How bad is idling...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I let my now passed grandmothers 1998 Forester idle 3 three days straight to keep a high powered invertor (6000watt) during an extended power outage.

It still runs fine.

Wow, is that 6000 peak watts? Not avg watts probably...

How much wattage/amperage can a forester alternator put out do you think???

Anyways, that is a great idea for a winter emergency!! I'd like to be able to drive the [censored] furnace, which requires maybe peak 2000 watts and avg ~1000 watts. So if I had a 2500w inverter along with sufficient 12v car batts, plus an idling car, that might work.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Ive always heard that idling isnt good for a car engine, yet there are UOA on here from vehicles that idle and they are decent. Are the UOA just not picking up on excess engine wear or is idling really not that bad? I know at idle you have low oil pressure, would a thinner or thicker oil aid in regards to this? Would a thin oil aid in easier pumpability and make its way to the cams and valves at the top, or would thicker be better. Just wondering, Ive been doing more idling in my car lately and it got me thinking, how bad is it really? Also, is your engine properly cooled at idle? Thanks for any and all help!

Greg,seriously your worrying waaay too much about things.
UOA's are a tool,change your oil when your supposed to,your golden,seriously.

To be honest, more curious than worried. But yes I do have some level of concern.

Just remove your brake pedal....idling problem solved.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
it's also wasteful of fuel and creates more pollutants.

No-Engine-Idling-sign.jpeg

Around here that sign is used mostly for hospitals, high traffic pedestrian walking areas, parking spots so many feet from a door etc. I feel its more of a concern for folks with respiratory issues than the environment.

I remember when gas was $4.60 a gallon and the guys at the boat launch would move up the line 5 feet and turn off their engines. They werent in little 4 cylinders either. Were talking massive tow rigs. 2500 suburbans, expeditions, gasser duallys etc. They would repeat the process as space opened up for them. You want to talk about being wasteful on gas. How much fuel does it take to get an engine going on and off as opposed to simply idling? This is like asking how often a filter goes into bypass. Its pretty hard to say.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How much fuel does it take to get an engine going on and off as opposed to simply idling? This is like asking how often a filter goes into bypass. Its pretty hard to say.

Its actually not that hard to say. Check out a hypermiling forum. They have it all figured out. Apparently, for the average car the break even point is if you can keep the engine off for 10-15 seconds. Anything after that and you are saving gas. That also factors in the alternator load to replace the battery charge used to start the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back