the Wife's Santa Fe, they didn't make it to 1 year before streaking and chattering, yea I cleaned em.

Just installed some PIAA Si-Tech let's see how long these last paid $47 shipped for them.
I have PIAA silicone wipers on two cars. They are incredibly durable. They are two years old and still working great. The only downside, other than price, is they are very soft and aren't very good with ice or hard frost. Probably not much of issue for those of you in warm locations.

I had gotten those water repellency wiper blades and they chattered really, really bad after just two months.

I did like the previous Rain X beam wiper blades without the water repellency crap on them and those did very good.

Of note it is important to clean the wiper blades themselves routinely and clean were they sit while not in use routinely… Doing those two things at least every 2-3 weeks greatly helps wiper blades last longer too.

On all of the Honda cars I have had I just get the OEM wiper inserts from Honda and I find they work the best for me.....

View attachment 194812
View attachment 194813
View attachment 194814
My last set of Rain-X blades lasted about a year. Project Farm actually did a comprehensive test on blades not too long ago. The lost lasting set I've had were Valeo but those I only found at Sam's Club.

Update:

These blades are wiping quite poorly after 4 months.
I bought a set of Rain-x wipers when they first came out and had one steak right through my line of sight out of the box on a properly cleaned and prepped windshield. It was the only time in my life that I've returned a wiper. The replacement streaked lower but out of my line of sight. The price was premium, the packaging was premium, but the product was junk. I do see some positive reviews, but I'll never buy them again.

Back