How come most tractor trailers now have LED headlights

but most of the older ones are driven by the same crowd that drive older jeeps and jacked up trucks and think it's fun to blind everyone else on the road. I wish DOT would crack down on this more at the weigh stations, but they look the other way more than folks think.

Probably the same crowd works at the DOT weigh stations.

Now to me meant new, so I say the DOT/FMCSA approved their use for newly minted tractor and trailer combinations.

Yes sir, if they are on new trucks they have to be DOT/FMCSA approved. Unfortunately many older trucks (and passenger vehicles) run lights that say "For off-road use only", which is pretty dangerous when everyone around is blinded. Our fleet used to be all
T-800's (about 65 tractors at our location) and we had some guys that would try to swap out the standard sealed beam headlights with some of those ultra bright "For off-road use only" headlights. That is obviously illegal, so it did not go over too well. At the time we had a perfect CSA score, and we don't need dings over those kind of shenanigans. Unfortunately our score has slipped a bit because of some folks that wanted to hire inexperienced drivers who think more about speed than safety. Luckily they seem to be realizing that now and reversing course.

Because they want to join the "blind everyone with headlights club". Even regular halogen headlight drivers are turning high beams on permanently, it's a sign that our society is devolving into anarchy when you just flip your brights and don't care. It wasn't like this 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Because they want to join the "blind everyone with headlights club". Even regular halogen headlight drivers are turning high beams on permanently, it's a sign that our society is devolving into anarchy when you just flip your brights and don't care. it wasn't like this 5 years ago.
Yes sir. I have noticed a huge change in behavior over the last year or so, folks have gone from at least having some decency and common courtesy to just not caring. Not quite sure what has changed recently 🤔
On a totally different subject, loving the 6 dollar gas!

Back